A LETTER TO GARETH ICKE

Finder

Can someone somewhere explain how theyve accessed private messages? Appreciate  lot going on but this is quite sinister and the part of the message that is removed on my  message thread was personal.  I dont care if the answer is "we dont know". Just blanking the question is getting upsetting. Can mods and staff see pm's? If  so fine. I'm ok with that but I'd like to know. Also. If someone has removed that for any reason I've not thought of (My family are fully aware of what it contained as it is part of my personal story that they know and live with) and my family are suggesting it might have been removed by staff to protect me. I absolutely do not think that is the case. But am letting you know the personal impact some of this hack has had. 

The message was between me and member truthspoon back in October when I was apologising for derailing one of his threads. Truthspoon has confirmed it is missing his end too

Edited by kj35

Also just for clarity it didn't contain anything I hadn't shared one way or another openly across multiple threads pre hack. But it has been PURPOSEFULLY removed. And whoever did it may not have known that.

Edited by kj35
Still getting mardy about grammar

On 5/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, Finder said:

The very purpose of the letter was to eliminate the already existing and still building up pressure. The purpose of the letter was to bring the much needed connection and interaction between the forum management and the forum members. What exactly is not appropriate with that? And in which way it is harmful?

Purpose not fulfilled in my opinion.

• Like 1

Finder said:

"The very purpose of the letter was to eliminate the already existing and still building up pressure. The purpose of the letter was to bring the much needed connection and interaction between the forum management and the forum members. What exactly is not appropriate with that? And in which way it is harmful?"

15 hours ago, KingPin said:

Purpose not fulfilled in my opinion.

Maybe not. Or maybe yes but to an extent. And my original thought and intention was misinterpreted and somewhat redirected some place else by some posters. But at least the info about the situation on our side was delivered to those in charge and they replied. I haven't found any comprehensive reply from the management on any other thread where the same or similar questions were asked. Also, I know Gareth now periodically visits this thread. So, other members may find it practical to post their relevant to the current situation questions to Gareth instead of dropping them across all irrelevant threads whenever another glitch or lack of action and info from the management is affecting their forum experience in a negative way.

The point is, you and everyone else on the forum is just as important as the forum management. The management contribute tech functionality while we (excluding @ink & Mitochondrial Eve) contribute the content. There must be an easy, two way communication, always available to both parties where both parties value and appreciate the importance of each other and are willing to take appropriate actions to keep the forum functional. And if one party fails to do so or disappears without notification it just creates another problem.

P.S. Editing of the post and posting once again encountered massive but now usual every day tech issues. Couldn't insert @Mit.Eve)

Edited by Finder

2 hours ago, kj35 said:

Also just for clarity it didn't contain anything I hadn't shared one way or another openly across multiple threads pre hack. But it has been PURPOSEFULLY removed. And whoever did it may not have known that.

Also is it just me. Have others checked theirs.? Did I delete it months ago in a wine induced haze and forgotten? I'm ruling nothing out

37 minutes ago, screamingeagle said:

admins can if they wish.....if Garteh did such thing(delete) PMs he would let you know

Thank you.  So they had Jaymie's access which presumably includes the same admin access? 

Edited by kj35

8 minutes ago, Basket Case said:

The same Truthspoon who had a whatsapp conversation with the hacker and hasn't explained how or why yet ?

I don't think he has anything to do with it.  At all.

That night when the hacker was on got weird quickly and I was glad truthspoon was there.

We've all wondered all sorts during this. was trying to keep my post open and clear. It's easy to get paranoid.

I am only worried about what happened with my data. And if I can't clear that up then I'll need to leave the forum and I don't want to do that.

Now I know admins can access Pm's and that they had Jaymie's access am happy to wait until the admins have got time to make sure I didn't do this myself in some idiotic manner as I am sure this sort of thing is time stamped.

Edited by kj35
Trying to be clear

1 hour ago, kj35 said:

Ok am going to assume then the hackers did indeed delete it. Or copy it. 

he could do what ever he wanted ie delete the forum....

1 hour ago, kj35 said:

This is a concern 

i don't understand 

i see no benefit for the hacker to hack members acc(he can't do anything) it is much easyer to just register 

1 hour ago, screamingeagle said:

he could do what ever he wanted ie delete the forum....

i don't understand 

i see no benefit for the hacker to hack members acc(he can't do anything) it is much easyer to just register 

Neither do I. Which is why i sound like a paranoid git to everyone I am sure.

Ink has mentioned elsewhere that he has seen parts of his data being deleted too.

This sounds like  the sort of thing jumprogue used to do? I sort of joined after that i think. It might be best if I just delete my account And rejoin later maybe once every thing is settled.  Adderall abuse stuck my kj35 on YouTube with others so might be best anyway. 

1 hour ago, kj35 said:

Now I know admins can access Pm's and that they had Jaymie's access am happy to wait until the admins have got time to make sure I didn't do this myself in some idiotic manner as I am sure this sort of thing is time stamped.

From my own experience of administering and moderating forums (and other similar systems) in the past and present, admins and mods do not have the capability to read or view members private messages (with the exception of those messages that get 'reported' to admins).

I can't speak for this Invision Community software, as I've only used it as a 'regular member', but I doubt this system would operate any differently.

The only way I can see that private messages could be read or deleted would be at the database level, which a hacker could do using some kind of malicious SQL script.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

From my own experience of administering and moderating forums (and other similar systems) in the past and present, admins and mods do not have the capability to read or view members private messages (with the exception of those messages that get 'reported' to admins).

I can't speak for this Invision Community software, as I've only used it as a 'regular member', but I doubt this system would operate any differently.

The only way I can see that private messages could be read or deleted would be at the database level, which a hacker could do using some kind of malicious SQL script.

But as screaming says whats the point? If it were just the one thing I'd write it off as I've accidentally deleted it at some point. But that is not all that is gone.  

Let's leave it until the new forum launch tomorrow.  Perhaps that will come with news as to who or what the Ickes think is behind the general hack, rather than us chasing our tails and speculating.

Sorry. I'm just a bit weirded out with it. 

Edited by kj35

On 20 May, topic "Update" @inkwhile replying to numnuts comment that read:  "any 'guesswork' (about the possibility for the half functional forum to be fixed) appreciated"

To which Ink says:

“Down to the 'webmaster' mate .... I don't know :(

The damage done was much more than was first thought!” (Ink exercised his right, as an individual, to say what he did).

On 24 May Finder in his post designed for Gareth says literally the following:

"We do realise the recent hacking of the forum has brought Gareth, David, the mods and the webmaster more troubles than was expected." 

How is this statement not a confirmation and a rephrasing of what Ink said in his statement above?

On 28 May, on this thread, Ink declared in his response to Finder:

"I didn't agree that you would 'talk' for me….Thus you were incorrect to use 'we' .... it should have just been from you."

…Turns out it was from both of us. But I hereby declare that from now on you are officially and permanently excluded from all and any of my statements about anything whenever any collective pronoun is used. Better now?

This is how PC nonsense most probably began. It would be a shame if we start implementing such nonsense on this forum too.

I’ll tell you this Ink. Although you and everyone else here are certainly entitled to say and think whatever the hell they want or find appropriate, as long as it is not abusive and is truthful, i.e., fact supported, do keep in mind that:

Ungrounded and unsupported by verifiable evidence accusations directed at me will be dismantled. New ungrounded accusations will be dismantled again. If you accuse me of anything, e.g. attacking another member, either present me with evidence or it didn’t happen.

Edited by Finder

15 hours ago, Basket Case said:

ls this video still live ?
Can you PM me a link please ?
Thanks 

This video is still alive. And readable (interestingly, not random) posts of the 13 members of our forum are displayed there. One member is displayed twice. I think, as a retaliation for censorship of DI on youtube, it will only be appropriate if DI team contact the damn youtube drone management and demand they remove this video, for all obvious reasons and for violation of everything.

2 minutes ago, Finder said:

This video is still alive. And readable (interestingly, not random) posts of the 13 members of our forum are displayed there. One member is displayed twice. I think, as a retaliation for censorship of DI on youtube, it will only be appropriate if DI team contact the damn youtube drone management and demand they remove this video, for all obvious reasons and for violation of everything.

l was PMd a video.
l found a second one on the same account.
lt wasn't on youtube.
ls there one on there too ?
l can send you both links.

You got it from someone who got it from me. The vid is on youtube too, what you have is just a different player without youtube ads and the rest of their crap. Replace the full domain name with youtube full domain, leave the rest and you'll see it on youtube too. Yes, there are 2 videos, both made as a proof of the hack. They serve a number of purposes actually.

Edited by Finder

I trust ink more than anyone else on this forum. And did not agree to a letter on my behalf. I do however thank you for alerting me to the video.

I'm signing out of here until things get clarified once and for all.

15 hours ago, kj35 said:

I trust ink more than anyone else on this forum. And did not agree to a letter on my behalf. I do however thank you for alerting me to the video.

I'm signing out of here until things get clarified once and for all.

The fact that it is written and posted does not, in any way, force anyone to agree with it. Nor does it imply that everyone is automatically in agreement with it. If and when someone is, they indicate it. And if they are not, they dismiss it. I do not agree with a lot of things that other members post here. So what? I leave them where they are. There are a few things Ink has said or indirectly expressed that are in complete and total opposition to where I stand. Does that mean I have to alert him to it every time? This is ludicrous! I trust him on certain site management actions but that does not imply that I automatically approve of or agree with everything else he says and does elsewhere. I don't agree with your positions on a number of things too, so what? You can practice them in your reality, I am more than fine with it. If I am really driven, for a good reason, to highlight my disagreement with sth or someone, I will.

I am seriously beginning to suspect that some complaining members are simply glorifying the management or putting them on some sort of pedestal and afraid to appear ungrateful in the eyes of Gareth and David. Like I said before, I think they are as valuable as anybody else here. And if anyone from the complaining side fails to see their own value, that's your own problem guys, not mine. Remember that. I notice both, the achievements of the DI management team and their mistakes. If you are afraid to disappoint them, how can you have a clear undistorted vision of them, DI including? If you modify your behaviour in a way so they always approve of you, how can you be fully you? You will be someone else for them. And how can they be able to fully receive you as you are if they only accept the parts of you that are pleasing to them or in agreement with some of their points of view? I am not at all surprised that this situation has manifested globally as a supreme in its idiocy global mask show under the guise of a virus that nobody can identify. Well, I guess I have just given you a hint.

Edited by Finder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finder said:

You got it from someone who got it from me. The vid is on youtube too, what you have is just a different player without youtube ads and the rest of their crap. Replace the full domain name with youtube full domain, leave the rest and you'll see it on youtube too. Yes, there are 2 videos, both made as a proof of the hack. They serve a number of purposes actually.

Thanks