Anxiety of long mask wearing

Stride

16 minutes ago, Stride said:

I need to take a trip on Saturday on public transport and don’t want to wear a mask. Is it possible to refuse? It makes me anxious thinking of being on a Hot train for two hours on wearing one.

Although a law has been passed to make wearing of face masks mandatory on public transport - Part 2 of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings on Public Transport) (England) Regulations 2020, there are plenty of exceptions to this including if the wearer has a medical condition which prevents them from wearing a mask, or if one cannot be worn due to a risk of harm.

Reasonable excuse

4.  For the purposes of regulation 3(1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include those where—

(a)P cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering—

(i)because of any physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability (within the meaning of section 6 of the Equality Act 2010(7)), or

(ii)without severe distress;

(b)P is travelling with, or providing assistance to, another person (“B”) and B relies on lip reading to communicate with P;

(c)P removes their face covering to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to themselves or others;

(d)P is travelling to avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and does not have a face covering with them;

(e)if it is reasonably necessary for P to eat or drink, P removes their face covering to eat or drink;

(f)P has to remove their face covering to take medication;

(g)a relevant person requests that P remove their face covering.

Anecdotally, people have been reporting that they are not being questioned by staff as to why they cannot wear one and no proof needs to be supplied. It seems to be enough to just say that you are "medically exempt".

I saw a post on FB from Simon Dolan (the man behind the lockdown Judicial Review challenge) advising people that, if they would feel anxious from wearing a face covering, simply don't wear it and, if challenged, say that under Part 2 Section 4(a) you are exempt as they cause you severe anxiety.

Some public transport providers offer "face covering exemption cards" so it may be worth checking with the train company if they have such a policy.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Wear a motorcycle crash helmet. Comfy for hours.

A full-face helmet will do the job nicely.

An open face helmet with a long visor would work too, mine is a Caberg.

If they insist on a face mask instead I have 2 leather ones, one made by Davida, the other by Bikers Paradise in Coventry.

Then I suppose you could buy a motorcycle to go with it! No need to go on the train then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scott Kirkland said:

I would think wearing a mask for long periods, Breathing back in some of the Carbon Dioxide you breathe out, would end up making you ill. I could be wrong.

You're not wrong. Even for short amounts of time it isn't healthy let alone for hours on end. 

8 hours ago, Stride said:

I need to take a trip on Saturday on public transport and don’t want to wear a mask. Is it possible to refuse? It makes me anxious thinking of being on a Hot train for two hours on wearing one.

There are exceptions, for medical reasons and one of these includes 'anxiety.'

Tell them you are having a panic attack or hyperventilating and there's nothing they can do to enforce it.

10 hours ago, Stride said:

I don't know about trains, but just get on board without one, and if anyone challenges you just say you're 'medically exempt', and if pressed further say you suffer from breathing difficulties and/or anxiety.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

I don't know about trains, but just get on board without one, and if anyone challenges you just say you're 'medically exempt', and if pressed further say you suffer from breathing difficulties and/or anxiety.

Yep, just say you have "Asthma".

3 hours ago, Velma said:

There are exceptions, for medical reasons and one of these includes 'anxiety.'

Tell them you are having a panic attack or hyperventilating and there's nothing they can do to enforce it.

Actually when someone is in panic attack/hyperventilating, CO2 is the remedy...believe it or not.

People usually cup their hands over their mouth and nose or breath into a paper bag for awhile to calm down.

Anyways, in case you haven't seen this video...

https://davidicke.com/2020/06/24/oxygen-test-with-and-without-a-mask-horrific-take-2-5-minutes-to-see-what-masks-are-doing-to-you-and-the-result-will-be-dubbed-covid-19/