Bombadil

Familiar places seeming different on occasion

Posted (edited)

Hi  all. I was recently walking my dog through a nearby woods. I am very familiar with it and like to take random routes through. The reason for this Is that I love all nature, and actively seek to see something new. The reason I explained that is to highlight that I feel i know this area incredibly well.

A few days ago my experience was very different. I took my normal route to the woods, went in and let my dog off to go and explore. Very quickly an uneasy feeling came upon me. The wood seem very different to the extent that the trail I was taking seemed unfamiliar. Added to this I felt an urge to look behind me as though I was being followed. I last had feelings like  this as a small child afraid of the dark. My entire journey through the woods was like being in a completely new area altogether.
Maybe I’m just getting old or daft. I’m not easily scared or nervous and  I am happy in my own company.

Has anyone else experienced a usually familiar place seeming different. Anyone have ideas what’s going on if just my mind screwing with me.

Edited by Bombadil
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Bombadil  Maybe you had a flip through time or maybe you saw a familiarity through a dream you once had. Did your dog behave any different ?

• Like 1

Could be. If from a dream I don’t recall, but maybe will come to me one day.  What do you mean by a flip through time. Sounds interesting. I have only read of things relating to this more in a U.F.O, encounter type scenario.  Dog seemed the same but I don’t know how much I paid attention to him in regards to what happened. I have been looking through various books, sites to read about this sort of thing. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks for replying!

Hi, Ive never had an experience like you described at all but I wonder if its related to the deja vu experience but in reverse? The deja vu gives us a feeling of such familiarity that we think we have been there before, and it can be a bit unsettling too. But you described the opposite even tho you where in a familiar place on a track that you knew. very strange.

I think its called 'Jamais vu' - the illusion that the familiar does not seem familiar. 

Might not be tho, just my thoughts, the brain can do strange things 😉

• Like 2

Just read a small amount about jamais vu. First few searches on google.  I would say this describes quite well the experience I had. The problem for me with these sites becomes that any time you experience something unusual, it must be a mental health, anxiety problem. I’m not claiming that they’re  wrong on these sites but seems like really lazy and dismissive pseudo science.

Refreshing to have people here who are prepared to discuss anything with an open mind, who also make an effort to do research.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Bombadil said:

Hi  all. I was recently walking my dog through a nearby woods. I am very familiar with it and like to take random routes through. The reason for this Is that I love all nature, and actively seek to see something new. The reason I explained that is to highlight that I feel i know this area incredibly well.

A few days ago my experience was very different. I took my normal route to the woods, went in and let my dog off to go and explore. Very quickly an uneasy feeling came upon me. The wood seem very different to the extent that the trail I was taking seemed unfamiliar. Added to this I felt an urge to look behind me as though I was being followed. I last had feelings like  this as a small child afraid of the dark. My entire journey through the woods was like being in a completely new area altogether.
Maybe I’m just getting old or daft. I’m not easily scared or nervous and  I am happy in my own company.

Has anyone else experienced a usually familiar place seeming different. Anyone have ideas what’s going on if just my mind screwing with me.

I've just come across this post, and it has just reminded me of an experience I had just a few months ago.

I've lived in my current neighbourhood since August 2018, nearly two years now. So I'm pretty familiar with things round here.

A few months ago, I was travelling home from work - I'd got off the bus by the fire station in Billesley, and popped into one of the shops by there. From those shops its a short less than ten minute walk home, and I have a couple of routes I can use. I decided to continue along Yardley Wood Road and then on to Trittiford Road, but as I was walking down Yardley Wood Road, I had the strangest feeling that 'something was different'. Yet I could never figure out what it was that was 'different'.

Everything looked the same to me, but the feeling was there, something had changed, but I couldn't see what it was. I thought at first that somebody had removed a tree or large bush from their front garden. But when I got home and looked on Google Streetview - just to see if anything HAD changed - everything was shown just as I had seen it, even flicking through the 'historical' StreetView records from the previous year.

It was a really peculiar and 'weird' feeling, and I must admit it did really bother me at the time, because I couldn't put my finger on it. I walk along that same road most evenings if I stop off at the shops on my way home.

• Like 1

Totally understand. when going through my woods.since my experience everything has seemed normal. 
I remember reading something about this sort of thing in an episode of Fortean Times in the past but I never kept magazines.

Can anyone recommend a good book or site for these types of experience.

This sounds like a glimpse into another frequency or dimension. You may have been experiencing the energy of that place in the past, when there was more fear associated with forests. Luckily there’s an informative new thread about this, @Johndavid explains this type of phenomena better than I could in his thread David Icke on the REAL nature of reality.

These experiences may be becoming increasingly common now, as apparantly more light is surrounding us and our senses are being enhanced. It’s my understanding that dogs also have many more senses than us and these may include other dimensions, magnetic fields, energy etc. so he was probably happily familiar with any changes there!

If it happens again it would be interesting to explore your new surroundings for further clues. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I acknowledge that I have extremely poor navigation skills, but in spite of that, am absolutely adamant that some streets round me completely change location sometimes. Seriously, I mean roads that I'm very  familiar with. It makes me think of the moving staircase in Hogwarts.