Thread: Club 27
View Single Post
Old 13-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #287
lightgiver

Lightbulb Sigma Nu

Quote:
Sigma Nu (ΣΝ) is an undergraduate college fraternity that was founded by James Frank Hopkins, Greenfield Quarles and James McIlvaine Riley at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia shortly after Hopkins witnessed what he considered a hazing ritual by upperclassmen at the Virginia Military Institute. Sigma Nu's existence remained secret until the founders publicly announced their new society on January 1, 1869, which is the fraternity's recognized birth date.. The fraternity has 279 (active and inactive) chapters and colonies throughout the United States and Canada and has initiated over 227,000 members.. Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha Order and Alpha Tau Omega make up the Lexington Triad..The founders of Sigma Nu, James Frank Hopkins, Greenfield Quarles, and James McIlvaine Riley enrolled in Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 1866. Hopkins entered VMI at age 21 and was older than many of the cadets entering the institute. Both Hopkins and Quarles had served in the American Civil War as Confederate soldiers..At this time, many secret societies were being formed on the VMI campus. In Hopkins third year at VMI, he joined in the Masonic Lodge in Lexington. The masons inspired him to create a similar organization at VMI.. Hopkins shared his ideas with Quarles and Riley, and in October 1868, the 3 came together on a limestone rock on the edge of the VMI parade ground to form the Legion of Honor.. The 3 founders would go on to bring others into the Legion of Honor over the rest of the year. On January 1, 1869, the founders, along with the rest of the members of the Legion of Honour, held their first official meeting as Sigma Nu..The fraternity had begun debating allowing non-white and Jewish members shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court desegregated schools in 1954.. In 1964, following a failed civil rights amendment to the Sigma Nu's constitution, the Dartmouth College chapter seceded from the fraternity in protest. The organization did not allow non-white members until the late 1960s.. The Dartmouth chapter rejoined in 1983..Sigma Nu consists of 278 chapters and colonies in colleges and universities throughout the United States and Canada.. Since the founding of Sigma Nu, over 230,000 members have been initiated...

Quote:
The Syracuse Triad is the name given to the 3 women's sororities founded at Syracuse University. Alpha Phi was founded first in 1872 by 10 of the original 20 women admitted into Syracuse University. Gamma Phi Beta came along 2 years later in 1874 and with it came the term "sorority," which was coined at the time of its founding. (Prior to that, women's Greek-letter organizations used the term "women's fraternity," since no more appropriate term existed.) Alpha Gamma Delta completed the triad in 1904..The 3 sororities maintain a special bond.. A special Syracuse Triad ceremony or event is held on most campuses where all 3 groups are present.. An example of common events are a Triad Tea or a Triad Dance..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_Nu
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=43Oh, good evening. I'm so glad you found me. As you can see, our, uh, new quarters are rather modest, but we like the location. And thought the change might do us good, also. And now, if you don't mind, I would like to indulge in an old American custom. No matter how busy they are or what the surroundings may be, Americans never omit this quaint ritual. If you don't care to join me, I think you'll find our play is about to begin on one of the lower shelves...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=215

Last edited by lightgiver; 13-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote