Posted (edited)

Songs evoke memories. Bobby Darin was a favorite of my parents.

Mom was always dancing in almost every 8mm home movie we have from that time. Mom and dad would send us to bed then we could hear the tunes they played while relaxing and cooling down.

A big favorite of theirs and a song that takes me far back down memory lane was Bobby Darin's "Dream Lover" ;

Then, along came the totally crazy hilarious "Hotshots" movie starring Charlie Sheen.

"Dream Lover" was the score in this insane comedy sketch 🤣

Edited by Avoiceinthecrowd

Posted (edited)

The Platters enjoyed success and their songs seem etched into every generation, timeless. How many couples slow danced "Only You" and associate the song with tender sentiments and fond memories ;

Then, along came the following scene from the movie "Hotshots" and a new song memory slate was engraved into our minds 🤣

They should not have sold the rights 😂

On 5/15/2024 at 10:36 AM, webtrekker said:

Another underrated band that I've always liked. The pedal steel guitarist (named Glen Campbell, believe it or not!) is one of the best I've ever heard .

Roy Clark was another from that time 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Snip-it_1715929394167.jpg.0a5990519ad3b95ae85228cbc9b8c99c.jpg

I come from the age of pinball machines and grew up intersecting with these in the watering holes we frequented.

Although I sucked at it and felt tragic loss when the silver ball went down the drain, the time spent trying to build up my scores was exhilirating.

Now, I have my sense of sight and hearing and speaking but the Who describe a deaf dumb and blind kid that played by sense of smell and was the best pinballer out there, in fact a pinball wizard ;

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Living and happy in the forest I still always yearn for a life by the sea in some next incarnation.

Living by it, swimming and diving under it. Revitalized by it's salt content. Feeling it and marvelling at it's tempests.

Because of this longing I am particularly fond of the movie "The Big Blue" starring Joanna Arquette and the brilliant and funny Jean Reno.

Besides being another great story of romance set in idylic seaside locations and driven by unbelievable feats of depth diving with only the last breath you took before going under, the musical score adds mystique.

The overture score by Eric Serra to this great work of cinematography is remarkable on it's own right with it's digital constructions and integrated whale and dolphin chants. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do ;

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Snip-it_1715825174805.jpg.c89eabfd8fa40d39c648c57ece34a7a4.jpg

Royally slippery!

Snip-it_1715825250255.jpg.b9e1ac25d0b9245f63abd8f8e2caed65.jpg

Has the distinct stench of tax processing bureaucracy. The Lords of mediatic dispersal and music material packagers and distribution networks and studios set the rules. 

Snip-it_1715825266801.jpg.4c9f1b489c80f37fd6b4506c6aecc1be.jpg

Give the devil his due.

Snip-it_1715825282474.jpg.96a953b2afcb43b161a48ae156a5d32d.jpg

Administrative management of these systems lacks the appeal of the materials that produced the wealth they are all scrambling to feed on. Given the temperment storms observed in musicians at times (buildup of stress from the nearly unbearable expectations of the industry, the demand made on time and talent) and in general in the creative-type personality, those fragile egos, we can imagine the complexity of character required to mediate and settle financial matters equitably. Keep the tornadoes from rocking the boat too much so-to-speak.

Quotes from Leftbrain.

Music as an instrument of torture. 

When the United States government was trying to flush out Col. Manuel Noriega for his role in drug smuggling they resorted to flooding his compound with loud music until he capitulated.

Used as tool of coersion we find music used to clear the homeless from public building steps at night by looping a very annoying tune. To my knowledge the song "Baby Shark" was used for this purpose ;

Posted (edited)

Celine Dion, born and raised in Quebec Canada, this vocal diva migrated to the massive markets and potential for success in the United States and soared up into fame and fortune from there.

A controversial figure of late, she originally started out managed by a Lebanese-Syrian named Rene Angelil who was an singer at the time with "Les Baronnets", a trio that enjoyed a moderate degree of success on the francophone markets. Dion married him and had kids.

An avid gambler, Angelil passed in Las Vegas, NV. Dion sang a song with the Bee Gees onstage at their One Night Only concert in New York. Robin and Maurice were still with us.

Here is Angelil (tall middle-eastern-looking gentleman) with his band Les Baronnets and "Je Suis Fou" ;

And here is Celine Dion with "A New Day Has Come" ;

On 5/15/2024 at 10:33 AM, webtrekker said:

King Crimson

Deep Purple (the colour of Royalty)

Napoleon XIV ("They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha-Haa!")

Did you pick King Crimson for the first track on the album In the Court of the Crimson King

I ask this because if you listen to it while being under the influence of a three letter drug (that was readily available in those days and shall remain nameless) while staring at the album cover, you have to listen to the rest of the album plus a couple more just to un-frazzel the nerves so to speak otherwise the title of the last song could be well on the cards

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, peter said:

Did you pick King Crimson for the first track on the album In the Court of the Crimson King

I ask this because if you listen to it while being under the influence of a three letter drug (that was readily available in those days and shall remain nameless) while staring at the album cover, you have to listen to the rest of the album plus a couple more just to un-frazzel the nerves so to speak otherwise the title of the last song could be well on the cards

Haha! No, I chose King Crimson because I have the album 'Islands' with my favourite KC track -'Formentera Lady.'

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For you lovers of grand orchestral works I offer a rivetting opening sequence that sets the pace for a dark and rather disturbing musical.

"Sweeney Todd" (The Demon Barber of Fleet Street) starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter tells a tale based on a musical by Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler.

The overture to this film offers up a nicely produced graphical representation accompanied by a powerful Hitchcockian-style orchestral composition. Here it is ;

Johhny Depp sings in this musical. An actor and singer ;

This movie is filed in my archives beside "Soylent Green" 😁