Weight and health - the great debate/the dreadful obese

Jode

Hi another poster said she would start a thread over here on the "tackling obesity issue" but I cant find one so I thought I'd start one.

I'm obese - a size 18. In and out of the diet industry since 11 years old. I HATE the diet industry now and will absolutely not return to a slimming club. I dont want to be obese but I struggle to restrict...once I start restricting I binge - infact I only have to think about it and I'm craving crap food....

I have been trying to get in touch with this intuitive eating movement....

I'm doing ok and seem to have finally stopped gaining weight after my last diet attempt failed but I'm obviously suffering being overweight. I feel like there is a lot of weight bias on this forum so havent approached this before...

I'm a single mum of two and one daughter is very active but fussy as hell with food and lives on plain pasta, quorn and lettuce and cucumber and sometimes broccoli.... doesn't like fish, doesnt like meat, doesnt like much really. She has a socially acceptable slim physique and looks a picture of health - but I imagine she isn't very well nourished.

My youngest is built more like me - she is chubby and soft and loves her food. She definitely gets her comfort from food like me - and I dont mean chocolate and sweets but we both love delicious rich dinners like stews and pies (homemade but still calorie heavy arent they)

None of us eat processed food ever

We try to eat fruit for breakfast and some variation of sandwiches or pasta salads for lunch, and some kind of meat, veg, carb combo for tea. None of us eat chips but we like rice which isn't so good but it's cheap and filling. My food budget is around 60 pound a week so I really cant do all separate meals for us. We all love fruit but it's gone in the first two/three days between the three of us that's why cereals/biscuits ect are classed as "cheaper" because they last

Some days I dont eat breakfast and lunch so they have more of  the best and fresh food...

Anyway just wanted to start a thread and get some thoughts on how others manage

Edited by Jode
Added comment

9 hours ago, Jode said:

I feel like there is a lot of weight bias on this forum so havent approached this before...

Yeah that’s shitty and should no longer be tolerated.  You are clearly not lazy and you sacrifice for your children.  Critics can blow.  

The cards are stacked against you as you probably already realize.  

First culturally, in the West we are conditioned to eat three or more times a day, which is not only excessive, but works to deteriorate the body faster.  
Much cultural activity revolves around food, celebrations, family gatherings, etc.  

This, as FinallyAwake said, is purely for the benefit of the food and sickness industries.  

Totally counterintuitive message to “eat several small meals a day to ‘boost metabolism’” is a lie.  

This shit here:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-to-read-food-labels/

Is total lies.  

Book: Fatter, Sicker, Poorer (Trasande, 2019) 

“Diet and obesity is not cut and dry calories in calories out.  Increased calories does not explain the obesity epidemic nor does inactivity.  
Carefully designed, peer reviewed studies have drawn increasingly convincing links between obesity and prenatal and early childhood exposure to pesticides, bisphenols (BPA), and plasticizers such as phthalates.  Other studies suggest adults may gain weight and develop diabetes in response to exposures later in life.” 

“Phthalates trigger PPAR receptors and disrupt metabolic function, causing mismanagement of calorie processing and diverting food into fat creation rather than muscle.” 

“As many pollutants are fat soluble, they accumulate there and persist for years if not decades.”  

So you see the situation is dire.  

Wheat, grains, etc. should be eaten sparingly if at all.  Consider them as white sugar.  Fruit also sparingly.  Half it. 

Fats: nuts, seeds, flax seeds in plain coconut yogurt, avocados if you can get them there.  Tablespoon of coconut oil a day will fortify the body and help with satiety. 

Eating much less, smaller portions and limiting the time window in which eating happens will allow the body to divert energy and resources from digesting to healing. 

Fasting, simple juice to start will recondition you to eat less.  Don’t have to have a lot of exotic ingredients to start. 
Lots of books to assist in fasting out there from a spiritual angle as well.  

Fasting is difficult at first!  Fist time I was an asshole especially when I had to cook for everyone else.  This subsides later. 

People may say you will starve, which is another lie.  People have and do fast for as many as forty days.  Fasting 16-24 hours is a ok. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Michi713 said:

Yeah that’s shitty and should no longer be tolerated.  You are clearly not lazy and you sacrifice for your children.  Critics can blow.  

The cards are stacked against you as you probably already realize.  

First culturally, in the West we are conditioned to eat three or more times a day, which is not only excessive, but works to deteriorate the body faster.  
Much cultural activity revolves around food, celebrations, family gatherings, etc.  

This, as FinallyAwake said, is purely for the benefit of the food and sickness industries.  

Totally counterintuitive message to “eat several small meals a day to ‘boost metabolism’” is a lie.  

This shit here:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-to-read-food-labels/

Is total lies.  

Book: Fatter, Sicker, Poorer (Trasande, 2019) 

“Diet and obesity is not cut and dry calories in calories out.  Increased calories does not explain the obesity epidemic nor does inactivity.  
Carefully designed, peer reviewed studies have drawn increasingly convincing links between obesity and prenatal and early childhood exposure to pesticides, bisphenols (BPA), and plasticizers such as phthalates.  Other studies suggest adults may gain weight and develop diabetes in response to exposures later in life.” 

“Phthalates trigger PPAR receptors and disrupt metabolic function, causing mismanagement of calorie processing and diverting food into fat creation rather than muscle.” 

“As many pollutants are fat soluble, they accumulate there and persist for years if not decades.”  

So you see the situation is dire.  

Wheat, grains, etc. should be eaten sparingly if at all.  Consider them as white sugar.  Fruit also sparingly.  Half it. 

Fats: nuts, seeds, flax seeds in plain coconut yogurt, avocados if you can get them there.  Tablespoon of coconut oil a day will fortify the body and help with satiety. 

Eating much less, smaller portions and limiting the time window in which eating happens will allow the body to divert energy and resources from digesting to healing. 

Fasting, simple juice to start will recondition you to eat less.  Don’t have to have a lot of exotic ingredients to start. 
Lots of books to assist in fasting out there from a spiritual angle as well.  

Fasting is difficult at first!  Fist time I was an asshole especially when I had to cook for everyone else.  This subsides later. 

People may say you will starve, which is another lie.  People have and do fast for as many as forty days.  Fasting 16-24 hours is a ok. 

Great post @Michi713.  Would add that we've mostly forgotten what hunger feels like due to a never-ending supply of food being available 24/7.  Need to mention things like the contraceptive pill and HRT, they're not conducive to good health especially when so many are ending up with autoimmune disease(s).