View Single Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #81
lightgiver

Arrow Abbottabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabbot 7 View Post
lightgiver could you respond to my statement please
Abbottabad is a city located in the Hazara region of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, in Pakistan. The city is situated in the Orash Valley, 50 kilometres (31 mi) northeast of the capital Islamabad and 150 kilometres (93 mi) east of Peshawar at an altitude of 1,260 metres (4,134 ft) and is the capital of the Abbottabad District. It borders Azad Kashmir to the east. The city is well-known throughout Pakistan for its pleasant weather, high-standard educational institutions and military establishments.

The 73rd meridian east forms a great circle with the 107th meridian west...the 73rd meridian east passes through...Yamal Peninsula(The well preserved remains of Lyuba, a 37,000 year old mammoth calf, were found by a reindeer herder on the peninsula in the summer of 2007)...Gujarat...just east of Ari Atoll, Maldives(Unfortunately the Buddhist sites were not protected after excavation and have been vandalized in recent times)...Passing between the McDonald Islands and Heard Island, Australia...Australian Antarctic Territory.

Major Abbott is noted for having written a poem titled "Abbottabad", before he went back to Britain, in which he wrote of his fondness for the town and his sadness at having to leave it.

I remember the day when I first came here
And smelt the sweet Abbottabad air

The trees and ground covered with snow
Gave us indeed a brilliant show

To me the place seemed like a dream
And far ran a lonesome stream

The wind hissed as if welcoming us
The pine swayed creating a lot of fuss

And the tiny cuckoo sang it away
A song very melodious and gay

I adored the place from the first sight
And was happy that my coming here was right

And eight good years here passed very soon
And we leave you perhaps on a sunny noon

Oh Abbottabad we are leaving you now
To your natural beauty do I bow

Perhaps your winds sound will never reach my ear
My gift for you is a few sad tears

I bid you farewell with a heavy heart
Never from my mind will your memories thwart...

The name of the city Abbottabad is a compound contain two words, Abbott and Abad. Abad means a place of living.

British Raj ( "reign" in Hindustani) was the British rule in the Indian subcontinent between 1858 and 1947...After 1876, the resulting political union was officially called the Indian Empire and issued passports under that name. As India, it was a founding member of the League of Nations, and a member nation of the Summer Olympics in 1900, 1920, 1928, 1932, and 1936.

Olympic Dam is a mining centre in South Australia located some 550 km NNW of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia. It is the site of an extremely large iron oxide copper gold deposit producing copper,uranium, gold and silver...the largest known single deposit of uranium in the world...It now belongs to BHP Billiton, which acquired WMC Resources in 2005...BHP Billiton is an Anglo-Australian multinational mining, oil and gas company headquartered in Melbourne, Australia and with a major management office in London, United Kingdom...It had a market capitalisation of approximately £39.6 billion as of 23 December 2011, the ninth-largest of any company listed on the London Stock Exchange.

The Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited, BHP Co. Ltd., BHP, also known as "the Big Australian", was incorporated in 1885, operating the silver and lead mine at Broken Hill in western New South Wales, Australia...Broken Hill is an isolated mining city in the far west of outback New South Wales, Australia...Broken Hill is located near the border with South Australia on the crossing of the Barrier Highway (national route 32) and the Silver City Highway...The "broken hill" that gives its name to Broken Hill actually comprised a number of hills that appeared to have a break in them. The broken hill no longer exists, having been mined away...Before Charles Sturt's naming of the town, the surrounding area was referred to by the local Aboriginal population as the "Leaping Crest".Broken Hill's massive orebody, which formed about 1,800 million years ago, has proved to be among the world's largest silver-lead-zinc mineral deposits. The orebody is shaped like a boomerang plunging into the earth at its ends and outcropping in the centre.

In the 19th and early 20th century Broken Hill was home to a community of Afghans. Afghans worked as camel drivers in many parts of outback Australia, and they made a significant contribution to economic growth at a time when transport options were limited. The camel drivers formed the first sizeable Muslim communities in Australia, and in Broken Hill they left their mark in the form of the first mosque in NSW (1891).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...outh_Australia
http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....&postcount=277

Last edited by lightgiver; 20-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote