How to delete account?

Guest Chica

I am trying to delete my account from this forum but I cannot find any option to do so under settings. I used the Contact Us option as well, at the bottom of this page, but have not received a reply. Could somebody please advise me how to delete one's account (and posts)? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AXPCalledJeff said:

Why is not possible to delete your account? 

In normal circumstances, there is no real need for anyone to delete their account.

Only the admins can delete accounts, this is usually reserved for spammers or persistent troublemakers.

If anyone no longer wishes to participate here, then just don't log in again. There's no need to have your account deleted, because you never know if you may change your mind in the future.

1 hour ago, metak88 said:

I assume the owners / admins would have to purchase this extension to make that option available?

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7611-delete-my-account/

"This application will allow users from specific user groups to request to delete their account. All requests will be reviewed by Staff (admins), directly on ModeratorCP -> Delete Account Requests, to approve or deny the request. The whole user content (topics, posts, attachments, polls, etc.) will be preserved; only the account will be deleted." 

So, just as easy to stop posting or request a ban..

Why don't you just delete the account?

Sometimes people want to draw a line under the experience of being on a forum without being told that they cannot do that.

It's like being told that you cannot die without somebody else's permission.

That doesn't feel right to me.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, ZanderoBandero said:

Seems like little Hitler's are taking over everywhere.

Oh come on man and think!

If members could delete their account along with all posts the forum would be fucked.

What I mean by that is that the forum threads would be disjointed and maybe unreadable.

Now you have 76 posts and have started one thread. The loss of your posts could be not too bad but take rideforever who has 2145 posts and around 50 topics started.

If they deleted there posts, which would include all topics as well, that would make a hole in the forum readability!

One example.

Lets say that numnuts wants to leave and deletes his account and all posts. That would delete the mega covid thread which he started and ALL the 17000+ posts within it would not show any more!

As said, think about it?

• Like 2
On 12/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, Odie Hatzcats said:

Oh come on man and think!

If members could delete their account along with all posts the forum would be fucked.

What I mean by that is that the forum threads would be disjointed and maybe unreadable.

Now you have 76 posts and have started one thread. The loss of your posts could be not too bad but take rideforever who has 2145 posts and around 50 topics started.

If they deleted there posts, which would include all topics as well, that would make a hole in the forum readability!

One example.

Lets say that numnuts wants to leave and deletes his account and all posts. That would delete the mega covid thread which he started and ALL the 17000+ posts within it would not show any more!

As said, think about it?

You're responding to a member that hasn't visited since Sept 10th, so they're not likely to respond to that.

EU GDPR regulations do state that members of any community website have the right to request deletion of their account, and this can be done here, but the request must be made directly to a forum administrator, moderators cannot delete member accounts, that is how this forum software has been set up.

As stated previously, if members no longer wish to participate in this community, simply stop logging in after disabling any email notifications.

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

You're responding to a member that hasn't visited since Sept 10th, so they're not likely to respond to that.

Oh, you are correct, well I didn't know that! But I read it and just thought to post that the removal of an accounts post would not help the forum!

EU GDPR regulations do state that members of any community website have the right to request deletion of their account

I have read the rules as they apply to forums and they only cover material which may identify a person.

Such as a email address or an IP, along with anything posted by the member of a forum which may identify said person.

The posts themselves which are not identifying the person do not require deletion and as the forum terms state (which are in accord with the data protection act) that a member gives the right to use any content they post.

As stated previously, if members no longer wish to participate in this community, simply stop logging in after disabling any email notifications.

Not always as easy done as typed!

Edited by Odie Hatzcats

If I may add as I have read all the data protection rules as they refer to online forums.

If a person joins a forum and posts information which may identify them, there are two paths.

If the forum is an open forum (meaning that people can join and post without that post be approved first) then unless a moderator see's the post, the forum is not libel for any data breach.

But as soon as a moderator see's the post, then they must remove it or edit it to remove the identifying information.

The other type of forum is a moderated forum and in this NO post can be seen until approved by a moderator, which means that the forum is libel for any data breached.

Any hack of the data of a forum does NOT put the forum into a position of liability, as long as all was done which could be done.

18 minutes ago, Odie Hatzcats said:

If I may add as I have read all the data protection rules as they refer to online forums.

If a person joins a forum and posts information which may identify them, there are two paths.

If the forum is an open forum (meaning that people can join and post without that post be approved first) then unless a moderator see's the post, the forum is not libel for any data breach.

But as soon as a moderator see's the post, then they must remove it or edit it to remove the identifying information.

The other type of forum is a moderated forum and in this NO post can be seen until approved by a moderator, which means that the forum is libel for any data breached.

Any hack of the data of a forum does NOT put the forum into a position of liability, as long as all was done which could be done.

Our forum rules state quite clearly that members should  NOT post any personally identifiable information unless that member is comfortable doing so.

There are 'terms and conditions' as well as a 'privacy policy' that members agree to before registering an account and posting here.

Moderators can only do so much, members need to take responsibilty for their own actions too.

• Like 1