The Future Of Social Media?

I have closed my facebook,  only have a twitter account under a pseudonym, I don't have instagram or any of the others.

I don't want to feed these corporations who censor anyone they’re not tracking down or  manipulating.

There seem to be quite a few alternatives rising up now but I'm growing kind of bored of social media anyway.

What will be the future for social media?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, shadowmoon said:

There seem to be quite a few alternatives rising up now but I'm growing kind of bored of social media anyway.

'Social media' used to just be a place to hang out with and catch up with friends.

I look at something like Facebook, and I see it trying to be 'the internet' - one place where you can do all the things you normally have to go to other websites for.

Facebook 'groups' - these have practically killed off discussion boards and forums

Facebook Messenger - seems to have killed off all the various messenger services that used to be out there

Facebook Video - trying to replace YouTube I guess

Facebook Shops - this has been around for a while but apparently they're making a big push on this now, encouraging retailers to list all their products for sale, perhaps trying to take on eBay, Amazon et al.

The idea is to keep people on the platform - presumably to target them with advertisng etc - so the more that they can do on the platform - ie video chat, check news stories, buy stuff - the longer they will stay logged in.

Its the centralisation of the internet. I wonder how many young people believe the 'internet' is just Facebook, Amazon, Google, eBay and Twitter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

'Social media' used to just be a place to hang out with and catch up with friends.

I look at something like Facebook, and I see it trying to be 'the internet' - one place where you can do all the things you normally have to go to other websites for.

Facebook 'groups' - these have practically killed off discussion boards and forums

Facebook Messenger - seems to have killed off all the various messenger services that used to be out there

Facebook Shops - this has been around for a while but apparently they're making a big push on this now, encouraging retailers to list all their products for sale, perhaps trying to take on eBay, Amazon et al.

The idea is to keep people on the platform - presumably to target them with advertisng etc - so the more that they can do on the platform - ie video chat, check news stories, buy stuff - the longer they will stay logged in.

Its the centralisation of the internet. I wonder how many young people believe the 'internet' is just Facebook, Amazon, Google, eBay and Twitter.

I use whatsapp and its now owned by.... facebook.

Used to use musician forums 20 years ago, but as you say they are like ghost towns now maybe 1-2 posts a day.

these companies have certainly dominated the internet, I remember when I first saw the net on tomorrows world.. "the information superhighway promises free sharing of information." or words to that effect. Hmm & it did for a little while only.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadowmoon said:

I use whatsapp and its now owned by.... facebook.

Used to use musician forums 20 years ago, but as you say they are like ghost towns now maybe 1-2 posts a day.

these companies have certainly dominated the internet, I remember when I first saw the net on tomorrows world.. "the information superhighway promises free sharing of information." or words to that effect. Hmm & it did for a little while only.

I remember when I first got 'the internet', I signed up with AOL, this was back in the day when you used to get those CDs with PC magazines.

They provided you with their own 'AOL browser' which gave you access to all AOL websites, including chat rooms and messenger.

It became almost a 'revelation' when I later found I could use other browsers, like Internet Explorer, to access loads of other websites on the internet.

But yes, those were the days, using a 56k modem on dial-up, and having to disconnect because mum or dad wanted to use the phone. ?

We seem to be heading back to those days again though, where 'they' just want general users to access the same handful of sites, in order to 'control the information'.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

I agree. Shame that most forums are gone or have very little activity these days. I think you are right it's about advertising, and also a convenient way for encouraging lefty wokery. 

The internet is a different plave to how it was in the late 1990s and early 2000s. It's not all bad though, as I have to say I like YouTube for discovering music, old films, documentaries etc.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Integrating it with the real world with augmented reality so there is zero privacy.

I can see it could go that way. Social media is certainly not going away any time soon, as all the youngsters are brought up with it, so it's such a part of their lives that it's normal to them ( unlike older people who remember a time when it didn't exist and heck even remember a time before there was no internet!).

Edited by itsnotallrightjack

• 7 months later...

Not sure.  I personally find social media horrible and prefer forums. But twitter and Facebook pretty much killed them off although I think there is a slight resurgence definitely with places like this. Sports forums are always quite full which is depressing really isn't it? 

In the 2000s I used to read yahoo answers quite a lot. I used to troll on there as well before trolling was cool :). 

I have downloaded gab and the layout is okay but haven't signed up and probably won't. Telegram I hear is popular.  But like alternatives to YouTube and video sharing platforms, they all seem to either be capitulating to censorship from outside forces before they even take off.

There is good content on brandnewtube but need to research who is running it. It will never take off or be popular because it is marketed for a certain type of people. Stuff you and I may like, but the wider public may not. So I'm skeptical. Not because we need to attract normies we don't but it is only marketing towards the alternative community. Which isn't bad. It's just not reaching a broader scope. Which is fine if that's what they are aiming for. I quite like conversing in a tribe. And I  like to watch Dr Coleman on brandnewtube. I watch icke on here. 

As for the future of places like Facebook and Twitter and the riches they have god only knows. 

Talking about messaging services OP. I did suggest before the hack could we have an irc server for communications. Old fashioned system now started in late 80s but I think it might be harder to censor. Not sure if anyone would use it these days I have considered brushing down my desktop sticking Linux on it and running my own IRC server from it to host for people on here to chat to if this was ever banned. However while we should be prepared we should not self hex. It shouldn't even be on the table or possible that this place doesn't exist because of outside influences. 

But again if It were to ever work, it would ideally need to be run on these servers with a 'chat' icon from JAVA attachment. And I don't think people here would be into chatrooms? And that's another topic. But as a backup, I may start one. Was a lot of fun back in the day. Easy to moderate, start your own chatrooms on the same server. 

Sadly I think I am just getting nostalgic. Times have probably changed now and the youngsters are different so there's no demand for it. Although I did download mirc the other day and was pleased that some of the networks are in the thousands but mainly inactive or computer programmer types. 

Sorry to go off on a tangent. 

This is a good video talking about different platforms. Some good insights and a positive vibe if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Fluke

9 minutes ago, Fluke said:

There is good content on brandnewtube but need to research who is running it. It will never take off or be popular because it is marketed for a certain type of people. Stuff you and I may like, but the wider public may not.

Good point. I think this is where Odysee could have an advantage. They have plenty of entertainment, lifestyle, and tech content, but also the more serious type of stuff.

Not sure who runs Odysee either though to be honest.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Good point. I think this is where Odysee could have an advantage. They have plenty of entertainment, lifestyle, and tech content, but also the more serious type of stuff.

Not sure who runs Odysee either though to be honest.

Odysee is part of LBRY, its basically a web browser app for viewing LBRY.tv content.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, shadowmoon said:

Death. Hopefully..

The centralization of the internet, which Owl mentions, is a horrible development. People are stuck in their little bubble and then they become snowflakes that can't handle the existence of other bubbles or people outside of a bubble.

2 minutes ago, Firebird said:

Death. Hopefully..

The centralization of the internet, which Owl mentions, is a horrible development. People are stuck in their little bubble and then they become snowflakes that can't handle the existence of other bubbles or people outside of a bubble.

Alex Jones has been saying for 10 or 20 years that they are going to active the internet kill switch at a time of their choosing. The guy has been right about basically everything in the last 20 years (all the major stuff anyway), so I don't doubt that either. Once they do, it will only come back - if it does at all - fully centralised and regulated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:59 AM, itsnotallrightjack said:

can see it could go that way. Social media is certainly not going away any time soon, as all the youngsters are brought up with it, so it's such a part of their lives that it's normal to them ( unlike older people who remember a time when it didn't exist and heck even remember a time before there was no internet!).

I hope you not trying to insinuate that I'm just an old bastard, I will have you know that's Grumpy old bastard mate🙄

• Haha 1

They (social media sites) are used to help herd the sheep. Without them, this "pandemic" would not be as successful. Nor would have rigged elections (not just a US problem).

They will get stronger, have an even wider reach. I can easily foresee a day when it will be required to join one. You'll be given choices, of course. Though, they'll all be owned by the same corporation, of course.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, KingKitty said:

They (social media sites) are used to help herd the sheep. Without them, this "pandemic" would not be as successful. Nor would have rigged elections (not just a US problem).

They will get stronger, have an even wider reach. I can easily foresee a day when it will be required to join one. You'll be given choices, of course. Though, they'll all be owned by the same corporation, of course.

Been watching Black Mirror haven't you? 😉

On 7/5/2020 at 4:22 PM, shadowmoon said:

i'm not so concerned about the future of social media. I'm more concerned about the future relationship of society and individuals  with truth

You can have all the platforms in the world but if you cannot freely speak without being punished then it won't be 'social media' that suffers it will be the ability of people to cultivate a relationship with truth that suffers

You just have to observe social media for a while to see that some people have an endless capacity for saying meaningless and empty things so the capacity to fill up the airwaves with meaningless claptrap will always be there

What may not always be there (unless we defend it) is the ability to say something true and meaningful

Edited by Macnamara

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

I remember having a Hi5 account back then and after that Myspace...and then we have never been the same since lol

Had a FB account since 2007 mostly for music/musician matters but finally closed it in July 2020.....well pretty much 1 year ago dead on.

Got to a point i couldn't do anything without having something prompting me or interrupting me about ''can't say this, can't say that'' covid this covid that....

Got blocked a few times for saying ''i believe this Wuhan thing is another Hoax attempt'' back in January 2020!

Edited by Simple Actions

On 4/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, KingKitty said:

citizen of google /?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

As long as we have the internet connection, who needs fakebook and twatter?

We make our own decentralised social media.

I've been researching and there are some up and coming ray of hope.

I don't know which one will going to flourish/perish but it's a start.

It seems that you will get paid to post as well.

‘Solcial’ Raises $2.9M to Build Censorship-Free Social Media

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/09/27/solcial-raises-29m-to-build-censorship-free-social-media-on-solana/

Grape 🍇

https://grapes.network/

How Sia and Skynet Are Building a Decentralized Internet for a Free Future

https://techblogwriter.co.uk/sia-and-skynet/

Decentralized Internet for a Free Future | Skynet

https://siasky.net/

I don't think we are talking about Elon's Skynet though. The name is rather unfortunate...sia.... Anyway.

@GarethIcke

On 7/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Integrating it with the real world with augmented reality so there is zero privacy.

This would be the big brother surveillance grid as in some parts of (China) the social crediting system is in full swing and chastising the free movement of some of it's targeted citizens would become held to ransom by the state, economic hostages unable to travel or vote.