Thread: Stirling
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
lightgiver

Arrow SumerSet

The SAS Somerset was taken over from the South African Navy on 24 May 1988..A net laying ship, also known as a net layer, net tender, gate ship or boom defence vessel was a type of small auxiliary ship..A net layer's primary function was to lay and maintain steel anti-torpedo or anti-submarine nets. Nets could be laid around an individual ship at anchor, or around harbors or other anchorages. Net laying was potentially dangerous work, and net laying seamen were experts at dealing with blocks, tackles, knots and splicing. As World War II progressed, net layers were pressed into a variety of additional roles including salvage, troop and cargo transport, buoy maintenance, and service as tugboats..Net layers initially received the hull classification symbol YN (for "Yard Net Tender") but were later reclassified AN (for "Auxiliary Net Layer")..BriTish Admiralty knew such ships as a “boom defence vessel"..The first 32, all launched in 1940 (before the attack on Pearl Harbor), were built of steel.. Due to the chronic shortage of steel during the war, the next 30 were built of wood.. The last 15, laid down in 1944 and 1945, were again constructed of steel..Net layers have 2 prominent steel "horns" on the bow, used in laying nets..HMCS Ypres was a Battle class trawler used by the Royal Canadian Navy as a gate vessel.. She was sunk in a collision with British battleship HMS Revenge, but without loss of life..After this incident, the crews of other gate vessels would pretend to make elaborate preparations for a collision every time Revenge visited Halifax.In 1753, when Lawrence became governor, the Mi'kmaq attacked again upon the sawmills near the South Blockhouse on the Northwest Arm, where they killed 3 British..Mi'kmaq made 3 attempts to retrieve the bodies for their scalps.. At the instigation of the newly arrived Loyalists who desired greater local control, Britain subdivided Nova Scotia in 1784 with the creation of the colonies of New Brunswick and Cape Breton Island; this had the effect of considerably diluting Halifax's presence over the region..Confederate ships often called on the port to take on supplies, and make repairs. One such ship, the CSS Tallahassee, became a legend in Halifax when she made a daring midnight escape through from northern warships believed waiting at the harbour entrance. Halifax was also played a significant role in the Chesapeake Affair...Tombstone Head Canoe - YouTube

Quote:
Bisbee is a city in Cochise County, Arizona, United States, 82 miles (132 km) southeast of Tucson.. According to 2005 Census Bureau estimates, the population of the city was 6,177.. The city is the county seat of Cochise County... Bisbee was founded as a copper, gold, and silver mining town in 1880, and named in honor of Judge DeWitt Bisbee, one of the financial backers of the adjacent Copper Queen Mine..Chief among the visionaries who turned the ailing mining town into the tourist destination it later became, were 3 men who saw Bisbee's potential during this time of exodus.The rediscovery of Bisbee by baby boomers in the 1990s saw it develop a more polished look, complete with coffee shops and live theater. Many of the old houses have been renovated, and property values in Bisbee now greatly exceed those of other Southeastern Arizona cities...In 2007, in what has been noted as the world's biggest-ever mining takeover, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold bought Phelps Dodge Mining and has begun some preliminary work in the area...USS Arizona (BB-39), a Pennsylvania class battleship sunk by Japanese bombers in the attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941..In the course of the 9th century we find mention of 9 places in Ireland (including Armagh, Clonmacnoise, Clones, Devenish and Sligo) where communities of Culdees were established as a kind of annexe to the regular monastic institutions. They seem especially to have had the care of the poor and the sick, and were interested in the musical part of worship. Óengus the Culdee lived in the last quarter of the 8th century and is best known as the author of the Félire Óengusso "the Martyrology of Óengus"..After the death of Maelruan Tallaght is forgotten, and the name Ceile-De disappears from the Irish annals until 919, when the 4 Masters record that Armagh was plundered by the Danes but that the houses of prayer, "with the people of God, that is Ceile-De", were spared. Subsequent entries in the annals show that there were Culdees at Clonmacnoise, Clondalken and Clones, at Monahincha in Tipperary,and at Scattery Island. Secular priests assumed the name of Culdees, lived in community and subjected themselves to monastic discipline though not bound by monastic vows. At Clones, Devenish, and Scattery Island, "Culdee" and "canon" are interchangeable terms..The Danish wars affected the Culdee houses. Clondalken and Clones disappeared altogether.. At Clonmacnoise, as early as the eleventh century, the Culdees were laymen and married, while those at Monahincha and Scattery Island gave way to the regular canons..The Annals of the Kingdom of Ireland (Annála Ríoghachta Éireann) or the Ann-Al of the 4 Masters are chronicles of medieval Irish history. The entries span from the Deluge, dated as 2,242 years after creation to AD 1616..After the American Civil War, the 5 CoLon-ies which made up British North America, Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, held meetings to consider uniting into a single country.. This was due to a threat of annexation and invasion from the US...Tombstone Bitch Slap - YouTube

Lan Cao's debut novel Monkey Bridge traverses several opposing worlds. The novel consists of 2 narrators: Mai, a teenage Vietnamese immigrant, who flees to America on the day Saigon falls in 1975, and her mother, Thanh, who manages to join Mai a few months after Mai is settled in United States of America..3 years after their arrival in the United States, Thanh is in the hospital with a blood clot in her brain, suffering paralysis of half side. She has been calling out for Baba Quan, her father, in her sleep. Thanh and Baba Quan are supposed to meet in Saigon and leave for America together back in 1975, but this plan fails because Baba Quan, due to some unknown reason, does not show up. Since then, Thanh has "never truly recovered from the mishap that left him without the means to leave Saigon"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDF_JbrH1d0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Somerset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annals_of_the_Four_Masters
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=248 I just asked you to do 1 thing, to stay awake and watch me and to wake me up if it looked like I was having a bad dream..It is now 12, midnight and this station KRGR, leaving the Air - And now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep. And if I dye before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take.. "A flower withers in a month's time..But the turquoise bee doesn't grieve..I will not grieve either..I have asked so much of you In this short life. May we meet again In the childhood of the next"...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...postcount=1312

Last edited by lightgiver; 14-05-2014 at 09:16 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote