Do they know something we don't?

Andy Mac

9 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Article in the Daily Mail today - American billionaires are selling stocks by the boatload - sparking fears of an impending financial disaster.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13180433/billionaires-Jeff-Bezos-Leon-Black-Mark-Zuckerberg-sell-stocks.html

Seems to happen every year. Probably something to do with the end of the financial year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Article in the Daily Mail today - American billionaires are selling stocks by the boatload - sparking fears of an impending financial disaster.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13180433/billionaires-Jeff-Bezos-Leon-Black-Mark-Zuckerberg-sell-stocks.html

Just looking at the Apple chart. It might go even further. Good time if you can do shorts but not in the UK. meh

10 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

I think what they are doing is quite revealing and I suspect we will find out really f**kn soon folks.

Btw, the war on humanity is still ongoing, just a reminder... 😉

3 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Seems to happen every year. Probably something to do with the end of the financial year.

Yes, then they buy the stocks back cheaper later on and make a tidy profit. These people know how to keep their bank accounts full.

Edited by itsnotallrightjack
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

Yes, then they buy the stocks back cheaper later on and make a tidy profit. These people know how to keep their bank accounts full.

Exactly, it's all financial fakery, stocks and shares are just 'wealth on paper'.

Yes, it's all done deliberately, some folks sell a load of their shares, it gets reported in the news, other folks start speculating or panicking, which causes the share/stock price to fall, then the same folks just buy more stocks/shares at the lower price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Exactly, it's all financial fakery, stocks and shares are just 'wealth on paper'.

Yes, it's all done deliberately, some folks sell a load of their shares, it gets reported in the news, other folks start speculating or panicking, which causes the share/stock price to fall, then the same folks just buy more stocks/shares at the lower price. 

It's rather like short selling, used by hedge funds. A tactic used by some fund managers who think a share is overpriced. It doesn't even need to be with their own shares - big firms like pension funds are in on it too because they can take a cut. 

Basically they scout around for shares they think are overpriced and find someone to borrow them from, for a short period (like a pension fund or insurance company). Sell those in the stock market and then when the price has (hopefully) dropped, buy them again and give them back. All done through a contract and a fee.  

It still uses the principle of buy low and sell high, but in the opposite order.  The argument in favour is that it can burst a bubble before it gets any bigger and reduce the scale of boom & bust. Because a lot of financial markets feed off emotions like greed and fear. When markets go up, people get greedy and start speculating like you say, ie a bull market. By the time regular folks like us realise there's a bubble and it's in the news, someone will have already got there and started short selling. When enough others join in the price peaks and starts to fall then fear replaces greed.  I suppose shorting is like greed feeding off fear. All based around herd behaviours and it depends on where you are in the herd, at the front or the back as to your status (how rich you'll get). So there's money to be made out of keeping most of us in a sheep mentality and also it's worth being something of a contrarian - if you have a good sense of timing, a good source of information and a strong stomach. 

If you fancy a go at making money on falling markets, another way to do it is with spread betting where you can bet on a share index like the FTSE 100 dropping. I've never tried and I advise against it (it's very risky).  I do however think shares are worth considering as a long-term investment if you know what you're doing and can cope with the volatility. 

Edited by Campion

On 3/13/2024 at 12:06 AM, Campion said:

It's rather like short selling, used by hedge funds. A tactic used by some fund managers who think a share is overpriced. It doesn't even need to be with their own shares - big firms like pension funds are in on it too because they can take a cut. 

Basically they scout around for shares they think are overpriced and find someone to borrow them from, for a short period (like a pension fund or insurance company). Sell those in the stock market and then when the price has (hopefully) dropped, buy them again and give them back. All done through a contract and a fee.  

It still uses the principle of buy low and sell high, but in the opposite order.  The argument in favour is that it can burst a bubble before it gets any bigger and reduce the scale of boom & bust. Because a lot of financial markets feed off emotions like greed and fear. When markets go up, people get greedy and start speculating like you say, ie a bull market. By the time regular folks like us realise there's a bubble and it's in the news, someone will have already got there and started short selling. When enough others join in the price peaks and starts to fall then fear replaces greed.  I suppose shorting is like greed feeding off fear. All based around herd behaviours and it depends on where you are in the herd, at the front or the back as to your status (how rich you'll get). So there's money to be made out of keeping most of us in a sheep mentality and also it's worth being something of a contrarian - if you have a good sense of timing, a good source of information and a strong stomach. 

If you fancy a go at making money on falling markets, another way to do it is with spread betting where you can bet on a share index like the FTSE 100 dropping. I've never tried and I advise against it (it's very risky).  I do however think shares are worth considering as a long-term investment if you know what you're doing and can cope with the volatility. 

I wouldn't recommend because you are betting against the house and the house knows exactly where your stoploss, sell price are so they can fiddle. It is their market you are betting against and not the official market price so it could go the other way i.e. when the official market is going long and you place a long bet but the spreadbetting house could short the price to make you lose out. This doesn't happen on demo account though so you think you can make loads of money but when you open a proper account, things are different. This also happens with crypto exchanges. Loads of people on leverage get flushed out from time to time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaleP said:

I wouldn't recommend because you are betting against the house and the house knows exactly where your stoploss, sell price are so they can fiddle. It is their market you are betting against and not the official market price so it could go the other way i.e. when the official market is going long and you place a long bet but the spreadbetting house could short the price to make you lose out. This doesn't happen on demo account though so you think you can make loads of money but when you open a proper account, things are different. This also happens with crypto exchanges. Loads of people on leverage get flushed out from time to time.

Good point about crypto, as it’s now a super strong market at the mo it’d be wise to sell some of what you’ve got, but wait until the market drops again before buying anything.

The banks have been buying up crypto all over the place which pulled crypto out of its slump a few months ago which created the current bloom. 
I can’t help but think there is something more to this.

I see Reddit and a couple of other websites are launching on the stock market, we’ve seen this before in the dot com boom. When things get tough, businesses that don’t really have any real value in terms of physical survival or provide anything tangible for the human race end up gone.

Still havnt bought any crypto but will have to wait now. There’s a couple of new currencies that seem to have potential as they’re cheap at the moment and are being implemented in future technologies which will see their prices grow well in the future. 

If I make anything off those, I’ll put some of the profits into a few sats of BC, some say each BC will be worth around £500,000 by the time the blockchain ends 

33 minutes ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

Good point about crypto, as it’s now a super strong market at the mo it’d be wise to sell some of what you’ve got, but wait until the market drops again before buying anything.

The banks have been buying up crypto all over the place which pulled crypto out of its slump a few months ago which created the current bloom. 
I can’t help but think there is something more to this.

I see Reddit and a couple of other websites are launching on the stock market, we’ve seen this before in the dot com boom. When things get tough, businesses that don’t really have any real value in terms of physical survival or provide anything tangible for the human race end up gone.

Still havnt bought any crypto but will have to wait now. There’s a couple of new currencies that seem to have potential as they’re cheap at the moment and are being implemented in future technologies which will see their prices grow well in the future. 

If I make anything off those, I’ll put some of the profits into a few sats of BC, some say each BC will be worth around £500,000 by the time the blockchain ends 

The current crypto market will peak in a couple of weeks. It always does around April. It will tank in June so your best bet will be around there to buy and wait for the next wave which should be around the end of the year. Sell everything. But exchanges are dodgy as fuck too and not forgetting about phsing attacks. People have been drained of their millions. Gone with a click. Nada, zero.

The market will never be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va24ZLwNYEI

Edited by DaleP
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaleP said:

The current crypto market will peak in a couple of weeks. It always does around April. It will tank in June so your best bet will be around there to buy and wait for the next wave which should be around the end of the year. Sell everything. But exchanges are dodgy as fuck too and not forgetting about phsing attacks. People have been drained of their millions. Gone with a click. Nada, zero.

I know! That’s why I havnt bought anything yet. I registered with an exchange in 2022 but for some reason something was telling me not to buy ANYTHING. 
Then I found out about hosting your own wallet etc and that made sense as to why I was so apprehensive about using the exchange plus I heard a few horror stories like what you are describing. 

Your own wallet is a lot of ballsing around, but worth it 

Crypto seems better than premium bonds or postcode lottery eh? 

1 minute ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

I know! That’s why I havnt bought anything yet. I registered with an exchange in 2022 but for some reason something was telling me not to buy ANYTHING. 
Then I found out about hosting your own wallet etc and that made sense as to why I was so apprehensive about using the exchange plus I heard a few horror stories like what you are describing. 

Basically, you buy off the exchange but don't keep it there as exchange could go down, take hostage of your coins etc so you need to transfer it to your own wallet but there are 100s of wallets 😵 You need to study ins and outs in depth which is immense as the market is fast changing. Stock are much slower but less risky than crypto. If you can get it right, return will be more than the bank's interest on your savings. I guess everything is a risk. You keep your money in a bank and the value goes down each year.

Yup, the wallet thing is my next and last hurdle.

The stocks thing seems a bit of a quagmire but aside from that a multi millionaire once told me a certain company’s Pep ISA to invest in if I ever get enough reddies together so it’s a possibility, but with stocks it’s best to stick with nuts and bolts companies, with actual property, products and assets that are needed for survival. 

Contrary to what I’ve just mentioned, a complete antithesis- it might not be aligned with my values and my spirit might take a knock, but I’ve always thought investing in military tech companies would be a safe profitable bet- look at the amount every gov in the world pumps into this area, it’s absurd! But then your karma would be completely fucked. 

May as well stick it all in the fuck it bucket and go back to good old Nationwide savings. Good interest rates with them. 

1 hour ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

I wonder what would happen to your BC or Crypto or whatever else if when digital ID becomes the only way to be part of society... 🤔

54 minutes ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

Yup, the wallet thing is my next and last hurdle.

The stocks thing seems a bit of a quagmire but aside from that a multi millionaire once told me a certain company’s Pep ISA to invest in if I ever get enough reddies together so it’s a possibility, but with stocks it’s best to stick with nuts and bolts companies, with actual property, products and assets that are needed for survival. 

Contrary to what I’ve just mentioned, a complete antithesis- it might not be aligned with my values and my spirit might take a knock, but I’ve always thought investing in military tech companies would be a safe profitable bet- look at the amount every gov in the world pumps into this area, it’s absurd! But then your karma would be completely fucked. 

May as well stick it all in the fuck it bucket and go back to good old Nationwide savings. Good interest rates with them.

ah nice choice so that we get fucked even more.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wideawake said:

I wonder what would happen to your BC or Crypto or whatever else if when digital ID becomes the only way to be part of society... 🤔

maybe that’s why the banks are so interested in it now, if you can’t beat em join em, until you eventually beat em. 

All crypto will be bought out and turned over to the banks/world gov cbdc linked to your digital ID. 

No escape 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 6:57 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Yes, but with that ‘wealth on paper’ they’re still able to buy REAL things. - With it they can buy houses, land, Ferrari’s, Jaguar’s, Rolex Oysters, race horses, private jets etc.

• Like 1