The Importance of Beauty

EnigmaticWorld

I got the choice of a free Ubisoft game with the purchase of a Samsung 970 pro hard-drive.

I chose Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Haven't played it yet...... trying to finish Half Life Alyx in VR but I've got to the bit with Jeff (horrible blind mutant who vomits acid over you, no fun being subjected to that in VR) and am just too scared to continue playing so I'm kind of in gamer limbo now.

Edited by Truthspoon

1 minute ago, Truthspoon said:

I got the choice of a free Ubisoft game with the purchase of a Samsung 970 pro hard-drive.

I chose Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Haven't played it yet...... trying to finish Half Life Alyx in VR but I've got to the bit with Jeff and am just too scared to continue playing so I'm kind of in gamer limbo now.

Like most Ubisoft games these days, Odyssey has some wokeism that's a bit annoying, but you can choose to avoid most of it depending on what dialogue options you choose when talking to people. There's not that much BS though so it's not too bad.

I don't have VR, but I like Half-Life. I should check some gameplay out just see some of the story between Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

8 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Is this beauty? Does it always have to be a natural thing for it to count?

Well as discussed already in the thread, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People will all have different opinions on what they find to be beautiful, so I think the point is more about whether beauty is important to people in general.

Nice engineering though!

what we describe as beautiful has most of the time to do with sacred geometry - which all nature is created from

the more a human face is in the golden ratio - the more "beautiful the impression from it is

sacred geometryyy is also healing to watch 😊

Edited by Moonlight

6 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

what we describe as beautiful has most of the time to do with sacred geometry - which all nature is created from

the more a human face is in the golden ratio - the more "beautiful the impression from it is

sacred geometryyy is also healing to watch 😊

On 1/19/2021 at 5:19 PM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Yes, like the ancients, it's something I want to learn the art of. It's an uphill battle as maths and geometry was never my strongpoint. That's my weakpoint when it comes to programming too. I have been studying game development over the last few years, and I can make nice looking environments and add basic gameplay features, but the maths is still something that gives me a headache. I'm slowly enduring with it though, and I shall be where I want to be soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

I love it when you can get on a bus in Birmingham, travel to the outskirts, walk a short distance and see things like this:

IMG_20210904_160921.jpg.6163a8e218bd43a5b98e97cb788426b9.jpg

IMG_20210904_160325.jpg.dbaaa4ba3db289a588eaaa162274c307.jpg

Bartley Reservoir, Bartley Green. Not a bad little afternoon out, lovely tranquil place. This, to me at least, is what I consider beautiful.

Not sure where I would be without the countryside in the UK. The ancient public footpaths and bridleways that allow one to travel from county to county across majestic countryside safely and freely are great. I wonder how long they'll last as TPTB start to target the geenbelts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...