How to delete account?

Guest Chica

I am trying to delete my account from this forum but I cannot find any option to do so under settings. I used the Contact Us option as well, at the bottom of this page, but have not received a reply. Could somebody please advise me how to delete one's account (and posts)? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AXPCalledJeff said:

Why is not possible to delete your account? 

In normal circumstances, there is no real need for anyone to delete their account.

Only the admins can delete accounts, this is usually reserved for spammers or persistent troublemakers.

If anyone no longer wishes to participate here, then just don't log in again. There's no need to have your account deleted, because you never know if you may change your mind in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metak88 said:

I assume the owners / admins would have to purchase this extension to make that option available?

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7611-delete-my-account/

"This application will allow users from specific user groups to request to delete their account. All requests will be reviewed by Staff (admins), directly on ModeratorCP -> Delete Account Requests, to approve or deny the request. The whole user content (topics, posts, attachments, polls, etc.) will be preserved; only the account will be deleted." 

So, just as easy to stop posting or request a ban..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, ZanderoBandero said:

Seems like little Hitler's are taking over everywhere.

Oh come on man and think!

If members could delete their account along with all posts the forum would be fucked.

What I mean by that is that the forum threads would be disjointed and maybe unreadable.

Now you have 76 posts and have started one thread. The loss of your posts could be not too bad but take rideforever who has 2145 posts and around 50 topics started.

If they deleted there posts, which would include all topics as well, that would make a hole in the forum readability!

One example.

Lets say that numnuts wants to leave and deletes his account and all posts. That would delete the mega covid thread which he started and ALL the 17000+ posts within it would not show any more!

As said, think about it?

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, Odie Hatzcats said:

Oh come on man and think!

If members could delete their account along with all posts the forum would be fucked.

What I mean by that is that the forum threads would be disjointed and maybe unreadable.

Now you have 76 posts and have started one thread. The loss of your posts could be not too bad but take rideforever who has 2145 posts and around 50 topics started.

If they deleted there posts, which would include all topics as well, that would make a hole in the forum readability!

One example.

Lets say that numnuts wants to leave and deletes his account and all posts. That would delete the mega covid thread which he started and ALL the 17000+ posts within it would not show any more!

As said, think about it?

You're responding to a member that hasn't visited since Sept 10th, so they're not likely to respond to that.

EU GDPR regulations do state that members of any community website have the right to request deletion of their account, and this can be done here, but the request must be made directly to a forum administrator, moderators cannot delete member accounts, that is how this forum software has been set up.

As stated previously, if members no longer wish to participate in this community, simply stop logging in after disabling any email notifications.

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

You're responding to a member that hasn't visited since Sept 10th, so they're not likely to respond to that.

Oh, you are correct, well I didn't know that! But I read it and just thought to post that the removal of an accounts post would not help the forum!

EU GDPR regulations do state that members of any community website have the right to request deletion of their account

I have read the rules as they apply to forums and they only cover material which may identify a person.

Such as a email address or an IP, along with anything posted by the member of a forum which may identify said person.

The posts themselves which are not identifying the person do not require deletion and as the forum terms state (which are in accord with the data protection act) that a member gives the right to use any content they post.

As stated previously, if members no longer wish to participate in this community, simply stop logging in after disabling any email notifications.

Not always as easy done as typed!

Edited by Odie Hatzcats

If I may add as I have read all the data protection rules as they refer to online forums.

If a person joins a forum and posts information which may identify them, there are two paths.

If the forum is an open forum (meaning that people can join and post without that post be approved first) then unless a moderator see's the post, the forum is not libel for any data breach.

But as soon as a moderator see's the post, then they must remove it or edit it to remove the identifying information.

The other type of forum is a moderated forum and in this NO post can be seen until approved by a moderator, which means that the forum is libel for any data breached.

Any hack of the data of a forum does NOT put the forum into a position of liability, as long as all was done which could be done.

18 minutes ago, Odie Hatzcats said:

If I may add as I have read all the data protection rules as they refer to online forums.

If a person joins a forum and posts information which may identify them, there are two paths.

If the forum is an open forum (meaning that people can join and post without that post be approved first) then unless a moderator see's the post, the forum is not libel for any data breach.

But as soon as a moderator see's the post, then they must remove it or edit it to remove the identifying information.

The other type of forum is a moderated forum and in this NO post can be seen until approved by a moderator, which means that the forum is libel for any data breached.

Any hack of the data of a forum does NOT put the forum into a position of liability, as long as all was done which could be done.

Our forum rules state quite clearly that members should  NOT post any personally identifiable information unless that member is comfortable doing so.

There are 'terms and conditions' as well as a 'privacy policy' that members agree to before registering an account and posting here.

Moderators can only do so much, members need to take responsibilty for their own actions too.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

In normal circumstances, there is no real need for anyone to delete their account.

Only the admins can delete accounts, this is usually reserved for spammers or persistent troublemakers.

If anyone no longer wishes to participate here, then just don't log in again. There's no need to have your account deleted, because you never know if you may change your mind in the future.

You were and are right. I am very happy I can still log in. I have already made a topic about this, but I am very sorry for my behavior last time. I was shocked of my own behavior when I cooled off. I have learned a important message and will never allow rage, feeling of being powerless or sadness corrupt me again. 

Bless your hearts.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:06 PM, AXPCalledJeff said:

You were and are right. I am very happy I can still log in. I have already made a topic about this, but I am very sorry for my behavior last time. I was shocked of my own behavior when I cooled off. I have learned a important message and will never allow rage, feeling of being powerless or sadness corrupt me again. 

Bless your hearts.

I understand how you felt. I got a temporary ban on a football forum where I've 15,000 posts - got told I had made a racist comment (a popular meme comparing one of the Rothschilds to Mr Burns) when referring to the power that they have.

