View Single Post
Old 24-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #585
lightgiver

Lightbulb Howlin Wolf

Quote:
Gian Carlo Menotti - The Medium (Studio One, 1948)..

The Medium is a short (one hour long) two-act dramatic opera with words and music by Gian Carlo Menotti. Commissioned by Columbia University, its first performance was there on 8 May 1946. The opera's first professional production was presented on a double bill with Menotti's The Telephone at the Heckscher Theater, New York City, February 18-20, 1947 by the Ballet Society.. The Broadway production took place on May 1, 1947, at the Ethel Barrymore Theater with the same cast..

In 1951, Menotti directed, with the help of filmmaker Alexander Hammid, a film version made to resemble film noir, and starring Anna Maria Alberghetti. A live television production starring Marie Phowers took place on 12 December 1948 on the TV series Studio One. A version was produced for Australian television in 1960..

Act 1 The medium's parlor-Monica, Madame Flora's daughter, and Toby, a mute servant boy rescued from "the streets of Budapest" play dress-up. When Madame Flora, or "Baba" as they call her, arrives home drunk, she violently chastises them for not preparing for that night's seance..

Act 2 A few days later - The guests again arrive, expecting another seance but are driven away by Madame Flora who tries to convince them that the whole thing was a sham by revealing all the tricks that she and Monica used...

Noted arias - "Monica's Waltz" (Monica) - "The Black Swan" (Monica) - "Afraid, am I afraid?" (Baba)...

Quote:
1948 - Date unknown - A pack of wolves kills about 40 children in Darovskoy District, in Russia,one of the 39 in Kirov Oblast, Russia -December - Mordechai Hod smuggles a Supermarine Spitfire into Israel by flying it all the way from Czechoslovakia/1 – José Figueres Ferrer abolishes the army in Costa Rica, making it the first country in history to do so- Arabic Congress names Abdullah of Trans Jordan as King of Palestine- Piet Roozenburg becomes world champion checker player\2 – HUAC subpoenas and retrieves the "Pumpkin Papers" from the farm of Whittaker Chambers - Stan Musial is picked NL MVP/3 - 1st US woman army officer not in medical corps sworn in-Bradman scores his last century, 123 in his own testimonial - Chinese refugee ship "Kiangya" explodes in E China Sea killing 1,100\4- "Magdalena" closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 48 perfs- SS Kiangya hits mine in Whangpoo River China, sinks killing 2,750 die/ 6 – Richard Nixon parades microfilm from the "Pumpkin Papers" to the press\9- UN General Assembly unanimously approves Convention on Genocide/10 – The United Nations General Assembly adopts the Universal Declaration of Human Rights – T. S. Eliot wins the Nobel Prize in Literature "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry"\11–12 – Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali massacre: Scots Guards shoot 24 Chinese villagers in Malaya/15 – The United States Department of Justice indicts Alger Hiss on two counts of perjury – The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh's one-month-old son (now The Prince of Wales) is christened His Royal Highness Charles Philip Arthur George of Edinburgh\16- "Lend an Ear" opens at National Theater NYC for 460 perfs – The Royal Australian Navy commissions its first aircraft carrier, HMAS Sydney/ 17– The original Wright Flyer goes on display in the Smithsonian Institution\20 – Laurence Duggan falls to his death from the 16th storey window of his Manhattan office/21- O'Neil Place in the Bronx erronously renamed O'Neill Place\24- 1st US house completely sun-heated is occupied (Dover, Mass)/ 26 – The first series of Reith Lectures, Bertrand Russell on Authority and the Individual, begins broadcasting on the BBC Home Service – The last Soviet troops withdraw from North Korea\28 – A Muslim Brotherhood member assassinates Egyptian Prime Minister Mahmud Fahmi Nokrashi - The DC-3 airliner NC16002 disappears 50 miles south of Miami, Florida, with the loss of all 32 people on board/29- "Rape of Lucretia" opens at Ziegfeld Theater NYC for 23 perfs- US State Dept announces work on placing objects into Earth orbit - Canada recognizes Israel\30 – The musical Kiss Me, Kate opens for the first of 1,077 perfs/ 31 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: Israeli troops drive the Egyptians from Negev- Dutch police actions up Java gone on strike-Undated -Snettisham Hoard discovered near King's Lynn-"Black widow" road safety poster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Medium
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=505Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.. I don't have to show you any stinking madges..I think I'll go to sleep and dream about my piles getting bigger and bigger and bigger...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=684

Last edited by lightgiver; 24-10-2014 at 11:27 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote