This is to all creatives/musicians out there who have lost hope

Without wanting to sound like a downer (which I will anyway), its goes without saying that getting your art out there to the masses or small following is hard enough to begin with. Now with the Covid psy op and travel restrictions etc its just the final kick in the balls for me.

I'm a musician, drummer and vocalist, have been in bands over the years, went nowhere etc etc. I've struggled with mental illness so gave up on my dream for well over a decade, but was always haunted by what was probably a delusion or pipe dream of making it big, and headlining Bloodstock and Download etc. Haunted by my failings and watching others succeed where I had failed knowing I was at the same level as they were. Sour grapes for sure. 

I was just wondering how you fellow creatives deal with disappointments, feeling like theres no point anymore, what you did to cope when it all seemed like a fucking waste of time and effort and not being fulfilled. I'm in my mid 30s now and just want to gig in a metal band at venues to make up for the shit luck I had in my 20's.

Or those of you who hold onto a positive attitude, what advice you could give? 

• Like 1

Believing in God, praying to God, and believing that this world is essentially "a fairly brutal test of our strength, endurance and determination" helps greatly.

God tells us in all scriptures to turn to him and ask him for help when we feel alone and discarded and ignored by the world/society.

Whenever I feel that my work is going nowhere, or that I am running out of stamina and energy and the strength to continue my work, I pray to God.

It works for me. It keeps me going. After each prayer I feel the strength to get up and fight for one more day.

• Like 1

I'm a performer and dancer, (both on stage and as an instructor) - I also compete in my particular style of dance, both Nationally and Internationally.

I was due to compete in the biggest competition of my life this November, representing Great Britain in World Championships, but that now has been postponed to next year.

As a disabled worker and business owner, the COVID situation has shafted me and my little one woman business a million different ways.

Lots of my bookings are in rock/metal venues, which are not yet allowed to reopen.

Luckily my Dance Studio is now allowed to open, and I've worked damn hard since we were forced to close our doors to keep the clients I have and to attract new ones - We were a hair's breadth from having to close permanently.

We are now in our 4th week of re-opening.... Almost all of our classes are fully booked, and we have the most clients we have ever had. It's been a very huge turnaround.

I live with mental health problems as well as being registered disabled, and the only 2 things that have kept me focused and positive has been knowing how much my clients rely on my dance studio for their own mental and physical well-being, and knowing that no bugger is going to wave a magic wand and rescue me, so I'm going to have to do it myself. 

Just try to remember how much people loved to attend your gigs, and hear your music.

Keep as active with your network as you can...if you have a website or YouTube channel, or similar, post what you are working on during our forced postponement of sweaty moshpit fun, and what you are looking forward to when your venues can reopen again.

You will recover.

I believe in you.

🎶 COVID tried to kill the metal....it failed 🎶

☠️🤘

Edited by LittleLady
Eager fingers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LittleLady said:

I'm a performer and dancer, (both on stage and as an instructor) - I also compete in my particular style of dance, both Nationally and Internationally.

I was due to compete in the biggest competition of my life this November, representing Great Britain in World Championships, but that now has been postponed to next year.

As a disabled worker and business owner, the COVID situation has shafted me and my little one woman business a million different ways.

Lots of my bookings are in rock/metal venues, which are not yet allowed to reopen.

Luckily my Dance Studio is now allowed to open, and I've worked damn hard since we were forced to close our doors to keep the clients I have and to attract new ones - We were a hair's breadth from having to close permanently.

I live with mental health problems as well as being registered disabled, and the only 2 things that have kept me focused and positive has been knowing how much my clients rely on my dance studio for their own mental and physical well-being, and knowing that no bugger is going to wave a magic wand and rescue me, so I'm going to have to do it myself. 

Just try to remember how much people loved to attend your gigs, and hear your music.

Keep as active with your network as you can...if you have a website or YouTube channel, or similar, post what you are working on during our forced postponement of sweaty moshpit fun, and what you are looking forward to when your venues can reopen again.

🎶 COVID tried to kill the metal....it failed 🎶

☠️🤘

Love your saying at the end.

Wow dancing, thats really cool. I used to be able to dance like Michael Jackson when I was a kid but I just do freaky dances now haha.

The hardest part is communication on my part. I have aspergers which i try not to shove down peoples throats, but i tell it to people who ask me at jobs ive had i nthe past why i struggle with communication, doing something i have no interest in etc, and then I have to explain i find it hard to 'fake it til you make it', I then get asked why i didnt tell the company i had autism when i started and i say well because im  a very private person and didnt want to be treated differently.

Do you find you can communicate with people over the internet much more? I guess thats why i am here lol.  I rarely meet anyone in person who is open minded or i can connect to.

I dont leave my room much as the outside world infuriates and stresses me. How about you?

Have you seen this video? I really really like it. Let me know what you think!

• Like 1

I'm also on the spectrum, and find it very difficult to deal with sudden changes...which is another reason why I've found the Scamdemic imprisonment very difficult....and also, ironically, the return to my beloved workplace and much loved clients is of course yet another change I am learning to adapt to, albeit one I've been wishing for for a very long time.

I ventured out twice on my own during lockdown, and both times I was given a bollocking by members of the public or shop workers for touching things in the shop or not following instructions on floor stickers.

I'm registered blind/severely visually impaired, so I need to touch things, plus floor signs are no bloody use to someone like me!

I'm usually a gutsy, fiercely independent, don't-give-a-stuff-what-you-think-about-me type of person, but after those two experiences, I stopped going out alone. 

I find it difficult to communicate with people when I am in an environment that isn't controlled by myself. 

For example, in my line of work I have to welcome new members and current members, speak to prospective members and make them feel comfortable with us, and teach classes etc. 

I feel very confident doing this in my studio, because it's my little hideyhole, I'm in charge of it, and it's my territory. However, I step outside the door onto the street and I am confronted with so many variables, sounds, experiences, and things I have to think about to keep myself safe, that it's overwhelming and hard to process.

I know the video you recommended is by Sia, but unfortunately many of her videos look just like blurry blobs to me - many apologies!

• Like 1

No worries. 

Yeh I get the same when going out. The sound of traffic and people talking at the top of their voices really pisses me off and gives me a headache. I have very selfish neighbours as well that yell and scream and have parties all the time. I have to wear headphones constantly. I dream of winning the lottery so i can buy a secluded house in the countryside. That would be heaven!

• Like 1

There are lots of talented musicians out there that never make it to the "big time". My brother was one. Is it really all that though. Look at the mess many end up in, or even dead! The essence is what's important (you're very fortunate to have talent in the first place, many don't) You'll always have that. I think it's good to be mindful of not getting distracted by a goal at the expense of the enjoyment. If you get a group of likeminded musicians together, then play in a garage or whatever, as long as you're playing. Why isn't that enough. If commercial success comes then that's just an addition, not a necessity.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

There are lots of talented musicians out there that never make it to the "big time". My brother was one. Is it really all that though. Look at the mess many end up in, or even dead! The essence is what's important (you're very fortunate to have talent in the first place, many don't) You'll always have that. I think it's good to be mindful of not getting distracted by a goal at the expense of the enjoyment. If you get a group of likeminded musicians together, then play in a garage or whatever, as long as you're playing. Why isn't that enough. If commercial success comes then that's just an addition, not a necessity.

I just want to play venues. But i know its never going to happen. The dream is dead.

8 hours ago, Haunted Universe said:

Praying is repetitions of self hypnosis. 

to rudimentary imo.....

everithing in this world is inverted 

i think praying is very bad(intentionaly) way of meditation....would it work for you,i don't know 

just as religions destroy spirituality

praying does the same to meditation(just to clarify)

9 hours ago, Haunted Universe said:

Without wanting to sound like a downer (which I will anyway), its goes without saying that getting your art out there to the masses or small following is hard enough to begin with. Now with the Covid psy op and travel restrictions etc its just the final kick in the balls for me.

I'm a musician, drummer and vocalist, have been in bands over the years, went nowhere etc etc. I've struggled with mental illness so gave up on my dream for well over a decade, but was always haunted by what was probably a delusion or pipe dream of making it big, and headlining Bloodstock and Download etc. Haunted by my failings and watching others succeed where I had failed knowing I was at the same level as they were. Sour grapes for sure. 

I was just wondering how you fellow creatives deal with disappointments, feeling like theres no point anymore, what you did to cope when it all seemed like a fucking waste of time and effort and not being fulfilled. I'm in my mid 30s now and just want to gig in a metal band at venues to make up for the shit luck I had in my 20's.

I played in bands, done open mics, all that for years.

I think that many of the 'successful' people are in all honesty sellouts to the NWO.. Coldplay/U2 types

"We must stop global warming or whatever we are told to say next! - just don't mention our private jets or environmental destructive cocaine habits and our mansions and 12mpg cars."

In my fifties now & I am just happy to jam alone as a bedroom musician again, my last band collapsed due to the rhythm guitarist dying and it just stopped the feeling of a group. plus the bother of trying to setup a new band, the let-downs, the people who never turn up. all that

My advice is don't give up, keep playing, though the band scene is dead here & I don't see it coming back as there are few places left to play.

Will it help your mental health if you stop doing a thing you love?

Imho not at all.

Firstly, you're a drummer...If you are any good you will always be in demand. Try to remember that and you are half way there. I'm a guitarist and have been round the block a few times, at the moment I have no motivation to create fuck all but I know it will pass. Sooner or later this covid bollocks will come to a head one way or another and musos will unite once again. (looking for drummer to help with a project I had before all this crap started as it happens) Chin up and realise they can't take away any skills or talent we all have, or the buzz we get from it so fuck 'em.

14 hours ago, Haunted Universe said:

I'm a hobby writer and musician. Since lockdown I've had to curtail both activities. Not because I dont feel like it but because my own free time has been obliterated. Due to looking after kids and work commitments from lockdown restrictions. Whether this was a deliberate ploy or a positive side effect for the evil cunts, I'm not sure.

Suffice to say that if my creative output has ceased. Millions of others will have as well, at no fault of their own.

2 hours ago, The Illuminator said:

Whether this was a deliberate ploy or a positive side effect for the evil cunts, I'm not sure.

they are sucking the joy out of everything else, so probably a ploy.

when the bastards forced a licence to play live music it killed loads of events.

1 hour ago, shadowmoon said:

they are sucking the joy out of everything else, so probably a ploy.

when the bastards forced a licence to play live music it killed loads of events.

It's all part of it mate, get us all in a negative vibe and we will accept anything coming our way. Wankers

• Like 1
17 hours ago, shadowmoon said:

I played in bands, done open mics, all that for years.

I think that many of the 'successful' people are in all honesty sellouts to the NWO.. Coldplay/U2 types

"We must stop global warming or whatever we are told to say next! - just don't mention our private jets or environmental destructive cocaine habits and our mansions and 12mpg cars."

In my fifties now & I am just happy to jam alone as a bedroom musician again, my last band collapsed due to the rhythm guitarist dying and it just stopped the feeling of a group. plus the bother of trying to setup a new band, the let-downs, the people who never turn up. all that

My advice is don't give up, keep playing, though the band scene is dead here & I don't see it coming back as there are few places left to play.

Will it help your mental health if you stop doing a thing you love?

Imho not at all.

Sorry to hear that man, thats shit. My best mate died 3 years ago as well. 

Im saving  up for an editing/gaming pc. I was recording on Audacity for the last few days, first time ive used it. What a piece of shit. Buggy as hell then just finally died on me. 

Everything seems dead now, including the majority of people.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Babywithalaser said:

Firstly, you're a drummer...If you are any good you will always be in demand. Try to remember that and you are half way there. I'm a guitarist and have been round the block a few times, at the moment I have no motivation to create fuck all but I know it will pass. Sooner or later this covid bollocks will come to a head one way or another and musos will unite once again. (looking for drummer to help with a project I had before all this crap started as it happens) Chin up and realise they can't take away any skills or talent we all have, or the buzz we get from it so fuck 'em.

