View Single Post
Old 15-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #477
lightgiver

Lightbulb Black&White

Quote:
Magpie was a British children's TeleV programme shown on ITV from 30 July 1968 to 6 June 1980.. It was a magazine format show intended to compete with the BBC's Blue Peter, but attempted to be more "hip", focusing more on popular culture.. The show's creators Lewis Rudd and Sue Turner named the programme Magpie as a reference to the magpie's habit of collecting small items, and because of "mag" being evocative of "magazine", and "pie" being evocative of a collection of ingredients..The show's mascot was a magpie called Murgatroyd...

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a story never to be told..
Eight for Heaven
Nine for Hell
Ten for the Devil himself...

In 1973, Magpie adopted a steam engine, "Black 5" 44806 and renamed her "Magpie" (Blue Peter already had a locomotive named after their show). After an eventful history, it is still being used today on the Llangollen Railway, although now under another name..Magpie also adopted a boat originally called "Mankadu", and renamed "Thames Magpie"..
Its current whereabouts are unknown....

Quote:
Magpies are birds of the corvidae (crow) family, including the black and white Eurasian Magpie, which is one of the few animal species known to be able to recognize itself in a mirror test.. In addition to other members of the genus Pica, corvids considered as magpies are in the genera Cissa, Cyanopica and Urocissa..According to some studies, magpies do not form the monophyletic group they are traditionally believed to be—a long tail has certainly elongated (or shortened) independently in multiple lineages of corvid birds.. Among the traditional magpies, there appear to be 2 distinct lineages: one consists of Holarctic species with black/white colouration and is probably closely related to crows and Eurasian jays.. The other contains several species from South to East Asia with vivid colouration which is predominantly green or blue.. The Azure-winged Magpie is a species with a most peculiar distribution and unclear relationships.. It may be the single survivor of a long extinct group of corvid GeneRa..Other research has cast doubt on the taxonomy of the Pica magpies, since it appears that P. hudsonia and P. nuttalli may not be different species, whereas the Korean race of P. pica is GENEtically very distinct from the other Eurasian (as well as the North American) forms. Either the North American, Korean, and remaining Eurasian forms are accepted as three or four separate species, or there exists only a single species, Pica pica..The Australian Magpie, Cracticus tibicen, is conspicuously piebald, with black and white plumage reminiscent of a European Magpie. It is a member of the family Cracticidae and not a corvid..Murgatroyd is a surname. Its etymology, according to one source, is as follows: In 1371, a constable was appointed for the district of Warley in Yorkshire. He adopted the name of Johanus de Morgateroyde, or literally: John of Moor Gate Royde or the district leading to the moor..The mirror test is an experiment developed in 1970 by psychologist Gordon Gallup Jr. to determine whether an animal possesses the ability to recognize itself in a mirror...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_television
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...191985&page=25Alright! You, sir? How about a shave? Come and visit your good friend Sweeney! You sir! Too, sir. Welcome to the grave... I will have vengeance. I will have salvation... Who, sir? You sir!No one's in the chair. Come on, come on! Sweeney's waiting. I want you bleeders. You sir? Anybody? Gentlemen, now don't be shy. Not one man... No, nor 10 men... Nor a hundred can assuage me. I will have you! And I will get him back even as he gloats; In the meantime I'll practice on less honorable throats... And my Lucy lyes in Ashes, and I'll never see my girl again. But the work waits! I'm alive at last, and I'm full of joy!.. http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=36

Last edited by lightgiver; 15-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote