Jump to content

27 things to consider for survival


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Deus_Videt said:

Another few Suggestions:

Keep maps handy (and learn how to read them)!

Get familiar with the vegetation and wildlife of your region. 

Learn to use the Sun and stars for Navigation- It's embarrassing to not know where North is without a compass, isn't it?

 

 

Crazy ideas ..lol... where exactly do you think you'll be travelling too??? 

 

"vegetation and wildlife in your area" ...good luck eating that ! 

 

You've been watching too many survival movies , people travelling around , road warrior ....Fantasy Land   

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oz93666 said:

 

Karma aside , these weapons are not appropriate for what's ahead ...  In all certainty you will not be out in a field taking on people , but in your flat ... throwing hydrochloric acid around ?? Napalm ??? lol ...give me a break it will get you too! ... Even a knife or sword  is a bad idea ... most people will shrink from using them ,  your flat will be a bloody mess , you will have bodies to dispose of , and the "authorities" if active will not like you doing this.....

 

A zapper (cattle prod) is ideal ... this can also be designed to protect an area with wires , like an electric fence.

 

 

Yeah one zapper against 10 nwo officers..terrific planning.

They will just taze me and take me out.

"Dont come near or I will do you with my electric walking stick.." lol

Most people may shrink from knives?  then they are lost already.

If SHTF you meet violence with violence, not waving flowers and singing Imagine to make it go away..

Edited by shadowmoon
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oz93666 said:

Forget growing , if you live in a populated area ..... We are only thinking of growing because the supermarkets are empty ! And in that case hungry people will grab your growing food in the night!

 

Oh dear, you really don't get it at all, do you? You live in a jungle in Thailand, yet you insist on telling people in all areas and all demographics exactly what they should or shouldn't do, and think that writing it in large bold type gives it more gravitas? What about if someone lives in a high rise with a large balcony, or has a high walled secluded garden, or has a couple of rottweilers and a shotgun? In all probability these 'marauding hordes' wouldn't even know a vegetable from a weed anyway, or what to do with it if they got it.

Well in my case I've been growing for the last three years while the supermarkets have been full, so again you're incorrect, bold type or otherwise.

One possibility and one solution, beans and tazer, and any other possibilities or solutions are wrong, right?

 

7 hours ago, oz93666 said:

Those living in the countryside  , like you , can grow ... but you should have already figured out you need a good pair of shoes , and a good knife ...

 

Most of "us" normally wear boots, not  shoes, but that aside I was merely giving my observations on what I personally found to be "good" or otherwise. For example, through use I found that a £90 pair of Barbours are not worth the outlay. Actually unlike you I don't profess to have all the answers, and put a question out for suggestions for a "good" pair of waterproof boots (not shoes!).

Similarly with the knife, I came across a good knife at a good price and was merely passing on that information. What's the problem?

 

8 hours ago, oz93666 said:

put 2 inches of seeds in the bottom of a plastic water bottle , soak for 3 hours then drain and rinse often

 

And in a potential grid down situation where clean drinking water becomes a valuable asset, where does this water come from?

If you can go 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water, should you be using it to "rinse often" your beans?

Of course you could always boil water to make it safe to drink right? 

Unfold your firebox, use your knife to make tinder, your firestick to ignite it, a pot for the water and in 7 minutes or so you have all the drinking water you need.......but wait! 

You don't have any of those things do you? They're all stupid and unnecessary aren't they? They're all just silly toys for idiots playing camping, right?

As I said, one particular solution for one particular scenario....provided everything falls exactly into place as you predict. Otherwise, it's goodnight....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Storm in the garden said:

 

What about if someone lives in a high rise with a large balcony, or has a high walled secluded garden, or has a couple of rottweilers and a shotgun? In all probability these 'marauding hordes' wouldn't even know a vegetable from a weed anyway, or what to do with it if they got it.

 

Well of course , if you're growing area is secure that's fine , but people in other threads  have been talking about getting down to their allotments .... I may not live in the UK now , but have spent most of my life living in London ... and ran an allotment , I know even in normal times things get pinched ....

 

You bring up the issue of water  , I would imagine this would be the last thing to go ... If mains water supply ceases  then things get messy quick , no flushing toilets .... for drinking and sprouting the requirement is very small and can be collected from the roof ...

 

Again, all my observations are aimed at people who live in densely populated areas  .. that's the vast majority . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oz93666 said:

Collapsible cooking stove ? twigs and a fire stick ??? why will you be cooking outside ???? presumably you live in a dwelling now , cook inside now ... why change that?? 

 

I forgot about this bit....I'll tell you exactly why.

I have both a solid fuel range and also a wood burning stove, both of which require preparation to get going and fuel to keep going. To reach the temperature required to boil water would take time (up to one hour) and a decent amount of firewood (they're both made of cast iron which heats slowly and cools slowly making them ideal for heat retention over long periods).

Do I want to go through all this on a mild day to merely boil some water? No I don't. Normally I'd boil a kettle or use my electric cooker, but that's not an option if there's no electricity??

If I have the option of boiling water in 7 minutes for free outside I think I might go with that option. Does that answer your question?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Storm in the garden said:

 

I forgot about this bit....I'll tell you exactly why.

I have both a solid fuel range and also a wood burning stove, both of which require preparation to get going and fuel to keep going. To reach the temperature required to boil water would take time (up to one hour) and a decent amount of firewood (they're both made of cast iron which heats slowly and cools slowly making them ideal for heat retention over long periods).

Do I want to go through all this on a mild day to merely boil some water? No I don't. Normally I'd boil a kettle or use my electric cooker, but that's not an option if there's no electricity??

If I have the option of boiling water in 7 minutes for free outside I think I might go with that option. Does that answer your question?

 

 

Well that sort of reinforces my point .... you are already living in nature .... already in survival mode ,  paradoxically you may not be the best person to advise city dwellers how to survive .

 

What is someone living in London suppose to do with this collapsible cooking stove ...go out on the street looking for twigs to burn when there's no trees anywhere ? 

 

I understand what's involved in surviving in a city ...it will be extremely challenging ...city dwellers generally don't know how to grow and have nowhere  secure to grow it ...

 

So for them it comes back to staying put , stocking up , and making a taser light saber ...

 

Edit .... I've just read your first post on this thread , and have to say , it's really pretty good .... Just regarding your point on solar and it being very cloudy where you are .... panels are very cheap now , and do output some power on cloudy days ...I would think solar is the best option for you , just a 100W panel and a car battery should cover all your lighting needs , and  heat water for a cup of tea (12V cup water heaters are available ) ... running a refrigerator is another matter . 

 

s-l225.webps-l225.webp best lights are  LED self adhesive strip run on 12V  warm white 

Edited by oz93666
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oz93666 said:

Well that sort of reinforces my point .... you are already living in nature .... already in survival mode ,  paradoxically you may not be the best person to advise city dwellers how to survive .

 

What is someone living in London suppose to do with this collapsible cooking stove ...go out on the street looking for twigs to burn when there's no trees anywhere ? 

 

I understand what's involved in surviving in a city ...it will be extremely challenging ...city dwellers generally don't know how to grow and have nowhere  secure to grow it ...

 

So for them it comes back to staying put , stocking up , and making a taser light saber ...

 

When I started this thread I produced a list of 27 things people might want to consider for if and when our current situation deteriorates. That's all. 

I never said anyone should do anything, it was a list of suggestions. I never said the situation will pan out in a particular way.

On the other hand you are telling people what to do based on your assumptions. You assume the situation is going to pan out in a particular way, you assume people live in a particular location, you assume clean water is available, you assume there will be no need for fire, and your answer to every possible scenario is sprouting beans and a tazer?

Well I'm sorry but your singular solution does not fit my criteria, and possibly a lot more people besides. I gave suggestions and you're giving instructions based on your predictions, and those predictions are based on a very narrow band of assumptions. If people want to row in with that then fine, but personally I'd prefer to consider that there are other possibilities.

I personally wouldn't consider locking myself away and surviving on a diet of sprouting beans as living, but that's just me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oz93666 said:

 

Crazy ideas ..lol... where exactly do you think you'll be travelling too??? 

 

"vegetation and wildlife in your area" ...good luck eating that ! 

 

You've been watching too many survival movies , people travelling around , road warrior ....Fantasy Land   

How cute of you to assume that i self indoctrinate myself with the Cinema 🙂

Although my advice is relative to the reader, it's still valid regardless as to how theatrical you think it may or may not be.

It's perhaps a yankee perspective, as I know little about population density anywhere else but in the US. 

I was fortunate enough to grow up in the actual middle of nowhere. May be a "city" dweller now, but i'll at least (hopefully) be 2 steps ahead in a SHTF scenario.

 

+ unless you live somewhere with absolutely no local wildlife, it is absolutely beneficial to get familiar with it.  'Scuse this, but we have been brought up to recognize and differentiate business logos, but a majority of us more than likely couldn't identify common trees by their leaves. 

Edited by Deus_Videt
Edited to throw in another useless blip, didn't want to make another post
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, shadowmoon said:

Yeah one zapper against 10 nwo officers..terrific planning.

They will just taze me and take me out.

"Dont come near or I will do you with my electric walking stick.." lol

Most people may shrink from knives?  then they are lost already.

If SHTF you meet violence with violence, not waving flowers and singing Imagine to make it go away..

 

The Zapper is not for protecting you from government enforcement , only invisibility can do that  . ... That is to say a secret underground space for you to hide in  , if they think the house is empty they'll move along...

 

The Zapper is to protect from marauding mutants ... After food comes under government control there will be roaming gangs , home invaders looking for your food and to eat you!  .By then many will have taken vaccines and got a full compliment of nano chips these combined  with 5G they will give the controllers  powerful mind control and they can send the suggestion "Eat People" ... then you will wish you had one of oz's patent zappers ...  In a confined space (Hallway/doorway) you can hold them all at bay , they will not have  guns in the UK.

zombiewalk3

Edited by oz93666
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Storm in the garden said:

 

This is what I mean, you're only looking at this from one perspective....yours.    For example.....

I live rural, so who's going to stop me or even see me? Nobody. I know where there's ample firewood within walking distance, so I would be going out.

 

 

Again, you have no idea whether it is realistic or not, you're just guessing. I don't live in a flat and most likely wouldn't be staying put either.

 

 

 

What I grow is not visible from the road so who's to know I grow food? Also, I have dogs which alert me if anyone comes within 100 yards of the house.

 

 

 

The likelihood in the scenario you refer to is that the mains may not be working. I have one of those solar 18650 chargers and it takes a minimum of  two days to charge a single 18650. However you may live in a sunnier area than I do. Either way I not be confident having a fully charged zapper if faced by someone wielding a hatchet.

 

 

Would it be a silly idea to board up your windows and hunker down??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...