View Single Post
Old 15-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #448
lightgiver

Lightbulb Revelator

A Beehive is a 12–13 year old participant in the Young Women organization. The name beehive was first used in the LDS Church's organization for young women in 1913, when a Beehive Girls program was organized. In 1920, the Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association operated the Beehive House, one of the former residences of Brigham Young, as a dormitory for young girls. In 1943, the beehive was adopted as the class symbol for the youngest class of young women in the church. In 1950, the youngest class was officially given the name of Beehives. The symbol of the Beehives is a stylized beehive. The Beehive purpose statement is:
Quote:
"For the early pioneers of the Church, the beehive was a symbol of harmony, cooperation, and work. When the young women of the Church were first organized as a group, they were known as Beehives. As a member of a Beehive class today, a young woman strengthens her faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and learns to work with others in harmony and cooperation. This is a time for her to stand for truth and righteousness and “arise and shine forth” (D&C 115:5)."
The church advises that "[y]oung women and their leaders repeat the theme during Sunday opening exercises and at other Young Women gatherings.

Each "value" mentioned in the theme is assigned a colour to help in remembering the meaning and purpose of the values. The colours are used in decorating for Young Women events. The values with their colours, scriptures, and meanings are as follows:

Faith (white) (Alma 32:21) : I am a daughter of Heavenly Father, who loves me, and I will have faith in His eternal plan, which centers in Jesus Christ, my Saviour.

Divine Nature (blue) (2 Peter 1:4–7) : I have inherited divine qualities which I will strive to develop.

Individual Worth (red) (D&C 18:10) : I am of infinite worth with my own divine mission, which I will strive to fulfill.

Knowledge (green) (D&C 88:118) : I will continually seek opportunities for learning and growth.

Choice and Accountability (orange) (Joshua 24:15) : I will remain free by choosing good over evil and will accept responsibility for my choices.

Good Works (yellow) (3 Nephi 12:16) : I will nurture others and build the kingdom through righteous service.

Integrity (purple) (Job 27:5) : I will have the moral courage to make my actions consistent with my knowledge of right and wrong.

and Virtue (gold) (Proverbs 31:10) : I will prepare to enter the temple and remain pure and worthy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet..._and_revelator
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=111

Last edited by lightgiver; 15-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote