A new tech thread

On 7/11/2021 at 2:14 AM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Quantum Computing-as-a-Service (QCaaS) platform launches in UK
https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/quantum-computing-service-qcaas-platform-launches-uk

Thanks for this. I'm always interested in real world reports of vapourware.

So I delved into this and when I strip away the sales spiel - QCaaS is a very grand name for something which is in reality very experimental and with just one potential real world application so far, the generation of cryptographic keys. The tech world loves marketing bullshit don't they...

9 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

So far as I know, Tor maintains cookies for each browsing session. So some cookie details such as OS etc will be reported to the visited site in the normal way. So the evil data raping machinery of google will identify the new OS used and as you were signed in knows your email address.

Tor is not a privacy silver bullet and if you care about privacy, stay off of youtube and NEVER sign in using your regular email address. You can normally get to youtube vids from the duckduckgo video results page without signing in.

However, key aspects of your identity will change for each new TOR circuit/identity so they cannot aggregate your viewing across sessions.

Edited by Daithi
missed a word

1 minute ago, Daithi said:

So far as I know, Tor maintains cookies for each browsing session. So some cookie details such as OS etc will be reported to the visited site in the normal way. So the evil data raping machinery of google will identify the new OS used and as you were signed in knows your email address.

Tor is not a privacy silver bullet and if you care about privacy, stay off of youtube and NEVER sign in using your regular email address. You can normally get to youtube vids from the duckduckgo video without signing in.

However, key aspects of your identity will change for each new TOR circuit/identity so they cannot aggregate your viewing across sessions.

No likes left, but good tips.

I personally don't sign in to Youtube, and even those vids that want you to sign in for age verification, I use some workaround.

54 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

No likes left, but good tips.

I personally don't sign in to Youtube, and even those vids that want you to sign in for age verification, I use some workaround.

There are plenty of other cookie nasties that are absolutely everywhere

- google tag manager cookies - even on davidicke.com 🙄

- google reCAPTCHA

- social media buttons

Duckduckgo privacy essentials and other privacy focused browsers/addins do a good job of blocking these little cookie shits

davidicketrackers.png

Edited by Daithi
add img/update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

ghfghfhg.jpg.a91e7cbf5192327578851576a8471dfa.jpg

I have seen this a lot too over the last few days. I'm guessing alternative sites are getting attacked hard.

I get this a lot too. It's Google reCAPTCHA which is detecting that you are using a VPN or some kind of privacy tech like TOR and then blocking you until you do the stupid intelligence puzzle to prove you're human.

It's arguably a way to stop hackers attacking websites but also stops privacy aware users from accessing websites completely anonymously too because each page on each site visited with reCAPTCHA is tracked by google 🤔 - more and more sites are using it now.

I hate reCAPTCHA with a passion because it's one of the ways that tech giants get to kill web privacy.

I wish website owners wouldn't keep stuffing Google tech onto their pages and mindlessly destroy full privacy at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daithi said:

I get this a lot too. It's Google reCAPTCHA which is detecting that you are using a VPN or some kind of privacy tech like TOR and then blocking you until you do the stupid intelligence puzzle to prove you're human.

It's arguably a way to stop hackers attacking websites but also stops privacy aware users from accessing websites completely anonymously too because each page on each site visited with reCAPTCHA is tracked by google 🤔 - more and more sites are using it now.

I hate reCAPTCHA with a passion because it's one of the ways that tech giants get to kill web privacy.

I wish website owners wouldn't keep stuffing Google tech onto their pages and mindlessly destroy full privacy at the same time.

Yep, and I assume it gets people to train their algorithms for them

• Like 1

Just now, EnigmaticWorld said:

Yep, and I assume it gets people to train their algorithms for them

Exactly. Thanks for your posts here by the way, excellent stuff that is really helpful in my ongoing research of tech

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Quantum Computing on a Chip: Brace for the Revolution
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/quantum-computing-cambridge-riverland

Apologies for spamming quantum links with replies recently. But I don't think we are looking at this subject honestly and clearly, as a species, so I'm on a mission!

The sub headline on this article says it all for me: "The development is being compared to the desktop computing system revolution of the 1960's"

Computers, quantum or classical have very useful aspects. But again we have the tsunami of bullshit marketing telling us over and over that it has and will continue to revolutionise all aspects of being a human.

Yet, lift the lid, look at what this computer stuff is, look at what it actually delivers against the promises - and see if you agree with me that we are in the midst of one of the greatest frauds ever orchestrated. Bill Gates is the original culprit.

The universe imposes very severe physical limitations on what is possible with these calculating/guestimating machines. For example, quantum computing is not ever going to be realised at a revolutionary level, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-cloning_theorem

We are going to try our feeble best to harness the quantum magic and the result is going to be super expensive hardware, riddled with flakiness that we hack around as best we can, be appalling for the environment due to the vast amounts of energy it consumes, made by slaves, run software developed by slaves.

Gauged against the original promises, quantum computing will fail miserably to deliver on any of them completely. Some promises will be accomplished to a level between 1% and 80% and the rest will quietly die as the controlled narrative around the rollout changes as the Winston Smiths of the tech press rewrite big brothers earlier targets to reflect the piss poor reality of the future day.

6 minutes ago, Daithi said:

Apologies for spamming quantum links with replies recently. But I don't think we are looking at this subject honestly and clearly, as a species, so I'm on a mission!

The sub headline on this article says it all for me: "The development is being compared to the desktop computing system revolution of the 1960's"

Computers, quantum or classical have very useful aspects. But again we have the tsunami of bullshit marketing telling us over and over that it has and will continue to revolutionise all aspects of being a human.

Yet, lift the lid, look at what this computer stuff is, look at what it actually delivers against the promises - and see if you agree with me that we are in the midst of one of the greatest frauds ever orchestrated. Bill Gates is the original culprit.

The universe imposes very severe physical limitations on what is possible with these calculating/guestimating machines. For example, quantum computing is not ever going to be realised at a revolutionary level, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-cloning_theorem

We are going to try our feeble best to harness the quantum magic and the result is going to be super expensive hardware, riddled with flakiness that we hack around as best we can, be appalling for the environment due to the vast amounts of energy it consumes, made by slaves, run software developed by slaves.

Gauged against the original promises, quantum computing will fail miserably to deliver on any of them completely. Some promises will be accomplished to a level between 1% and 80% and the rest will quietly die as the controlled narrative around the rollout changes as the Winston Smiths of the tech press rewrite big brothers earlier targets to reflect the piss poor reality of the future day.

No need to apologize. I'm not knowledgable in that field enough to have an opinion, but I appreciate your views. I understand the limitations with traditional chips, but not quantum tech.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

No need to apologize. I'm not knowledgable in that field enough to have an opinion, but I appreciate your views. I understand the limitations with traditional chips, but not quantum tech.

I''m definitely not a quantum expert either. As one great physicist said

feynman.jpeg

2 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

A throwback article, but still interesting.

1626332769994.jpg.164b02fd0be9ac5875edc23a571ed3cd.jpg

Is the author of that research from the branch of science that can identify you as having an infectious coronavirus pathogen. You know, it identifies an arbitrary genome sequence generated by a computer program. All hail Christian Drosten.

Or actually, the esteemed professor might be in the camp of data crunchers who can model the spread of viral nasties using their amazing computer programs. You know, the heroes who saved the lives of countless millions last years. All hail Neil Ferguson.

What a marvel this reported research is. This genius has written a data cruncher that finds patterns in the chaos with absolute certainty. He knows this because he is clever and uses big scary tech words like artificial intelligence and algorithms, so one last big hail to Michal Kosinski.

Wow good times to be alive when these geniuses have their clever hands of the tiller of the good ship called 21st humanity.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

US Charges Greek Man of Selling Insider Trading Tips on Dark Web
https://greekreporter.com/2021/07/13/greek-man-charged-selling-tips-dark-web/

The question in my mind is how have they caught him? I reckon bitcoin might be part of it. Maybe they sent a transaction to his wallet and then tracked it through the transaction chain until he withdrew it from a centralised exchange as dollars or euros etc.

I hope the fundamental integrity of the dark web is intact. But assuming that all users of the dark web are not law enforcement etc is not a smart move.

• Like 1

• lake pinned this topic