Coronavirus Mega-Thread.

numnuts

Message added by Grumpy Owl,

This topic is for all general discussion regarding the current COVID-19 pandemic. There are of course numerous other related topics for discussing specific aspects of this pandemic in more detail. And there are other parts of this forum for more 'off-topic' discussions.

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Cabinet Office has drawn up emergency plans to prepare for UK worst case scenario if second wave of Covid coincides with No Deal Brexit in December, leaked document reveals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8655383/Cabinet-Office-draws-scenario-second-wave-Covid-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Not a plan, it's a script!

"Brexit has to be postponed, because virus."

Soooooo predictable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Cabinet Office has drawn up emergency plans to prepare for UK worst case scenario if second wave of Covid coincides with No Deal Brexit in December, leaked document reveals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8655383/Cabinet-Office-draws-scenario-second-wave-Covid-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Not a plan, it's a script!

Britain's worst wheat harvest in 40 years is likely to cause a price hike in flour and bread, the industry has warned.

Brexit, the coronavirus pandemic and small, low quality crops have created a "triple whammy" for farmers, millers and bakers.

Only about 40% of the usual amount of wheat crop was planted last October due to heavy rain, while crops being harvested now are very poor quality due to droughts earlier in the season followed by lots of August rain, the National Farmers' Union (NFU) said.

The bad harvest is exacerbated further by the uncertainty of a no-deal Brexit at the end of this year, with fears World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs will be imposed on wheat that millers will have to import from overseas to meet demand.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Velma said:

Britain's worst wheat harvest in 40 years is likely to cause a price hike in flour and bread, the industry has warned.

Brexit, the coronavirus pandemic and small, low quality crops have created a "triple whammy" for farmers, millers and bakers.

Only about 40% of the usual amount of wheat crop was planted last October due to heavy rain, while crops being harvested now are very poor quality due to droughts earlier in the season followed by lots of August rain, the National Farmers' Union (NFU) said.

The bad harvest is exacerbated further by the uncertainty of a no-deal Brexit at the end of this year, with fears World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs will be imposed on wheat that millers will have to import from overseas to meet demand.

Funny that, the fields here in Herts were full of wheat until it was harvested early August, loads of Barley as well.

15 minutes ago, Velma said:

Soviet era starvation in full effect. Stalin deliberately destroyed farmers lives to attack the food supply and demoralise the population. History repeats itself...

• Like 1

Fines of up to £10,000 for those organising illegal raves in England will come into force ahead of the bank holiday on Monday 31 August as authorities clamp down on unlawful gatherings.

Officers have responded to a surge in unlicensed music events in recent weeks amid warm weather and an easing of lockdown restrictions. Tougher measures targeting those breaching coronavirus regulations concerning large gatherings will come into effect on Friday, ahead of the August bank holiday weekend.

2 hours ago, shadowmoon said:

Funny that, the fields here in Herts were full of wheat until it was harvested early August, loads of Barley as well.

I had a poor crop of garden veggies this year due to a very hot June and extremely wet July. It should be the reverse.

2 hours ago, Velma said:

I had a poor crop of garden veggies this year due to a very hot June and extremely wet July. It should be the reverse.

Yes Velma, the weather this year has been utterly strange. I don't reckon we've had a decent summer at all really. I keep expecting our summer to come soon, but realising its actually going to be coming into autumn pretty soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankVitali said:

Yes Velma, the weather this year has been utterly strange. I don't reckon we've had a decent summer at all really. I keep expecting our summer to come soon, but realising its actually going to be coming into autumn pretty soon.

A stormy August too! Very strange...

1 hour ago, Velma said:

Chilling! State kidnapping! And who could possibly pay such exorbitant fines for contravention of these "directives?"

Chilling is right Velma; Australia - particularly Victoria - is out of control; the people need to do something now.

This; I hope to hell it comes off!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8649345/Angry-Melburnians-threatening-revolution-par-Eureka-Stockade.html

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

Chilling is right Velma; Australia - particularly Victoria - is out of control; the people need to do something now.

This; I hope to hell it comes off!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8649345/Angry-Melburnians-threatening-revolution-par-Eureka-Stockade.html

I hope so too.

This comment struck me and it resonates because it is happening in each country where lockdowns and draconian measures are implemented.

Nearby 2 months ago someone had thrown themselves off a bridge onto a motorway - people still tying balloons to railings and leaving flowers -  

I am constantly sad - and angry.

Eyes_Open1122, Melbourne, Australia, 3 days ago

@Heidi Over 700 have killed themselves since March in Victoria alone. That number has gone from 10-15per week in previous years to 20+ per week. The average age is 40yrs. Tell me, what's the average age for Covid deaths? 85+ and that's not FROM Covid but WITH Covid! The death rate from Covid here in Oz is 0.0018% would you like to comment about those people too? Or do they not matter?