What is your opinion on Bit Chute ?

I am on board with the idea of a video sharing site which promotes free speech, but I am fairly sure that at some point Bit chute will go the same way as youtube and start shitting on free speech. It is well within the realm of possibility for one of the large corporations, such as google to buy bit chute and then systematically start the same process all over again of shutting down free speech and views which challenge the mainstream narrative although this probably won't happen until Bit chute has gained enough traction to become more 'mainstream'.

As far as the site itself is concerned, I the overall design somewhat annoying, it regularly signs me out, forces me to provide login details just to leave a comment under a video, and I think generally, it's design is marginally less user friendly than youtube.

What is your opinion on bit chute?

Guest Gone Fishing...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:05 PM, Ethel said:

It seems to be a viable (if clunky) alternative to yewtube but with free speech.
lt's not as user friendly.

Use it....if it gets bought up and goes the way of yewtube, then we move on again..
Until then use it - as and when we need to.
BC

On 8/24/2020 at 10:05 PM, Ethel said:

I am on board with the idea of a video sharing site which promotes free speech, but I am fairly sure that at some point Bit chute will go the same way as youtube and start shitting on free speech. It is well within the realm of possibility for one of the large corporations, such as google to buy bit chute and then systematically start the same process all over again of shutting down free speech and views which challenge the mainstream narrative although this probably won't happen until Bit chute has gained enough traction to become more 'mainstream'.

As far as the site itself is concerned, I the overall design somewhat annoying, it regularly signs me out, forces me to provide login details just to leave a comment under a video, and I think generally, it's design is marginally less user friendly than youtube.

In my opinion, BitChute would do well to offer some kind of alternative commenting system, rather than use Disqus 🕵️‍♂️

Otherwise, BitChute is very promising, it is British (🇬🇧) after all, and is funded by its supporters. I think there would be a danger if they started looking for 'major investors', and started to 'pander' to external demands in order to keep shareholders happy.

On a technical note, one thing BitChute badly need to do is to implement use of oEmbed standards, so that it is easier for content creators to embed their content on their own websites, as well as allow for embedding of content shared elsewhere (like here for example).

• Like 2