View Single Post
Old 17-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #1408
lightgiver

Lightbulb King Karol

Quote:
King Karol was a New York City, New York-based record store chain founded by Ben Karol and Phil King..Extant prior to 1971,lasting through at least 1984, and defunct for some time by 1993, King Karol was one of New York's "largest [and most] comprehensive" music stories..

Aside from its main branch at 126 West 42nd Street in Manhattan, King Karol by mid-1971 had outlets at 460 West 42nd Street, at the corner of 10th Avenue; 940 Third Avenue, at East 57th Street; 609 Fifth Avenue, at 49th Street, in the KLM Building; and, in Flushing, Queens, at 40-46 Main Street.. Later, the chain opened at least one other location, at 1521 Third Avenue, at East 86th Street, and, by mid-1975, at 1500 Broadway, at West 43rd Street..

In 1981, Ben Karol experimented with record LP rentals, similar to the then-emerging market for videocassette rental, after having studied successful record rental systems in Canada. He told an interviewer, "The record industry isn't that great these days. You sit around and think of ways to stimulate it, try to come up with ideas based on what similar product is doing. ... [T]he whole video tape business is now going rental"..The King Karol branch at 460 West 42nd Street, with its lit sign in a nighttime scene, is visible during the bus-chase sequence in the 1973 New York City police film Badge 373, immediately before the bus crashes into an Army/Navy store..Locations for other scenes include the Manhattan Bridge, with the World Trade Center's Twin Towers in the background, and the FDR Drive, with the United Nations headquarters visible...King Karol also operated a mail order record business through P.O. Box 629, Times Square Station,
New York, New York 10036...

Quote:
Carol I (20 April 1839 – 27 September (O.S.) / 10 October (N.S.) 1914), born Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen was the ruler of Romania from 1866 to 1914.. He was elected Ruling Prince (Domnitor) of the Romanian United Principalities on 20 April 1866 after the overthrow of Alexandru Ioan Cuza by a palace coup. After the defeat of the Ottoman Empire (1878) in the Russo-Turkish War, he declared Romania a sovereign nation (the country had been under the nominal suzerainty of the Ottoman Empire until then). He was proclaimed King of Romania on 26 March [O.S. 14 March] 1881. He was the first ruler of the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen dynasty, which ruled the country until the proclamation of a republic in 1947..Carol II (15 October 1893 – 4 April 1953) reigned as King of Romania from 8 June 1930 until 6 September 1940. He was the first member of the Romanian royal family to be raised in the Orthodox faith..Carol was born in Peleș Castle. In November 1914, Carol joined the Romanian Senate, as the 1866 Constitution guaranteed him a seat there upon reaching maturity.. Known more for his romantic misadventures than for any leadership skills, Carol (Romanian for "Charles") was first married in the Cathedral Church of Odessa, Ukraine, 31 August 1918, to Joanna Marie Valentina Lambrino (1898–1953), known as "Zizi", the daughter of a Romanian general...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Karol
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=74I'm all right now, Ashley! Come unlock this chain and let me out! I'm all right now! It's your sister Cheryl!.Recite the passages... dispel the evil... save my soul... and your own minds!.. http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=152

Last edited by lightgiver; 17-09-2014 at 12:44 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote