View Single Post
Old 28-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #208
lightgiver

Arrow Kilcullen Stud

Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Abraham Boulger VC (4 September 1835 – 23 January 1900) was born in Kilcullen, County Kildare, and was an Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces..He served as a Quartermaster during the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War and later achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel...

Quote:
Kilcullen is about 6 km (3.7 mi) from the Curragh, the center of Ireland's horse racing industry and is home to the Aga Khan's horse breeding operation, the Gilltown Stud, and to stud and cattle breeding operations belonging to Tony O'Reilly and his wife. Horse-riding is available, and horses can be stabled locally..The Aga Khan owns Gill-town Stud near Kilcullen, Ireland, and the Haras de Bonneval breeding farm at Le Mesnil-Mauger in France..Alamshar (foaled 18 April 2000) is a retired Irish Thoroughbred racehorse and active sire. He won 5 of his nine races in a career which lasted from September 2002 to September 2003. He is best known for his performances as a three-year-old when he overcame chronic injury problems to win the Irish Derby and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes...

Kilcullen is situated near the main Dublin to Waterford (N9) road, between Naas and Kilkenny, and is centred on the crossroads of the R413 and R448 regional roads (the R448 was part of the main road from Dublin to Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford until the M9 motorway was opened in 1995, bypassing the town)..Kilcullen straddles the River Liffey and is about 50 km (31 mi) from Dublin, under 5 km (3 mi) from Newbridge, and also close to Kildare Town and Naas..Kilcullen was influenced for much of its history by the Eustace family, one of whose seats was at Castlemartin..On Thursday, 2 July 1903 the Gordon Bennett Cup ran through Kilcullen. It was the first international motor race to be held anywhere in what was then known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, an honorific to Selwyn Edge who had won the 1902 event in Paris driving a Napier..As a compliment to Ireland the British team chose to race in Shamrock green which thus became known as British racing green, although the winning Napier of 1902 had been painted olive green..Kilcullen is the main element in the Parish of Kilcullen and Gormanstown in the Roman Catholic Church, with two churches managed by the parish of which the parish church, dedicated to the Sacred Heart and St. Brigid, from 1872, lies at the western end of the town proper, while the other, St. Joseph's, is at Yellow Bog. There is also a church on private land, at Castlemartin Estate, St. Mary's Church..There is an active local Scout group, and a well-established credit union, with a large office near the town bridge, as well as the Kilcullen Flower and Garden Club..

The Aga Khan is and has been involved in other business ventures such as luxury hotels.. In the 1990s, the Aga Khan had a group of $400 a night Italian luxury hotels, called Ciga.. Currently the Aga Khan, through his for-profit AKFED, is the largest shareholder in the Serena Hotels chain..Paul Ress, of Sports Illustrated, writes that the young, contact lens wearing Prince turned Aga Khan IV, having responsibility to go with his wealth, did not live the playboy lifestyle of his father. He did, however, relish "...speed on water as well as on snow, highways and in the air..." and increased the speed of his 72-foot yacht (the Amaloun) by almost 20%..Aga Khan IV became the first faith leader to address the Joint Session of the Canadian Parliament on February 27, 2014..Patrick Foley, who pronounced himself in favour.. Local laws had to be adjusted, ergo the 'Light Locomotives (Ireland) Bill' was passed on 27 March 1903..Having successfully negotiated several controversial engagements during the first two days of her state visit, the monarch enjoyed a change of pace as she visited the Irish National Stud, one of the republic’s leading horse breeding centres, in County Kildare.. Over the years, the Aga Khan has received numerous honours, honorary degrees, and awards..Canada: Honorary LL.D. degree, McGill University -Canada: Honorary LL.D. degree, McMaster University ..Portugal:
Key to the City of Lisbon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilcullen
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...he-horses.html
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=293If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money.. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you..If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it.. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you.. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kilcullen you..Please understand..it was all business...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=491

Last edited by lightgiver; 28-09-2014 at 06:57 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote