View Single Post
Old 21-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
lightgiver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inactive
Posts: 36,483
Likes: 237 (190 Posts)
Lightbulb Kow Loon



Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgiver View Post


Kowloon Walled City was a densely populated, largely ungoverned settlement in New Kowloon, Hong Kong. Originally a Chinese military fort, the Walled City became an enclave after the New Territories were leased to Britain in 1898. Its population increased dramatically following the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II. In 1987, the Walled City contained 33,000 residents within its 2.6-hectare (0.010 sq mi) borders. From the 1950s to the 1970s, it was controlled by Triads and had high rates of prostitution, gambling, and drug use..In January 1987, the Hong Kong government announced plans to demolish the Walled City. After an arduous eviction process, demolition began in March 1993 and was completed in April 1994. Kowloon Walled City Park opened in December 1995 and occupies the area of the former Walled City. Some historical artefacts from the Walled City, including its yamen building and remnants of its South Gate, have been preserved there...



The history of the Walled City can be traced back to the Song Dynasty (960–1279), when an outpost was set up to manage the trade of salt. Little took place for hundreds of years afterward, although 30 guards were stationed there in 1668.. A small coastal fort was established around 1810.. In 1842, during Qing Emperor Daoguang's reign, Hong Kong Island was ceded to Britain by the Treaty of Nanjing. As a result, the Qing authorities felt it necessary to improve the fort in order to rule the area and check further British influence. The improvements, including the formidable defensive wall, were completed in 1847. The Walled City was captured by rebels during the Taiping Rebellion in 1854 before being retaken a few weeks later..The Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory of 1898 handed additional parts of Hong Kong (the New Territories) to Britain for 99 years, but excluded the Walled City, which at the time had a population of roughly 700..Beginning in the 1950s, Triad groups such as the 14K and Sun Yee On gained a stranglehold on the Walled City's countless brothels, gambling parlors, and opium dens.. The Walled City had become such a haven for criminals that police would venture into it only in large groups...

Rothschild’s long-standing presence in China dates back to 1838, and we were one of the first business institutions from the Western world to re-establish relations after 1953..Our recent notable assignments in China include advising General Nice and Minmetals Cheerglory on the US$238 million subscription of new shares in IRC and 15-year long term offtake agreements, CITIC Securities on the acquisition of 19.9% stake in CLSA and the granting of a put option in relation to acquisition of the remaining 80.1% stake in CLSA for a total value of US$1.25 billion, Bright Food on the acquisition of a 60% stake in Weetabix from Lion Capital at an EV of £1.2 billion, and Alibaba Group on the US$2.5 billion privatisation and delisting of Alibaba.com Limited from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. In Japan, we advised Sprint Nextel on its merger with SoftBank whereby Softbank invested approximately $21.6 billion in Sprint Nextel, Toyota Tsusho Corporation on its €2.3 billion acquisition of CFAO from PPR, and Valeo on its disposal of its Access Mechanisms business to U-Shin...


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Makow
http://politicalvelcraft.org/2014/01...t-17-trillion/
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...t=74914&page=6
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=99
http://www.rothschild.com/china-japan-korea/

Last edited by lightgiver; 21-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote