Coronavirus Mega-Thread.

numnuts

Message added by Grumpy Owl,

This topic is for all general discussion regarding the current COVID-19 pandemic. There are of course numerous other related topics for discussing specific aspects of this pandemic in more detail. And there are other parts of this forum for more 'off-topic' discussions.

A Democracy has no laws, only guidelines. For a Democracy is mob rule, the majority decides fate. If the majority decide someone should be locked up or a constitution hung for reasons agreed upon by the majority, then the law is broken and laws as in nature can not be broken, only rules can.

Now ask yourself... Who rules the Mob?

Democracies have been quicker to abuse and corrupt than any Monarchy, and the Universe, my child, is a Monarchy.

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

I'm saying individualism taken to the extreme is problematic. When you tell every European not to see themselves as a group while allowing others to collectivize, it doesn't surprise me that we're being plundered.

Edit: Not saying other groups aren't being destroyed in other ways though.

i'm saying that individualism hasnt been taken to an extreme. I believe it to be the opposite.

It was conflated with groupthink where notions of equaiity and such were floated as the balance, thus negating the individual.

If you do not have individual rights then you are a slave.

I think individualism has been taken to the extreme. If you see it in term of the expression of Ego then certainly we have seen individualism expressed to the highest degrees. But in societal terms only the upper classes have the freedom and thus sovereignty to be individual.

Commoners are so common to the elite, that by this very nature they have always seem us as an indivisible group to be ruled en masse. We've always just been numbers to them, except of course when Hillary Clinton individually names victims of Trumps insults... Then we are individuals to them.

Edited by Prometheus

The danger we face today, however, is that some people have lost patience with the rule of law and yearn for a purer form of democracy. This is what populist parties—left, right and centre—all promise.

They tell the electorate that the only reason governments don’t give them exactly what they want is that the political elites are in cahoots to defend their own interests and those of whom they rely on to maintain power. All talk of “rule of law” or “balancing competing interests” is just a smokescreen for not doing what the people demand.

So when populists argue that they offer a return to a purer form of democracy, they are in a sense right. However, Aristotle would caution that when you opt for this kind of democracy what you often get is demagoguery instead: an all-powerful leader who imposes their will without restraint, empowered by a supposed mandate from the people.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/philosophy/aristotles-thinking-on-democracy-has-more-relevance-than-ever

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

While that is true, hyperindividualism got us in this mess. It takes a collective effort to ensure the rights of the individual.

Takes 12 peeps as a jury /tribunal to reify ancient unwritten custom

9 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

I think individualism has been taken to the extreme. If you see it in term of the expression of Ego then certainly we have seen individualism expressed to the highest degrees. But in societal terms only the upper classes have the freedom and thus sovereignty to be individual.

Sovereignty Vs ego individualism

European populist parties show the same disregard for the rule of law, arguing that nations can and should unilaterally tear up legally-binding transnational agreements if that is what the people demand. In many countries, this unimpeded democracy is proving to be disturbingly popular.

Vladimir Putin’s popularity in Russia is in part because of, rather than in spite of, his disregard for the rule of law, which is seen as simply obstructing the muscular implementation of the popular will. In Hungary, Viktor Orbán’s disregard for constitutional constraints and processes is considered a source of strength. His phrase “illiberal democracy” is as good a name as any for the form of government Aristotle warned against.

Some on the hard left also have little time for the rule of law when they demand the instant denationalisation of railways or the “clamping down” on excessive corporate profits. There are ways of doing both that follow due process but many are not interested in what they see as such niceties. Yet in a functioning state, businesses, like individuals, need to be able to trust that the rules of the game will not be changed by decree overnight because a government announces that “the people” demand it.

The greatest example of the rise of degenerative democracy is, of course, Donald Trump. Trump has no concern at all for the international rule of law and often, it seems, none for the national either. His campaign promise to have Hilary Clinton locked up if he won was classic example of democratic demagoguery.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/philosophy/aristotles-thinking-on-democracy-has-more-relevance-than-ever

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

I agree. I just differ on how you secure individual rights, it's cool though.

I agree there are many nuances to how best solve social issues. Seems to be the greatest challenge of our times and as mentioned repeatedly - Its an "information war"

And educate your kids at home too. Surely someones Mum or Dad can teach a few families kids and maybe even different parents for different subjects.

Think, 1960's hippie commune.

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

So how can we save democracy?I

One major challenge is to persuade the electorate that the constitutional obstacles that stand between the expression of the people’s will and its enacting are actually the best protection we have against the tyranny of the many over the few, or of leaders who claim to represent all while really standing only for themselves... That and a well funded Militia.

Edited by Prometheus

The liberal sense of morality is so infantile and simplisticly binary that it allows the simple minded to understand and express confidently its defined virtues whilst recognising and attacking its simply defined enemies.

It allows the young to overlook any nuance or overlap and divine their morals as simply black and white.

Left-wing Liberalism as Lenin said 'Is an infantile disorder'.

Edited by Prometheus

I just thought that this might be the least complicated summer for the forseeable future.

Now many people are "vaxxed", numbers will go higher by themself over a period of years, which is all they need to justify their ends.

What was a pretty crazy effort in the first year (2020) to get people under the needle, will now be a walk in the park, because you do not even have to fake cases anymore. The only thing you need to brush under the carpet is that these people that get ill got "vaxxed". Thats it.

Edited by Michael

45 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

The danger we face today, however, is that some people have lost patience with the rule of law and yearn for a purer form of democracy.

Lost patience due to lack of faith...

All part of the demoralisation plan.

image.png.1997f6ca15a55fc103aaec2bd74199af.png

image.jpeg.3b6c1a4b0354f653c30ad2275ad8161e.jpeg

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/eu_collective.pdf

https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/psychological-attack-uk-part-2

Edited by skitzorat
  • Thanks 1