36 minutes ago, peter said:

Maybe another thread entitled Artists you have actually seen live wouldn't go astray, what do you think?

Seeing them live is an incredible experience perhaps worthy of expanding on. People articulating their impressions of the real thing vs the commercially-packaged reality. I know I could say a lot on this but is the subject a good fit to engage discussion I have no idea.

Reflecting on why so many hugely successful musicians forego any formal instruction or resist any attempts made to get them to read musical notation.

The creative musical mind is situated in the left brain.

Musical notation appeals to the statistical, analytical, mathematical mind located in the right brain.

This suggests to me that a musician encoding or decoding musical notation into sound vibrations has a trained ability to harmonize both brain hemispheres when it comes to music.

Those others accomplishing great musical feats without a formal education in written music notation are the types that may have come to realize that right brained stuff hampers their ability to concentrate their creative efforts. As if maybe some evil entity will seize the spirit in their music if too much academia and formality set in.

Posted (edited)

One of the albums I enjoyed the most from Genesis was in the early years, some say a time where Genesis were at their best. In the least the praise heard around was never heard as forcefully as then from my experience. From A Trick of the Tail, the enchanting "Entangled" ;

I played this song a lot on my Fender 12 string acoustic guitar.

Edited by Avoiceinthecrowd

Televised series have sometimes adopted theme songs that really don't create a mood consistent with the enetertainment genre being presented. Then there are those gems that fit perfectly and lead you into the feature having given clues to whats coming. Like this one from the overture to the "Trueblood" series we see in the theme music by Jace Everett an indication that bad things will happen in a light dramatical manner. The sarcasm of the song "Bad Things" works well ;

Posted (edited)

Judy Garland was not the first choice for the film "Wizard of Oz" inspired by the original book written in 1900. The book spawned 3 silent films.

MGM bought the rights to the song "Over The Rainbow" and wanted America's sweetheart, Shirley Temple, to assume the lead but ultimately it was considered that Temple's voice was too weak for the demanding musical numbers.

The song "Over The Rainbow" was orginally cut from the film after a test showing but saved by the producers.

Again it was cut from the film after a second preview because it was believed that the song slowed down the plot of the film and MGM did not particularly like the idea of one of their stars singing on a farm with haystacks.

Cooler heads prevailed and the song won two Oscars for Best Song and Best Original Film Score.

Toto was a female Cairn Terrier that appeared in 15 films. Garland grew attached to this dog and wanted to adopt it but no way the owner would part with his precious barking gold-mine.

Toto was paid twice as much as the Munchkins and didn't even have to sing or dance 🤣

Garland's daughter, Lisa Minelli went on to marry the tin man's son Jack Haley Jr.

Factoids from the 1990 documentary "The Wonderful Wizard of OZ: The Making of a Movie Classic".

Posted (edited)

The hilarious movie "Top Secret" starring Val Kilmer and Omar Sheriff features many scenes where Kilmer dances and sings (can't say for sure if its him really singing). Kilmer as Nick Rivers "Straighten The Rug" ;

And here with "Spend This Night With Me" ;

The 007 franchise gave us some unforgettable music in their overtures. John Barry wrote the musical theme of the film "Goldfinger" and I present this instrumental version as one of my favorites. I don't need to be reminded in the lyrics to the original that Goldfinger was a glutton and psychopath, the lyrics are clever but after a zillion times hearing them the basic melody became amazing without the lyrics. The lyrics were composed by Anthony Newly and Leslie Bricusse. Here is my favorite instrumental version ;

7 minutes ago, Avoiceinthecrowd said:

The 007 franchise gave us some unforgettable music in their overtures. John Barry wrote the musical theme of the film "Goldfinger"

This is my most-loved John Barry music of all time ...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

This is my most-loved John Barry music of all time ...

"Dances With Wolves" film starring Kevin Costner. Love this film and the soundtrack as much. Not a dull moment throughout.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

During a Hollies concert we attended at Place des Arts in Montreal it was rumored that Alan Parsons might pop in for a guest spotlight. CHOM fm had hyped this possibility for a month. He never showed.

Alan Parsons was a sound engineer for the Beatles among others before branching off on his own and producing his own material. This is "Eye in the Sky" from the 'Alan Parsons Project', Pyramidia album ;

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Snip-it_1716189526165.jpg.6de363c9fbd3e24f80bd810c5ceede90.jpg

https://splice.com/blog/how-to-overcome-writers-block-musician/

01- use writing prompts
02- use a random word generator
03- set a timer
04- write a draft
05- write a silly song
06- revisit an old song
07- write a song without any rhymes
08- write poetry or prose
09- journal
10- get inspired
11- listen to music
12- change your environment
13- change your process
14- start with the music
15- try co-writing

At the link they elaborate each of these 15 points.

Then we have those offering a software total solution to the problem of songwriter's block.

Snip-it_1716189492499.jpg.225253e6c3d948dbacc5bbb1bfa9f72e.jpg

I have seen similar types of software for writing film screenplays and formatting cinema scripts. May we live in interesting times.

During our holiday visitations with family when the very noisy diner feasts were concluded we would often clear out the room furniture and dance the limbo, a challenging feat of athletics animated by Chubby Checker's "Limbo Rock" song from 1963 ;

Next a guy they are calling the best Limbo dancer ;

Posted (edited)

CBC's radio show called "Distant Cousins", animated by Rich Terfry,  takes a look at songs that sound similar and asks if these similarities between songs is coincidental or intentional. He leaves it up to the listener to decide.

Terfry says he gets letters from listeners telling him of distant cousin songs they have come across. Here is one such pair ;

Rolling Stones "Has Anybody Seen My Baby ;

And KD Lang's "Constant Craving" ;

Posted (edited)

Synthpop transforms Alan Parson's excellent "Sirius".

Again, the Australian band, Parralox reminds us that an original version can re-surface in a tasteful composition that reflects the technical and creative progress made in the musical arts ;