Thread: The Titanic
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #43
lightgiver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inactive
Posts: 36,483
Likes: 237 (190 Posts)
Arrow Green on Blue

The green area on the Olympic is a regular arrangement of windows on the B-deck 1st class promenade but on the Titanic, this was converted to cabins, and the arrangement of windows altered... Needless to say, any "switch" theory would have to incorporate all the extra cabins on this deck being switched to the Titanic/Olympic..the third was the HMHS Britannic (originally named Gigantic)...
The blue area is the 2nd class promenade area. On the Olympic, this ran for the last quarter of "B deck", but on the Titanic it was massively truncated to extend the 1st class restaurant out to the port side, and on the starboard side, the cafe parisien was included...one of the more famous items was a jewelled copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam...
On her maiden voyage, she carried 2,224 passengers and crew..she was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast...Under the command of Edward Smith, her passengers included some of the Wealthiest people in the world, as well as hundreds of emigrants from Great Britain and Ireland, Scandinavia and elsewhere throughout Europe seeking a new life in North America..

Quote:
The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (Persian: رباعیات عمر خیام‎) is the title that Edward FitzGerald gave to his translation of a selection of poems, originally written in Persian and of which there are about a thousand, attributed to Omar Khayyám (1048–1131), a Persian poet, mathematician and astronomer.. A ruba'i is a two-line stanza with two parts (or hemistichs) per line, hence the word rubáiyát (derived from the Arabic language root for "four"), meaning "quatrains"...The Cunard passenger liner RMS Lusitania was sunk by a German U-Boat off the Old Head of Kinsale while en route to Liverpool in on May 7, 1915.. 1198 passengers died, while 700 were rescued. The survivors and victims were brought to the town of Cobh, and over one hundred lie buried in the Old Church Cemetery just north of the town... The Lusitania Peace memorial is located in Casement Square opposite the arched building housing the Cobh Library and Courthouse,123 passengers boarded in all,They are also equipped with small arms, including GPMG's,and a helipad...only 44 survived..
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=19
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...=48933&page=11
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=104
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=114

Last edited by lightgiver; 12-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote