Electricity companies will be able to switch off your electricity

Jack

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-8706033/Smart-meters-used-switch-electricity-without-warning-compensation.html

The Government is considering giving energy networks the power to switch off a household's energy supply without warning or compensation for those affected. 

A series of 'modifications' to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring. 

These include giving networks the right to decide when they consider the grid to be in a state of 'emergency' and the power to switch off high usage electrical devices  such as electric vehicle chargers and central heating systems in British homes.

4 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Time to have solar panels and a small wind turbine and come OFF GRID. In some places the main cost of electric is the (Standing Charge). Install a wood stove. 

This is yet another interpolation into the energy market that make me think successive 'governments' have been part of a master plan to freeze everyone! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817

6 minutes ago, dumbcritic said:

This is yet another interpolation into the energy market that make me think successive 'governments' have been part of a master plan to freeze everyone! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817

Keep flip flopping

Many drivers bought diesel vehicles because they are less bad for the climate than petrol.

It turned out they created more of the particulate pollution that harms people's lungs, so now diesel car values are sliding.

Likewise, many people shelled out for wood-burning stoves because they don't add to climate change. Now they too are being hit by local pollution rules.

There are some good approved woodstoves around the world that don’t cause problems and use little fuel to keep people warm and safe. Purchase of logs in sacks from garages is not recommended due to the high price and is often Softwood species with high moisture content. (Much better to purchase direct from a local woodland source so you know it’s sustainable) Diesel vehicles can run on Bio-Fuels produced at home. 

Edited by Woodsman

Winter is the problem with going off-grid.

I have solar panels and last winter I recorded solar output and electricity usage from October to March. Every day.

My intention was to work out how much battery storage I would need to go off-grid.

TWO Tesla batteries costing about £10k would be needed. And that pays for a shed load of electricity - the payback time is about 20 years!

I have a small wood-burning stove for cool evenings (a Hobbit stove since you ask) but come proper winter the gas central heating goes on!

And I refuse to have a Smart meter - I'm an engineer - I know where the electricity goes.

58 minutes ago, alexa said:

We have a wood burner and purchase our logs from the Local farmer.

What will they be hitting us with next ?

A ban on woodburners, emitting nasty climate-changing carbon dioxide, while wildfires rage across the earth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-16/california-fires-are-emitting-record-amounts-of-carbon-dioxide

In the UK many of the first wave of smart meters could not be transferred from being monitored by one company to another company flying in the face of ministers exhortations to get a better deal for householders and businesses to save money and as a free market means for controlling price increases of private companies.

Many of the second wave do not have any sufficient functionality to achieve selective switching off of high current usage items such as electric central heating or vehicle charging points.

This instigates a further shaking of the money tree to install another round of new meters at the expense of all users as whether one has smart meters or not the price for the electricity is spread.amongst all users.

All things told the original promise for smart meters to be a money saver for users now appears only true in so far as those who don't now have them are selective targetted with higher tariffs!

Finally one might have the sneaking suspicion that the phasing out of door to door meter readers whose presence would be unwelcome during the time of a deadly pandemic is not unrelated.

In the same vein there was a strong push early in 2019 from companies to get those households still holding out to sign up for the new meters.

Edited by serpentine

Nasty buggers!

"Don't have gas central heating as it causes pollution.

Use electric heating but we might turn it off if you have it on for more than a couple hours a day.

Don't have a wood burning fire or open fire because you are  causing climate chaos my lad.

Just put 50 charity shop jumpers on pleb and jump round your flat to stay warm.

Meanwhile we'll sit in our hot jacuzzis in our vast mansions."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Likewise, many people shelled out for wood-burning stoves because they don't add to climate change. Now they too are being hit by local pollution rules.

Pollution rules? Everywhere 

I'll never stop burning wood, it's been done for thousands of years and it sure kept people alive and warm.

Natural burning will take care of mature trees if you don't, so... do it the smart way. 

• Like 1

Last year, nPower sent an engineer to 'upgrade' my meter to a smart one.

Lucky for me, the engineer was unable to do the job, as the SMETS2 'smart' meter is much bigger than the current one, and won't fit into the compact meter cupboard as there isn't room.

My landlord is (understandably) not prepared to carry out the extensive rewiring work required to move the meter and fusebox out of this small cupboard, not while a tenant is occupying the property.

So unless they can make these SMETS2 smart meters smaller, there won't be one going into this property, not while I'm living there anyway. 😃