Apparently, it was antisemitic.

Decided, after the initial anger, to just not go back once the ban is up. I have the option to go back there in the future but I won't be doing so for any other reason than to speak an important message on the overtime section not specifically related to football.

If my account was deleted, I wouldn't be able to do that as I'd be in pre moderation for a set probationary period.

Its simple enough, JUST **DISABLE** AN ACCOUNT IF THATS WHAT THE PERSON WANTS... And yes! if! the! request! would! be! to! ideally! grant! deletion! of! accounts! then! in! an! ideal world! that! would! be! granted!.. but for the integrity of posts people wide and historical interconnected information continuing to make sense and not deleting all posts for the sake of others, they cannot be got rid, but it should pointed out noone is trying to be a "little hitler" on purpose (at least I doubt it on this issue) . In society we are so used to being fobbed off and all, but with therefore (regarding anyone) our past experience of such it can seem as though people are not bending to our will are being awkward it can seeeeem until reassured otherwise. 

I'll tell you what is almost a hitlerism though...

I tried to change my name back in May2021...

After a while of no success... I began more asserted efforts but without being banal or overly demanding... All very polite and so I posted coordinated THREAD I eventually made ((which I felt compelled to create to get noticed after mostly unsuccessful PMs)) .. And in which by me trying to see admin PoV, I considered any angles of security (within palpable reason) where I could see if a person changed their name too many times that could be a threat to tracking who people are or at least cause general confusion among people who are not admin... But if people are seen to be auspicious and contribute well to the community, why does that raise concern???  

Because there DOES EXIST on our profiles a name change history available to all I believe. (Its available to me) challenging the excuse that namechange serves spies/troublemakers looking for obsurity and anonymity in order to commit their crimes OR simply the shadowyness of inconsistent behaviour lending to possible suspicion.. But I have done nothing to deserve having myself be name enslaved.  

I think as long as you've been here between 3 and 6 months, a name change ought be duly considered. And up to 5 times during one accounts lifetime as the minimum - FINE IF THAT WOULD THEREFORE BE STATED AS MAX. (**this should be pre-agreed in terms and pre-informed somehow, like in an inbox newbie welcome message**... Problem solved) 

I was NOT expecting to be granted COUNTLESS name changes, but the sloppy (ie, TOTALLY IGNORED, by that announcement to Gareth Icke -or whoever it was- I contacted (more than 1 admin  including webmaster) but also noted in my Mission to Name Change My Name thread)

so acknowledgement of my own heed given to this in terms of MY INTENTION was cast out by that ignorance without a glance to be heeded back.... and so the result was whilst the intended temporary "TetraG" I initially requested was by long wait changed over to that (using my same account as I began with as rightly so for convenience), it, nontheless was not at all acknowledged that TetraG was a STEPPING STONE from my old name AS I POINTED OUT ON DEAF EARS.. becoming the similar but shortened new TEMPORARY one! 

This made mt TetraG name stick but I was warned it would be MY ONLY NAME CHANGE. No forewarning at all. 

Temporary was a good idea for me AT THE TIME, b/c I was still thinking up a good name anyways to be more longer term, hence why, and I explained all this publicly & openly so as to make clear it was not to deceive or fool anybody. I had no reason to keep hush about a namechange (supposing that were even possible to be hush).

To my annoyance I am still stuck with "TetraG" (=a case tountamount to hitlerism) 

Edited by TetraG

This part ReEdited slightly FOR BETTER COHERENCY:

I was NOT expecting to be granted COUNTLESS name changes, and on course to do what I thought was sensible via the STEPPING STONE APPROACH (that in essence ended being TOTALLY IGNORED correspondance wise, so that admin seemed to have no desire to check my intention... Whether be so by that announcement i made to Gareth Icke -or whoever it was- I contacted (more than 1 admin including webmaster) but also noted in my intention in "Mission to Name Change My Name" thread which seemed not carefully read either.  

.... so acknowledgement of what I was saying to the appointed whom I told this (points of intention made public or in PM to admin) got virtually no attention....

Certainly in terms of MY INTENTION about my temporary choice on a name SINCE IT STUCK...

THAT STEPPING STONE NAME was hence in effect cast out by that ignorance without a glance to be heeded back to me what if anything had been understood as per my request.... and so the result was whilst the intended temporary "TetraG" I initially requested was eventually granted by long wait changed over to that (using my same account as I began with - as rightly so for convenience & EASY traceability), it, nontheless was not at all acknowledged that TetraG was a STEPPING STONE from my old name AS I POINTED OUT ON DEAF EARS.. becoming the similar but shortened new TEMPORARY one >>>("TetraG"!)  

Whilstever

psychological

impairment is set

to reign...so does

free will erode.

Self Identity is a

personal and

therefore important

thing for the individual

to be in control over.   

My request did not pertinaciously get understood I guess or certainly if it were (which I doubt) being understood would have meant me receiving a PM showing that understanding for the my slightly longer term intention I would ascribe. 

(up to 2 name changes was all I was intending at the time back in May 2021, I now recommend a commensurate 5 max changes as outlined above, simply for how many times a name change can be offered in future once that is made clear to THE USER at the start) 

And listen:

Even so after not getting what I wanted I have not once (for example~ rudely) berated any staff member over this issue. As why let one issue not well handled,   adversely effect interaction as a whole -  in general. (Which is exactly how it has been, so I have not let this one issue spread discontent inappropiately) 

FOR MORE, Or if you wish to have YOUR NAME changed==Go Here -->

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/topic/19376-mission-namechange-of-my-name/

"Mission to Name Change My Name" thread. (OPEN TO ALL I recommend, it is my thread I started) 

Edited by TetraG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Grumpy Owl pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...