Thread: Club 27
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #295
lightgiver

Lightbulb Fog on the Tyne

Quote:
Paul John Gascoigne (born 27 May 1967) is a former England international footballer. Usually a playmaking attacking midfielder, Gascoigne is famous for his technique and off-field problems..Though well known throughout Europe for his club career, his football career is particularly remembered for his 57 England caps. He also won 13 caps for the England under-21s and four caps for the England B team. He was part of the England squad that reached fourth place in the 1990 FIFA World Cup, and was famously reduced to tears after receiving a yellow card in the semi-final with West Germany, which meant he would be suspended for the final itself had England won the game. He also helped the team to the semi-finals of UEFA Euro 1996, and again embedded himself in the national consciousness with a spectacular goal against Scotland that was coupled with a memorable goal celebration..Gascoigne was born in the Dunston area of Gateshead, England on 27 May 1967.. His father, John, was a hod carrier, and his mother, Carol, worked in a factory.. He was named Paul John Gascoigne in tribute to The Beatles members Paul McCartney and John Lennon..

He attended Breckenbeds Junior High School, then the Heathfield Senior High School, both in the Low Fell area of Gateshead.. He was noticed by football scouts while playing for Gateshead Boys, though failed to impress in a trial at Ipswich Town. Further trials at Middlesbrough and Southampton also proved unsuccessful, before boyhood club Newcastle United signed him as a schoolboy in 1980. He was signed on as an apprentice at Newcastle on his sixteenth birthday. He was usually overweight whilst signed to Newcastle and frequently got into trouble with his friend Jimmy "5 Bellies" Gardner, particularly when the pair were taken to court and fined over a hit and run incident..Newcastle chairman Stan Seymour described Gascoigne as "George Best without brains"...

While Gascoigne was successful on the football field, his childhood was marked by instability and tragedy.. Initially his family lived in a single upstairs room in a council house with a shared bathroom, and moved several times during Gascoigne's early life.. When he was ten, Gascoigne witnessed the death of Steven Spraggon, the younger brother of a friend, who was knocked down by a car.. Around this time, his father began to suffer from seizures. Gascoigne began developing obsessions and twitches, and was taken into therapy at age ten, but soon quit the therapy sessions after his father expressed doubts over the treatment methods..Gascoigne developed an addiction to gaming machines, frequently spending all his money on them, and also began shoplifting to fund his addiction.. Death made another appearance in his life when a friend, whom he had encouraged to join Newcastle United from Middlesbrough, died whilst he was working for Gascoigne's uncle on a building site.. At the age of 15, he took the decision to provide for his family – his parents and two sisters – financially, as he saw professional football as a way of earning more money than the rest of the family were capable of.. He enjoyed football, and later wrote that "I didn't have twitches or worry about death when I was playing football"..In his first season at White Hart Lane he helped Terry Venables's Spurs to sixth in the First Division, scoring 7 goals in 37 appearances..They rose to third place in 1989–90, but were still 16 points behind champions Liverpool...

Gascoigne eventually joined Lazio for a fee of £5.5 million; he received a £2 million signing-on fee and signed a contract worth £22,000 a week.. He made his Serie A debut on 27 September 1992 in a match against Genoa which was televised in Britain as well as Italy.. He failed to fully settle in Italy and was beset by negative media interest which was not helped by the numerous occasions he punched reporters and the time when he belched down a microphone on live television.. He was well received by the club's fans, but not by the club's owner, who resented him after Gascoigne greeted him by saying "Tua figlia, grande tette" (roughly translated as "Your daughter, big tits")...

In January 1998, Gascoigne courted serious controversy after he played a mock flute (symbolic of the flute-playing of Orange Order marchers) during an Old Firm match at Celtic Park.. The gesture infuriated Celtic fans who had been taunting him and Gascoigne was fined £20,000 by Rangers after the incident..He received death threats following the incident...

In mid-2005 he spent two months as player-coach at the recently founded Portuguese team Algarve United, but he returned to England after a proposed contract never materialised.. He was appointed manager of Conference North club Kettering Town on 27 October 2005, and also planned to put in enough money to own one-third of the club to show his commitment...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gascoigne
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=198A month ago he bought the rights to this book, a best seller. The main character is a guy just like me. I wouldn't even have to act, just be myself. Oh, Godfather, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do...(All of a sudden, Don Corleone rises from his chair and gives Fontane a savage shake)..YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!..What's the matter with you? Is this what you've become, a Hollywood finocchio who cries like a woman? "Oh, what do I do? What do I do?" What is that nonsense? Ridiculous!..Tell me, do you spend time with your family?.. Sure I do..Good. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...postcount=1476

Last edited by lightgiver; 22-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote