View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
grandsecretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaziel01 View Post
Would I be correct in saying that an entered Apprentices apron's flap is upturned, showing all 5 points (relating to the 5 points of fellowship?)

what wonderful symbolism if so
No. It is a good story, but it does not mean that. First of all, masonic aprons were not that shape until they were made by machines in factories. Secondly the flap on the Scottish and Irish aprons are rounded. No points.

Note the shape of George Washington's apron. Hardly any flap at all and rounded, as is the body of the apron.

There are many such stories that become "folk lore". I heard a lecture once that suggested that the turning down of the flap in the UGLE second degree represented the connection between the spiritual world and the material world.

In reality, I suspect that some old codger in a UGLE Lodge of Instruction once thought that it was a good idea. "We've always done it that way".

Far more important. Why do Freemasons wear Masonic aprons?

The Grand Lodge of All England has no connection with any other body, Masonic or non-Masonic unless supported by a written Treaty or Agreement ratified by a Convocation of The Grand Lodge of All England. grandsecretary speaks on behalf of The Grand Lodge of All England. He does not represent the policies or views of ANY other Masonic organisation.

Last edited by grandsecretary; 11-11-2009 at 01:31 PM.
grandsecretary is offline   Reply With Quote