View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #345
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inactive
Posts: 36,483
Likes: 237 (190 Posts)
Arrow Church services at Jerusalem

From 1845 to 1872 what is now the Zion Congregation was a branch of the Ebenezer Congregation. By 1872 the branch had become a tree and ready to pull out from the mother congregation to rear children of her own. In time, two congregations came mainly from this congregation: namely, Miller Chapel, 5 miles south, in 1888, and Mt. Olivet, 5 miles north in the community of Marlow, in 1919.Prior to 1845 the Lutherans in this neighborhood attended Sunday School and Church services at Jerusalem, although it wasn’t very practical due to the long distances.Sometimes they worshipped in a “Meeting House” on the land of Mr. Lewis Grovenstein, known as Union Church, and in other churches in the community..

(Front row, left to right) Elsie Biering, Hilda Steubing, Emmie Brauchle, Tuesnelda Braun, Lena Biering, Rosie Biering, Dorothea Benke, Alma Scheffler and Mabel Steubing (back row) Felix Braun, Dallas Steubing, Richard Steubing, Max Benke, George Brauchle, Pastor Frueh, Erwin Steubing, Arthur Steubing, unknown, John Galm and Julius Mossmann...
The Rev. P. A. Strobel became pastor of the Ebenezer Parish in the Summer of 1844. On page 269 of “The Salzburgers and their Descendants” by Strobel is written “During Mr. Strobel’s stay at Ebenezer, a new church was built…near the Ogeechee River. This church was designed for the accommodation of those members who had removed so far from Ebenezer that it was impracticable for them to attend preaching at the present church.” Mr. Strobel left Ebenezer at the beginning of 1849. This church of frame structure remained standing until the new one was built in 1872. The old church stood between the new one and the cemetery. The people called their church “Zion” no doubt in memory of the church by that name dedicated March 7, 1743 and located four miles south of Ebenezer...
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote