View Single Post
Old 25-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
abacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodeltafoxtrot View Post
http://www.aquiziam.com/ancient-technology.html

For historians this is the stuff of nightmares. How do they deal with these anomalies? For the closed minded it’s a three stage process: Ignore, deny, debunk. Still, for all their efforts the museums of the world are full of artifacts and records that don’t fit. Some are hoaxes, some are mistakes ... but some are remarkable and deserve better investigation. Here are ten popular examples of direct and indirect ancient technology that have upset the official story.
I posted a link on the Abydos Helicopter some while back.

These quotes are taken from the article I linked to:

Quote:
I got a mail from Mike Dyall-Smith from the University of Melbourne :

"We dealt with this on the AEL discussion list over a year ago. There is a much more mundane explanation (that is historically interesting in itself). These pictures have gained some notoriety because they have been promoted by "new-age or ufo buffs ". Egyptologists easily recognize that the apparent strange craft are just illusions produced by:

a) erosion of the stone surface (look at the damage over that roof area!)

b) a process of re-carving and filling in the stone to replace some of the hieroglyphs. When the filling falls out bits of the old and new glyphs overlap and form 'strange signs'. The technical term used is 'palimpsest'.
Anyone well versed in egyptological inscriptions would tell you lots of recarving of inscriptions went on in ancient Egypt as ruling kings sought to acquire the work of previous pharaohs, or to discredit them.

Regards, Mike Dyall-Smith"

Almost simultaneously, I received a very nice message from Ms. Katherine Griffis-Greenberg, from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (USA). Ms. Griffis-Greenberg is also a member of the American Research Center in Egypt and of the International Association of Egyptologists "Special Studies":

":..., I am afraid that you have been subjected to the famous "Abydos helicopter" mania, here. There is a simple explanation to what you are seeing, at least, as we see it in Egyptology. There is no mystery here; it's just a _palimpsest_ (though without the use of that term, and which is defined as "... A manuscript, typically of papyrus or parchment, that has been written on more than once, with the earlier writing incompletely erased and often legible" AHED). It was decided in antiquity to replace the five-fold royal titulary of Seti I with that of his son and successor, Ramesses II. In the photos, we clearly see "Who repulses the Nine Bows," which figures in some of the Two-Ladies names of Seti I, replaced by "Who protects Egypt and overthrows the foreign countries," a Two-Ladies name of Ramesses II. With some of the plaster that once covered Seti I's titulary now fallen away, certain of the superimposed signs do indeed look like a submarine, etc., but it's just a coincidence.

What is happening in the photographs is quite clear; just consult Juergen von Beckerath, Handbuch der aegyptischen Koenigsnamen, Muenchner aegyptologische Studien 20, pages 235 and 237.

This issue comes up from time to time on such academic e-mail lists as the Ancient Near East (ANE) List and so on, so we're all pretty familiar with it.

Regards.

Katherine Griffis-Greenberg"
Member, American Research Center in Egypt
International Association of Egyptologists
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Special Studies
There are explanations for some of these anomalies. You just have to look for them.
abacus is offline   Reply With Quote