View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #275
lightgiver

Arrow Operation Cyclone

Quote:
A ha-ha (or ha-ha wall) is a recessed landscape design element that creates a vertical barrier while preserving views..The name "ha-ha" derives from the unexpected (i.e., amusing) moment of discovery when, on approach, the recessed wall suddenly becomes visible...

Quote:
The United States, notably the Reagan's Administration, was an ardent supporter of Zia's military regime and a close ally of Pakistan's conservative-leaning ruling military establishment.. The Reagan administration declared Zia's regime as the "front line" ally of the United States in the fight against the Communism.. American legislators and senior officials most notable were Zbigniew Brzezinski, Henry Kissinger, Charlie Wilson, Joanne Herring, and the civilian intelligence officers Michael Pillsbury and Gust Avrakotos, and senior U.S. military officials General John William Vessey, and General Herbert M. Wassom, had been long associated with the Zia military regime where they had made frequent trips to Pakistan advising on expanding the idea of establishment in the political circle of Pakistan.. Nominally, the American conservatism of Ronald Reagan's Republican Party influenced General Zia-ul-Haq to adopt his idea of Islamic conservatism as the primary line of his military government, forcefully enforcing the Islamic and other religious practices in the country...

Herring is well known and remembered for her long association and politics relation with President of Pakistan Zia-ul-Haq. Her contacts and relations with Zia dated back to early 1970s, when he, as Brigadier-General, was a contingent commander of overseas Pakistan military formations in Jordon..In 1980, President Zia convened and held an honorary dinner to Robert and Joanne Herring in Islamabad..Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq (Punjabi, Urdu: محمد ضياء الحق‎; 12 August 1924 – 17 August 1988), was the sixth President of Pakistan from 1978 until his death in 1988, having declared martial law for the third time in the country's history in 1977. He was Pakistan's longest-serving head of state, ruling 11 years...

Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency program to arm and finance the Afghan mujahideen prior to and during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, 1979 to 1989. The program leaned heavily towards supporting militant Islamic groups that were favored by neighboring Pakistan, rather than other, less ideological Afghan resistance groups that had also been fighting the Marxist-oriented Democratic Republic of Afghanistan regime since before the Soviet intervention. Operation Cyclone was one of the longest and most expensive covert CIA operations ever undertaken;funding began with $20–$30 million per year in 1980 and rose to $630 million
per year in 1987...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Zia-ul-Haq
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...40&postcount=1Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan..You've had your 8, now I have my eighty..Thank you both for your help..My name is Kamran Shah..Please forgive the theatricals, it's a hangover from my Oxford days..Be careful, 007! It's just had a new coat of paint!..http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...44&postcount=1

Last edited by lightgiver; 03-09-2014 at 10:11 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote