Quit antidepressants 8 weeks ago!

Hi all

have not posted on these forums for quite some time but thought I would with this topic! Because I thought there have to be lots of ‘awake’ people on here. 

Anyway, I was on the antidepressant Sertraline for some time but woke up one day 8 weeks ago and stopped, decided there and then to quit. 

i had experienced negative effects from the medication, bad dreams almost every night, lack of interest in a lot of things, horrendously bad ‘sweet tooth’, low attention span etc. 

The first two weeks I didn’t see much difference, the three weeks after I felt pretty low and miserable and almost considered taking them again. But I persevered and now the past 3 weeks I have felt the best I have in several years and almost feel a clarity of thinking about the world and about my own self. 

what are your thoughts on these type of meds? I now feel very untrusting of them. Now I’ve switched to a vegetarian diet, am more aware of myself and things, or am least moving in that direction. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Personally after the research I have done, my view of them is very negative. They are addictive and sometimes dangerous, with many undesired side effects. They never get to the root cause, and may natural foods, plants and herbs do a way better job with none of the danger. Glad you have ditched them and doing way better! Keep it up 🙂 

• Like 1

Great thread!

I'm on the road to quitting my antidepressant Clomipramine. It's an old school one due to intolerance to other types.. 

Anyway, it has made me a recluse and very, very tired all the time. I'm absolutely exhausted 24/7, no matter how much sleep I get. 

I was on 100mg, now on 75mg..

Think Dr is dropping them 25mg each month until I'm off them.

Part of me is scared as it helps a lot with obsessive thoughts and ocd tendencies and I worry I'll lose the plot even more than I am now. 

I'll follow this as it's very encouraging for me 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read the symptoms on the back of the leaflet (pil) and you will be able to answer your own questions. Here is what they don't always tell you though to make it sound like one in a million chance.....

• Very common: more than 1 in 10 people are affected
  • Common: between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people are affected
  • Uncommon: between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1,000 people are affected
  • Rare: between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 10,000 people are affected
  • Very rare: fewer than 1 in 10,000 people are affected

Knowing that these are your odds then 1/10,000 could get the very rare or rare  symptoms on the leaflet (pil).

See my last post under the title "should we be taking medication" on the same page as this further down for more info.....

You have the power to go in whatever direction the heart will lead you...good luck.

• Thanks 1

The dr tried to get me to take them, I refused & they wrote 'unhelpful' on my medical records.

I have friends who take them, they were offered 'a short course of antidepressants' over 20 years ago & they still take them now.

It's no cure & I don't know how much of a remedy.?

Congratulations on getting off the pills!  My mom is still on them, don’t think she will ever get off.  Did research for her anyway.

From the book: Deadly Medicines and Organized Crime by Peter Gotzsche:

“Psychiatrists make more money than any other specialty.  Those who make the most money tend to prescribe to children most often.”(p. 191)

You see the DSM, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is made up as they go along, to fit drug company agendas.  

DSM 3 has 297 different ways to be mentally ill.

The next publication, DSM 4, has 374 ways to be mentally ill! 

For example, one disorder is called “Masochistic Personality Disorder” was  intended for women who are beaten up by their husbands.  Give em a pill that’ll solve it!

“SSRIs have amphetamine-like (speed) effects”(p. 194)

“ADHD drugs can damage the heart in the same way as seen in long-term cocaine addicts and lead to death, even in children.”

“We also know that ADHD drugs cause bipolar disorder in about 10% of the children.” (p. 194)

So a misguided parent brings their child into the doc office, usually at the recommendation of A TEACHER, gets the kid Dx for ADHD, gets the kid hooked on SPEED, the child develops bipolar disorder from the speed, and you can guess what happens next.  

The parent brings the child back to the doctor, gets new Dx and now is on antipsychotics IN ADDITION to the ADHD drugs.  Next, they get on drugs to manage the side effects of the other drugs and you have totally pilled up, sick children.  Same for teens and adults. 

More from the book:

“The rate of depression in the population has increased a thousandfold since the days when we didn’t have antidepressant drugs.”

“What’s coming down the pike for DSM 5?  Bereavement depressive disorder if it lasts more than 2 weeks!”  There’s a pill for that!

Tapering off these drugs is so important because of their amphetamine like effects!!!

(Though tapering off is not unproblematic, it gives you a lot of withdrawal symptoms too.) 

• Like 1

Well done x just well done. Have lots of soup..watch box sets...be kind to yourself.. it is totally worth it. I've not looked back since I did it. In fact I'm better off them than on x 

• Like 2
On 7/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, shadowmoon said:

The dr tried to get me to take them, I refused & they wrote 'unhelpful' on my medical records.

I have friends who take them, they were offered 'a short course of antidepressants' over 20 years ago & they still take them now.

It's no cure & I don't know how much of a remedy.?

@shadowmoon worth reading the Quality and Outcomes Framework in conjunction with the latest GP contract, it will answer your questions.

Congratulations on quitting! I have quit, I was nursing my Mum through cancer and then she passed away, so I felt I needed something to take edge off the panic.  I stayed low dose 50mg, which did help, but dr tried to whack up the dose to 200mg when it was a couple of months after and I cried mentioning Mum, which I think is natural grief stage. I bartered down to 100mg, but never took the higher dose.  I then cut tablets in half, then half again etc, gradual decrease.  Saved me money too!😉  Had bad couple of weeks about 2 weeks ago, flashbacks and anger actually, but getting stronger emotionally now!  Off completely about a week, very tired this week though. I want to get off other medication for ulcers, trying through diet.  I read a lot of anti cancer literature looking after my Mum, so I have been educating myself. I think milk was a big problem for acid reflux so on soya now. Drs don't get to the root of the problems so I had to trial and error myself. Working from home gave me time to come off whilst dealing with the symptoms, if I was working normally I would not have felt confident to do it.  Good luck to all on your journey to health!👍

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done indeed, I know quite a few people who have been on them too, some very close, they quit them one day out of the blue like you have.
One of the main symptoms they had were lockjaw, feeling like they had to chomp down hard on their lower jaw, dry eyes, and general headaches every single day.
Loss of libido, severe neck aches all the way from the lower neck and up to the back of the head.

Emotionally - Totally flattens out your emotions - completely flat - on a constant level -certainly not in a good way -  can never raise them, no matter what the situation.

Coming off them:  Dizziness, tiredness, and more headaches - but went fairly quick - (1 week to ten days) and they have ALL said - they are better off without them.

Edited by sickofallthebollocks
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping this thread, but has anyone been on Clomipramine or any other tricyclic? 

Down to 25mg now from 100 and feel sooo crap. 

I've done this very gradually over a few months.

Tiredness, blankness, nausea. 

I am hoping these symptoms will stop when I stop taking the tablets.. . 

Congratulations. You have done the right thing for your body, mind and spirit. I had experience of several of these medications, and was on one of them in particular for a long time. I successfully came off it around ten years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. 

There is so much destruction in what big pharma and psychiatry do. They have done so much damage to the world, with their relentless pathologization of every facet of human existence. It must be great for you to know that you are now not contributing towards that.

Again, congratulations.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ethel said:

Congratulations. You have done the right thing for your body, mind and spirit. I had experience of several of these medications, and was on one of them in particular for a long time. I successfully came off it around ten years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. 

There is so much destruction in what big pharma and psychiatry do. They have done so much damage to the world, with their relentless pathologization of every facet of human existence. It must be great for you to know that you are now not contributing towards that.

Again, congratulations.

Thank you so much. 

It's been a long road, but I'm hoping to get my life back. I forgot how it feels to feel "normal" 

Especially my memory. That's terrible these days and I'm only 32.

How did they make you feel when on them and then coming off them? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, allymisfit said:

Thank you so much. 

It's been a long road, but I'm hoping to get my life back. I forgot how it feels to feel "normal" 

Especially my memory. That's terrible these days and I'm only 32.

How did they make you feel when on them and then coming off them? 

I know what you mean about the not feeling normal. When coming off them I felt weird, disconnected, and would also get these little tremor things. But I made my mind up I was never going back, ever. I would rather experience the extreme depression I have often experienced than go back on those things again.

1 minute ago, allymisfit said:

Because I was very suicidal. 

So on hindsight, did the anti-depressants make things better or worse. Are you no longer suicidal, why?

If some of my questions seems to personal I just want to assure you I'm not making fun of you.

50 minutes ago, Lord Humungus said:

So on hindsight, did the anti-depressants make things better or worse. Are you no longer suicidal, why?

If some of my questions seems to personal I just want to assure you I'm not making fun of you.

They helped me a lot, yes. Very sedating. 

However, after years on them, I feel it's time to come off. I'm fed up of being comatose and living in a shit hole because I lack so much energy. 

I'd love to enjoy food again without feeling sick and putting on weight at the slightest sight. 

Many reasons why I wish to stop. 

I am receiving two forms of talking therapy a week to get me back on my feet. 

2 minutes ago, allymisfit said:

However, after years on them, I feel it's time to come off. I'm fed up of being comatose and living in a shit hole because I lack so much energy. 

I'd love to enjoy food again without feeling sick and putting on weight at the slightest sight. 

Many reasons why I wish to stop. 

I am receiving two forms of talking therapy a week to get me back on my feet. 

I was once depressed and self-destructive. What helps me is having a purpose in my work. And my faith. But it's an ongoing battle. It's my understanding that's life. You have to go low to get high. You can't have one with out the other. I had extremes of both.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lord Humungus said:

I was once depressed and self-destructive. What helps me is having a purpose in my work. And my faith. But it's an ongoing battle. It's my understanding that's life. You have to go low to get high. You can't have one with out the other. I had extremes of both.

Certainly. I've suffered mental health problems since childhood. 

I understand you have to go through the lows etc. 

But unfortunately I wasn't strong to realise that then. Sometimes that's just the thing.. 

It's good you've found purpose. I'm still looking for mine. I thought my purpose was in nursing care, but that pushed me deeper in the depression. Caring for amazing people to then prepare them before the funeral director. 

I know it's a morbid thought and death always fascinated me. I didn't mind it one bit. 

But something changed in me. Loss wasn't desensitised. It pushed me down a dark hole. 

I'm a loner by nature, so my only social life was work. 

1 hour ago, allymisfit said:

Have you looked into / used 5HTP and / or L-triptophan supplements ?
l use these and a friend of mine recently tried them and noticed an improved difference in their mood and outlook.
Best of luck
BC

• Thanks 2
Just now, Basket Case said:

Have you looked into / used 5HTP and / or L-triptophan supplements ?
l use these and a friend of mine recently tried them and noticed an improved difference in their mood and outlook.
Best of luck
BC

Hey BC :)

I tried the above with not much luck.. Sent me in to a manic rage that I couldn't control lol. 

I've tried so many supplements with no luck, only at the initial stages of taking them did I feel a difference, but that would have been the placebo effect.. 

However, I found Lion's Mane to help a bit. Kept me productive also. 

I didn't buy it again as it isn't cheap, but I might look into that again :) 

2 minutes ago, allymisfit said:

I tried the above with not much luck.. Sent me in to a manic rage that I couldn't control lol. 

Wow....it's supposed to help boost serotonin levels and aid relaxation and sleep.
Did you take it late evening / before sleep ?
Did you look into quantities and contra-interactions with anything else you're taking ?
l haven't heard of Lions Mane.....l'll take a look, thanks 😊