Thread: Club 27
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #355
lightgiver

Lightbulb Prunus Avium

Quote:
The Eschede train disaster occurred on 3 June 1998, near the village of Eschede in the Celle district of Lower Saxony, Germany, when a high-speed train derailed and crashed into a road bridge. 101 people died and around 100 were injured.. It remains the worst rail disaster in the history of the Federal Republic of Germany and the worst high speed rail disaster worldwide. The cause was a single fatigue crack in one wheel which, when it finally failed, caused the train to derail at a switch..

By 13:45 authorities gave emergency treatment to 87 people.. 27 of the most severely injured passengers boarded airlifts for hospitalisation

Remains of a VW Golf Variant, belonging to the two railway workers killed in the crash, were found beneath the debris of the crashed ICE. Media first speculated that the train had derailed after a collision with the car, a circumstance that caused a train to jackknife in the Ufton Nervet rail crash six years later; however, this theory was quickly dismissed as the front power car did not receive any damage at all..Car number 4, likewise derailed by the violent deviation of car number 3 and still travelling at 200 kilometres per hour (125 mph), passed intact under the bridge and rolled onto the embankment immediately behind it.. Two Deutsche Bahn railway workers who had been working near the bridge were killed instantly when the derailed car crushed them...

Immediately after the accident, Deutsche Bahn paid 30,000 Deutsche Marks (about 19,000 United States dollars) for each fatality to the applicable families. At a later time Deutsche Bahn settled with some victims. Deutsche Bahn stated that it paid an equivalent of more than 30 million U.S. dollars to the families of victims and survivors..The official memorial was opened on 11 May 2001 in the presence of 400 relatives as well as many dignitaries, rescuers and citizens from Eschede.. The memorial consists of 101 Wild Cherry trees each representing one fatality. The trees have been planted along the rails near the bridge and with the switch in front...

Passengers 287...

Prunus avium, commonly called wild cherry, sweet cherry, bird cherry, or gean, is a species of cherry native to Europe, Anatolia, Maghreb, and western Asia, from the British Isles south to Morocco and Tunisia, north to the Trondheimsfjord region in Norway and east to the Caucasus and northern Iran, with a small disjunct population in the western Himalaya..This species, in the rose family (Rosaceae), has a diploid set of 16 chromosomes (2n = 16).. All parts of the plant except for the ripe fruit are slightly toxic, containing cyanogenic glycosides..The leaves provide food for some animals, including Lepidoptera such as the case-bearer moth Coleophora anatipennella..In one dated example, wild cherry macrofossils were found in a core sample from the detritus beneath a dwelling at an Early and Middle Bronze Age pile-dwelling site on and in the shore of a former lake at Desenzano del Garda or Lonato, near the southern shore of Lake Garda, Italy. The date is estimated at Early Bronze Age IA, carbon dated there to 2077 BC plus or minus 10 years..A green dye can also be prepared from the plant..The origin of cultivars of P. avium is still an open question. Modern cultivated cherries differ from wild ones in having larger fruit, 2–3 cm diameter..A previous fatal train accident occurred at Eschede on August 4, 1897; the express train from Hamburg derailed causing 3 fatalities and 20 severe injuries..The crash made a sound that witnesses later described as "startling", "horribly loud", and "like a plane crash"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschede_train_disaster
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...64&postcount=4There are no more barriers to cross..All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane,, the vicious and the evil all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed..My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...123670&page=63

Last edited by lightgiver; 03-11-2014 at 09:43 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote