Thread: Club 27
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #364
lightgiver

Lightbulb ID

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick...
Quote:
Ian Robins Dury (12 May 1942 – 27 March 2000) was an English rock and roll singer-songwriter, bandleader, artist, and actor who first rose to fame during the late 1970s, during the punk and new wave era of rock music.. He is best known as the lead singer of the British band Ian Dury and the Blockheads..Dury was born in northwest London at his parents' home at 43 Weald Rise, Harrow Weald, Harrow (though he often pretended that he had been born in Upminster, Havering, and all but one of his obituaries in the UK national press stated this as fact).. His father, William George Dury (born 23 September 1905, Southborough, Kent; died 25 February 1968), was a bus driver and former boxer, while his mother Margaret (known as "Peggy", born Margaret Cuthbertson Walker, 17 April 1910, Rochdale, Lancashire) was a health visitor, the daughter of a Cornish doctor and the granddaughter of an Irish landowner...

He left the school at the age of 16 to study painting at the Walthamstow College of Art, having gained GCE 'O' Levels in English Language, English Literature and Art..Managed first by Charlie Gillett and Gordon Nelki and latterly by fashion entrepreneur Tommy Roberts, the Kilburns found favour on London's pub rock circuit and signed to Dawn Records in 1974, but despite favourable press coverage and a tour opening for English rock band The Who, the group failed to rise above cult status and disbanded in 1975..The group produced two albums: Handsome and Wotabunch (plus a 5-track "Best Of" EP)..In October 1977 Dury and his band started performing as Ian Dury & the Blockheads..Dury's 1981 song "Spasticus Autisticus"—written to show his disdain for that year's International Year of Disabled Persons, which he saw as patronising and counter-productive—was banned by the BBC. Dury was a disabled person himself, having been left crippled by childhood polio.. The lyrics were uncompromising:

So place your hard-earned peanuts in my tin
And thank the Creator you're not in the state I'm in
So long have I been languished on the shelf
I must give all proceedings to myself ...

Dury described the song as "a war cry"on Desert Island Discs..Although the song was banned from being broadcast by the BBC before 6 p.m. when it first came out, it was used at the opening of the London 2012 Paralympics..When AIDS first came to prominence in the mid-1980s, Dury was among celebrities who appeared on UK television to promote safe sex, demonstrating how to put on a condom using a model of an erect penis..It was known for some time before his death that Dury had cancer. He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 1996 and underwent surgery, but tumours were later found in his liver, and he was told that his condition was terminal.. Upon learning of his illness, Dury took the opportunity to marry his girlfriend, sculptor Sophy Tilson, with whom he had had two children, Bill and Albert..In 2002, a "musical bench" was placed in a favoured viewing spot of Dury's, Poets' Corner, near Pembroke Lodge, within Richmond Park, southwest London.. This solar powered seat was intended to allow visitors to plug in and listen to 8 of his songs as well as an interview, but unfortunately has been subjected to repeated vandalism..A biopic entitled Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll starring Andy Serkis as Dury was released on 8 January 2010, and was nominated for several awards..A musical, Reasons to be Cheerful, was produced by the Graeae Theatre Company in association with Theatre Royal Stratford East and New Wolsey Theatre...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Dury
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=2Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here..It has begun.. Tell me something, David. When you woke up this morning...Was it still there?...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=65

Last edited by lightgiver; 16-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote