View Single Post
Old 15-06-2014, 03:51 AM   #31
lightgiver

Arrow Heay MeaTle Jacket

Ἀργοναῦται\Argonauts...

Quote:
The Final Cut is an anti-war concept album, whose lyrics explore what Waters regards as the betrayal of fallen British servicemen — such as his father — who during World War II sacrificed their lives in the spirit of a post-war dream. This post-war dream was that their victory would usher in a more peaceful world, whose leaders would no longer be so eager to solve disputes by resorting to war. The album's lyrics are critical of Thatcher, whose policies and decisions Waters regarded as an example of this betrayal. She is referred to as "Maggie" throughout the album, with the introduction of the Welfare State, we felt we were moving forward into something resembling a liberal country where we would all look after one another ... but I'd seen all that chiselled away, and I'd seen a return to an almost Dickensian society under Margaret Thatcher.. I felt then, as now, that the British government should have pursued diplomatic avenues, rather than steaming in the moment that task force arrived in the South Atlantic..The 2nd half of the album deals with various war-related issues. While "Southampton Dock" is a lament to returning war heroes, and also those soldiers heading out to a likely death, "Not Now John" addresses the ignorance of society toward political and economic problems.. "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" deals with Waters' feelings about war and invasion, and "The Fletcher Memorial Home" (the title is a nod to Waters' lost father) reflects the fantasy of gathering together political leaders including Leonid Brezhnev, Menachem Begin, and Margaret Thatcher, and applying "the final solution" to them.. The album's title track deals with the aftermath of a man's isolation and sexual repression, as he contemplates suicide, and struggles to reconnect with the world around him. The album ends with "Two Suns in the Sunset", a song that portrays a nuclear holocaust, the final result of a world obsessed with war and control...

Quote:
Columbia Records is an American flagship recording label, under the ownership of Sony Music Entertainment, operating under the Columbia Music Group. It was founded in 1888, evolving from an earlier enterprise, the American Graphophone Company—successor to the Volta Graphophone Company.. Columbia is the oldest brand name in recorded sound, being the first record company to produce recorded records as opposed to blank cylinders..It is one of Sony Music's 3 flagship record labels with the others being Epic Records and RCA Records..The Columbia Phonograph Company was founded by stenographer, lawyer and New Jersey native Edward Easton (1856-1915) and a group of investors. It derived its name from the District of Columbia, where it was headquartered..At first it had a local monopoly on sales and service of Edison phonographs and phonograph cylinders in Washington, D.C., Marylandand Delaware.. As was the custom of some of the regional phonograph companies, Columbia produced many commercial cylinder recordings of its own, and its catalogue of musical records in 1891 was 10 pages..His Master's Voice or Italy's Fonotipia Records. After an abortive attempt in 1904 to manufacture discs with the recording grooves stamped into both sides of each disc—not just one—in 1908 Columbia commenced successful mass production of what they called their "Double-Faced" discs, the 10-inch variety initially selling for 65 cents apiece.. The firm also introduced the internal-horn "Grafonola" to compete with the extremely popular "Victrola" sold by the rival Victor Talking Machine Company..During this era, Columbia used the famous "Magic Notes" logo—a pair of .16th notes (semiquavers) in a circle—both in the United States and overseas..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Records
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=170I am Gunnery Sergeant Heartman, your senior drill instructor.. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir".. Do you maggots understand that..Do you think I'm cute, Private Pyle.. Do you think I'm funny..Private Pyle I'm gonna give you 3 seconds; exactly 3-foooking-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your I-balls and skull-fcuk you! ONE! TWO! THREE! ...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...postcount=1697

Last edited by lobuk; 11-01-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Updated Columbia Records Image
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote