The Flat Earth/Globe Earth Discussion Thread

bflat

38 minutes ago, Basket Case said:

The lower they are in the sky the more they are magnified by the fact that you're looking at them through more (longer) atmosphere..?

Correct, the less atmosphere you look through ,the less distortion

Edited by peter

2 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

I will disagree with this point, only on the basis of my own observations.

The Sun would appear to me to seem larger in the sky just after sunrise and just before sunset, dependent on cloud and weather conditions of course. I have always attributed this to 'refraction' though. In much the same way that a 'full moon' always seems to look 'huge' just after moonrise and just before moonset. (otherwise what they call a 'supermoon').

They (sun and moon) don't look like to me that they are getting closer or further away.

This is an optical illusion. The size doesn't change.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/why-does-the-moon-look-so-huge-on-the-horizon#.UkQ3Y99hKa4

2 hours ago, Basket Case said:

The lower they are in the sky the more they are magnified by the fact that you're looking at them through more (longer) atmosphere..?
BC

No. There is no magnification. What this denser atmosphere does is significant refraction. The Sun has actually set when the whole Sun bottom just touches the horizon. Refraction bends the rays around half a degree in the case of the Sun, the angular distance it occupies.

Guest Gone Fishing...
1 hour ago, Solasta said:

No. There is no magnification. What this denser atmosphere does is significant refraction. The Sun has actually set when the whole Sun bottom just touches the horizon. Refraction bends the rays around half a degree in the case of the Sun, the angular distance it occupies.

I am aware of this phenomenon. It works with the Sun rise too but the other way around. 

BC 

Guest Gone Fishing...
1 hour ago, Solasta said:

I'm finding it hard to get my head around this after believing that it was magnified by the fact that it's viewed through more atmosphere. 

I looked and measured the 2 lines in the article and yes they look very different but are indeed the same length. 

I'm finding it hard to convert that over to the Sun and the Moon. 

In the Summer I often go out for a drive down to the South Coast just outside Brighton on the South Downs to watch the Sun go down. 

It looks bloody huge as it disappears behind the Westerly Downs. 

Bigger than during the day. 

I have to reflect on this and find a way to actually measure it. 

Any suggestions..? 

BC 

Guest Gone Fishing...
11 hours ago, Solasta said:

My goodness... 

I managed to sit through this. 

I was cringing through the whole hour and a half :0(

No facts or figures - just FE personalities jerking each other off. 

Comes across as a Cult IMO. 

This is actually on Netflix???? 

Says a lot. 

(I downloaded it) 

An FE book is shown on a book shelf full of every possible Conspiracy ever, right next to one on 'Reptilians' - a surreptitious dig at David Icke ? 

I lost count of the times of the use of the term 'Anti-Vaxxer'. Yeah, rope in every 'bogeyman' in one big slur.. 

This is a total 'Psy-Op in my opinion presented on a Silver Plater for the Netflix and Chill Generation. 

It mentions several tactics of defending FE that I clearly recognise in this very thread. 

There's more but I think I've said enough watched enough and thought enough about this turgid 'documentary already... 

BC 

2 hours ago, Basket Case said:

My goodness... 

This is actually on Netflix???? 

Says a lot. 

(I downloaded it) 

An FE book is shown on a book shelf full of every possible Conspiracy ever, right next to one on 'Reptilians' - a surreptitious dig at David Icke ? 

I lost count of the times of the use of the term 'Anti-Vaxxer'. Yeah, rope in every 'bogeyman' in one big slur.. 

This is a total 'Psy-Op in my opinion presented on a Silver Plater for the Netflix and Chill Generation. 

It mentions several tactics of defending FE that I clearly recognise in this very thread. 

There's more but I think I've said enough watched enough and thought enough about this turgid 'documentary already... 

BC 

I managed 20 min, its the first vid I've watched either for or against ,it's just a back slapping fest for the Fe crowd ,I could elaborate and tell you what I really think  but I already have one warning point. Suffice to say I few here would fit right in

Edited by peter

13 hours ago, Basket Case said:

You're not seeing the actual crater - you're seeing the highlands around the crater and the straight lines radiating out and around the highlands.

oh ffs,  😅

if i say i can see a mountain i do not mean i can see a specific rock sat on its slopes

i can see the claimed 53 mile diameter crater and so can anyone if they look

Edited by zArk

12 hours ago, Solasta said:

Pulling teeth. Answer these please, simple yes or no will suffice.

1. When you extend your thumb(thumbs up), does the tip completely block the Moon?

2. Is this picture accurately depicting Tycho?

a picture is completely different to ones own experience of seeing in the moment

3. The Moon is 2,159 miles in diameter, Tycho is 53 miles in diameter. 2.5% of the visible sphere. Is that accurate?

thats what the Helio model says

If you were looking at the full moon and held a coin out at arms length, which coin would be roughly similar in size to the apparent size of the moon? What would you answer? The most popular answers are 2p and 10p. Some opt for 5p. In fact it's a bit of a trick question. There are no coins small enough to be the same apparent size as the moon when held at arm's length. The nearest approximation is a hole punch hole. If you hold a piece of punched paper out at arms length, that little hole is about the same size as the moon appears to be."

Basically the Moon, 1/2 degree of the sky is equivalent to a hole punch in a paper at arms length! And Tycho is 2.5% of that hole punch at arms length. You are talking total bollocks and I just proved it beyond question.

depends upon the day, the moon changes size.

depends how long my arm is

depends upon the angle in the sky

depends , depends, depends

I failed to see how any of that hogwash helps your daft claims. No scientist would ever say that. What they would say is quite correctly that the Moon is at a point in time, calculated by the use of gravity(!) where it is at its closest point to us.

There is substantial variation in its size viewed from Earth - 14%

and yet you argue about the Sun size????

9 hours ago, Basket Case said:

I'm finding it hard to get my head around this after believing that it was magnified by the fact that it's viewed through more atmosphere. 

I looked and measured the 2 lines in the article and yes they look very different but are indeed the same length. 

I'm finding it hard to convert that over to the Sun and the Moon. 

In the Summer I often go out for a drive down to the South Coast just outside Brighton on the South Downs to watch the Sun go down. 

It looks bloody huge as it disappears behind the Westerly Downs. 

Bigger than during the day. 

I have to reflect on this and find a way to actually measure it. 

Any suggestions..? 

BC 

That is the nature of an optical illusion I'm afraid.

WHY DO THE SUN AND MOON LOOK BIGGER WHEN THEY ARE NEAR THE HORIZON? (theweatherprediction.com)

9 hours ago, Basket Case said:

My goodness... 

There's more but I think I've said enough watched enough and thought enough about this turgid 'documentary already... BC 

Hells bells, I genuinely thought that page had a link to the small segment in question. I haven't even watched that film so wasn't asking you to watch the whole thing. Sorry.

3 hours ago, zArk said:

oh ffs,  😅

if i say i can see a mountain i do not mean i can see a specific rock sat on its slopes

i can see the claimed 53 mile diameter crater and so can anyone if they look

You can "oh ffs" all you like, but you refused to answer the simple questions deliberately so you can continue to posture on this debunked nonsense. The Crater is 2.5% of the diameter of the Moon. The width when viewed by eye equates to a paper hole punch at arms length. It is a teeny weeny dot less than the smallest of pin pricks. 

You're done - this is fully debunked and your continued insistence is just more embarrassment for you.

Edited by Solasta

Guest Gone Fishing...
12 minutes ago, Solasta said:

Hells bells, I genuinely thought that page had a link to the small segment in question. I haven't even watched that film so wasn't asking you to watch the whole thing. Sorry.

I decided to download it and watch the whole thing. 

Painful, but enlightening in many ways. 

It's good to be aware of what's being pushed by Mainstream Netflix. 

BC 

3 hours ago, BlueSky said:

The first thing that came to mind about a FE documentary on Netflix would be piss take.

Yep, it took the piss out of flat earthers. Notice none of them have commented on the actual material though, says everything about them. The ones on the show were surprised but:

"Despite further experimental refinements, Knodel's gyroscope consistently behaves as if the Earth is round. Yet Knodel's beliefs seem unchanged when discussing the experiment at a Flat Earth meetup in Denver. "We don't want to blow this, you know? When you've got $20,000 in this freaking gyro. If we dumped what we found right now, it would be bad. It would be bad. What I just told you was confidential," Knodel says to another Flat Earther in attendance. "

3 hours ago, zArk said:

a picture is completely different to ones own experience of seeing in the moment

thats what the Helio model says

depends upon the day, the moon changes size.

depends how long my arm is

depends upon the angle in the sky

depends , depends, depends

What utter nonsense. The difference between your arm and the shortest or longest would make a tiny difference to the perceived viewable size. There is NO "depends", the angle or time make no difference, the Moon's size never changes much. We've seen it get 14% bigger to the naked eye but when you are talking about an object the size of the hole punch, that isn't much!

Yes, that's what reality/heliocentric model shows which is what we are examining - that is the whole point. How can you not understand this?

3 hours ago, zArk said:

and yet you argue about the Sun size????

You pointing out the difference in Moon sizes caused by its elliptic orbit does not help your crazy flat earth claim. Me arguing that the Sun never changes size no matter how near and far to the observer most certainly does help my claim that we are orbiting the bleedin' thing.

Where is your sensible explanation for this, or the Moon? How can you maintain a flat earth position when every single observation of the heavens shows it to be bollocks?

Edited by Solasta

1 hour ago, alexa said:

Gravity is just a theory, density is a fact.

And? I dare you to argue this properly with me. Are you suggesting that density is what makes things fall downwards?

I'll start, why do things fall down in the first place?

Why do they still fall down at the same acceleration half way up Everest where it is 1/2 as dense?

Why do things actually accelerate?

Gravity is not "just" a theory. It is a firmly established effect that governs the motion of everything we view in the sky, the behaviour of all objects on the surface, in the air or in the water.

Edited by Solasta

35 minutes ago, alexa said:

Why there is no such things as satellites;

Because people close their eyes, put their fingers over their ears and sing "lalalalalala I can't hear you"!

Because they are either not smart enough to understand basics proving they most certainly exist, see the astonishing numbers of people involved in their development, the numbers of people across many countries involved in their deployment and the massive numbers who routinely collect data from them - or - they wilfully refuse to acknowledge any of it.

35 minutes ago, alexa said:

Aether-The-5th-Element

So you not only exchange reality with Biblical nonsense you also entertain stuff simply because it tickles your imagination. I find it ironic that the Michelson-Morley experiment is erroneously used to suggest a flat Earth when it was used to debunk the existence of the aether. It's a totally different subject and one that I really cannot be bothered to go through.

The Christian Rationalist: The Aether

30 minutes ago, Solasta said:

Yep, it took the piss out of flat earthers. Notice none of them have commented on the actual material though, says everything about them. 

Why would anyone want to spent one & a half hours watching something from controlled opposition. 

Edited by Basket Case
Shit stirring
  • Like 1

• Guest changed the title to The Flat Earth/Globe Earth Discussion Thread
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Guest unlocked this topic
  • Grumpy Owl unpinned this topic
  • Grumpy Owl pinned this topic
  • Guest unlocked and unpinned this topic
  • Guest locked and unlocked this topic