Sold my drumkit and 7 string as ive been back in the UK for under a year later living abroad for well over a decade. I'm saving up for everything again. I'm not great on guitar but i want to front my own band and be the song maker. I can shred real good prob due to being a drummer lol.  I'd like a Schecter 7 string this time, last guitar i had was a PRS, lovely guitar.  

13 hours ago, The Illuminator said:

I'm a hobby writer and musician. Since lockdown I've had to curtail both activities. Not because I dont feel like it but because my own free time has been obliterated. Due to looking after kids and work commitments from lockdown restrictions. Whether this was a deliberate ploy or a positive side effect for the evil cunts, I'm not sure.

Suffice to say that if my creative output has ceased. Millions of others will have as well, at no fault of their own.

It really is depressing.

• Sad 1

If you have lost hope, just sit quietly and go into it ... honestly ... let go the barriers and the tensions and feel what you are simply and straightforwardly without commentary, just be yourself and rest inside. 

This is always available to you.

Lost hope is actually a kind of negative pattern that takes hold of you ... inside is always light, but you must remember and not allow yourself to be carried too far down that river.

Many problems in this world are not to be taken at face value ... they are low energy phenomenon ... whatever you think the reason might be the only reason is low energy ... you can't solve those problems with thinking ... only with higher energy.  Listening to someone with a simple clean and positive mind helps to revive you.

So, life is full of ups and downs ... but make both the ups and the down more conscious.  If you are down, let the tears fall and be one with them.  And seek the up the light and be one with it.  Then you are conscious at the crest and at the trough.

It is when you are drifting that there is a problem, drifting unconsciously in low energy ... ... the troughs are not actually the problem ... it is not being awake in the trough, be straight and let the tears fall ...

Try ...

r1.png.9d05450eef75701c2c59753407ee4ffc.png

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/20/2020 at 1:07 AM, Haunted Universe said:

Hey there,

I wish I had the answers:(

I was finally starting up a band for the first time in my life (I'm 31 now) and finally felt confident enough to sing. It had taken me years of lessons etc to get there.

We were just about to hit the studio when the coronashite kicked off.

No idea when we'll get to gig..

The lockdown made a turn for my mental health, but that got me writing lyrics and vocal melodies. 

Something I had never done before!

Trying to keep motivated to sing is hard. I just keep thinking there's no point.

I've lost my passion in all of this..

I have been suffering anxiety and panic disorder for years and just last year I got myself a new hobby with learning and playing guitar. Practising the guitar is fun and there are loads of great guitar lessons on YouTube.

I have been into synths, sampling and making electronic music for 25 years now and I’m glad I’ve taking up guitar. Making electronic music on my Mac and playing my guitar has helped with my anxiety and it keeps me sane in this time of bullshit and fear mongering over this covid19 bullshit.

Edited by Artmuzz
17 hours ago, Haunted Universe said:

Sorry to hear that man, thats shit. My best mate died 3 years ago as well. 

Im saving  up for an editing/gaming pc. I was recording on Audacity for the last few days, first time ive used it. What a piece of shit. Buggy as hell then just finally died on me. 

Everything seems dead now, including the majority of people.

Been teaching myself to play acoustic delta blues lately.

Good time to learn blues ~ with all the trouble in the world. 😏

Since you are into making music - have you ever tried a new-generation MOD-tracker software like Renoise? (Supports Win and Mac OSX)

https://www.renoise.com/

Has a tracker-interface with VST plugins support.

If you need a FREE MOD-tracker, MilkyTracker is pretty sweet:

https://milkytracker.org/downloads/

For certain types of compositions - anything with a beat and baseline - a MOD Tracker just gets it done much more easily than a DAW/MIDI software.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, rideforever said:

you can't solve those problems with thinking

Very true, but i cant help it. I'm a pathological over thinker and dwell on the past and despise the future as the current existence is mired with constant booby traps, brick walls and despair. Appreciate your input, thanks.