Facial recognition, scanning a loyalty card and using a touchscreen: The steps Sainsbury's shoppers could face

dumbcritic

On 2/27/2024 at 8:42 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

I agree completely! Self-serve checkouts are fine if you only have a small basket of items, and yes it should be about choice, rather than imposing these things on shoppers.

When I used to shop at my local Asda in Kings Heath, it was more convenient for me, with a few items in my basket, to use the self-service checkouts (the ones that were working at least!) rather than waiting in line behind people emptying full trolleys at the manned checkouts.

But in many other shops, I do prefer to wait in line and be served by an actual human being.

Ah. No polite people where you live, then. In almost all the supermarkets I go to, if someone ahead of me with a full trolley notices that I have only a few items, they always say "Go in front of me, pet". It's just what people do - common sense and politeness.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, k_j_evans said:

Ah. No polite people where you live, then. In almost all the supermarkets I go to, if someone ahead of me with a full trolley notices that I have only a few items, they always say "Go in front of me, pet". It's just what people do - common sense and politeness.

Jumping queue is norm here. 🙄

On 3/1/2024 at 2:03 PM, itsnotallrightjack said:

Yes, those self service tills are shoplifting enablers. People scan a few items, slip one into their bag un-scanned. The machine doesn't notice...

Good point. And even if human security does realise and catches up with you, they are now allowed to search your bag,  and if they touch you it is assault and you can sue the supermarket. Not that i am advocating anything

many large shops are removing those checkouts now. 

Store loyalty cards are the first step to control.

This thread has a lot of angry remarks on it. Instead of everyone complaining why not find a way to change things...?

35 minutes ago, RobinJ said:

This thread has a lot of angry remarks on it. Instead of everyone complaining why not find a way to change things...?

Yes, if using these shops perhaps one obvious way is still use usual  human being checkouts ,pay in cash don't use loyalty card and hopefully enough people doing this will slow it up / down ,I notice more  electric barriers  going up in supermarkets 

Edited by Talorgan

40 minutes ago, Talorgan said:

Yes, if using these shops perhaps one obvious way is still use usual  human being checkouts ,pay in cash don't use loyalty card and hopefully enough people doing this will slow it up / down ,I notice more  electric barriers  going up in supermarkets 

Don’t know why but I always seem to end up paying more for a shop if I use the human checkouts. 
There’s always problems with the discounts, or they put something through twice or maybe they also put a sly finger on the weigh scale whilst the bananas are on it, who knows. 

The self service checkouts are protected by a digital scale inside the bagging area where you put your goods after scanning. 

If it’s a gram out of whack, it’ll be flagged to staff. 
I’ve never done this as I don’t condone shoplifting and I’ve never even tried it (no need to) but I think people worked out how to get expensive items for cheap- 

Say you’ve got an 80p pot of natural yoghurt that weighs 500g in your trolley, and an expensive pack of organic coffee at £12.50 that also weighs 500g.

What they’d do is scan the 80p yoghurt at the same time as putting the coffee on the scanning platform, then put the coffee in the bagging area, leaving the youghurt on the platform until at the end they put the youghurt back in the loading area, pretending to not need it or not being able to afford it. 

Hey presto, they just got a £12.50 item for 80p. They fooled the digital scales, the only way they could get caught is if a member of staff came up to them to physically check their receipt and bags. 

It’s well dodgy but I’m sure it’s done every day by brave cunning thieves 

Edited by LastOneLeftInTheCounty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

a sly finger on the weigh scale whilst the bananas are on it, who knows. 

A grand shopping tradition continues.

It was stated by one former young customer that Thatch used to do that when dispensing sweets in the shop of her father, Alf Roberts - the Masonic groping grocer. 

• Haha 1

Shopping is going to Hell ina handbusket ,just want to buy bit food and it's becoming a sort of obstacle course for the mind and maze of technocratic possibilities waiting to pounce 

Edited by Talorgan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RobinJ said:

I did. I stopped shopping at these big supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda etc.

• Thanks 2

Meanwhile at Tesco...

Tesco shoppers' shoplifting warning over new self-checkout system

Shoppers have branded Tesco' new self-checkout tills "bonkers" - and even claim the system encourages shoplifting. The supermarket giant is trialling new tech which means customers do not have to scan items at the tills.

Instead, shoppers take items off shelves fitted with weight sensors. As products drop into baskets a camera scans and then tots up what they've got.

By the time they're at the checkout the customer is presented with a list which is checked and goods are then paid for without the need for scanning. Tesco hopes the system, launced last November, will spell the end of the headache-inducing "unexpected item in the bagging area" warnings.

However, shoppers have taken to social media to question the move. One said they "hated" it - another said it was "bonkers". Tesco said it was all about making the experience more enjoyable.

One fumed on X: "So they walk in the shop, pull out their phone, scan the items using their phone and then pay on their phone - this is literally a gift for shoplifters."

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-shoppers-shoplifting-warning-over-28729857?int_source=nba

I don't get why they're "trialling new tech" when they already had something like this. When I used to have a big Tesco Extra near me, I remember seeing the 'Scan And Shop' devices, which were basically a handheld barcode scanner that you could put into a holster on the trolley. The idea being that as you went around the store, you'd scan items as you put them into your trolley, then when you got to the special checkouts, you just had to pay for all the items you had already scanned.

The reality is that any kind of self-checkout facility is open to abuse by shoplifters.

The millions of pounds that Tesco et al are investing in 'new tech' in order to make the shopping experience 'more enjoyable' would be better spent on paying staff to do a job.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, pete675 said:

It was stated by one former young customer that Thatch used to do that when dispensing sweets in the shop of her father, Alf Roberts - the Masonic groping grocer. 

She was obviously a dishonest trader then! 

Wondering how much extra money is taken by this practice yearly? 

3 hours ago, Talorgan said:

Shopping is going to Hell ina handbusket ,just want to buy bit food and it's becoming a sort of obstacle course for the mind and maze of technocratic possibilities waiting to pounce 

It’s depressing, shopping nowadays. 

Especially if the Secret Loser Gang follow you around, get in close behind you and do secret hand signs at the till. 

The next time one of them invades my personal space I’m going to split their head open on the shop floor, that’s their stalking career over 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

Secret Loser Gang follow you around

What's that? The Tesco staff do you mean at the point of Self Checkout?

47 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

The millions of pounds that Tesco et al are investing in 'new tech' in order to make the shopping experience 'more enjoyable' would be better spent on paying staff to do a job.

True to say like other sucker markets, Tesco is one of the biggest and it's size reflects how it doesn't give a rats arse about making our shopping experience enjoyable..... Certainly not by my experience. PR BOLLOXXX.

Edited by Certified Green of Heart

16 minutes ago, Certified Green of Heart said:

What's that? The Tesco staff do you mean at the point of Self Checkout?

True to say like other sucker markets, Tesco is one of the biggest and it's size reflects how it doesn't give a rats arse about making our shopping experience enjoyable..... Certainly not by my experience. PR BOLLOXXX.

The SLG, where do I begin. 

Tesco are owned by Booker, a massive link in the supply chain. They’re cash n carry’s.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:49 AM, Mr Crabtree said:

Morrisons are a uk state/US military backed and US hedge fund owned supermarket, I always get problems from foreign security if I go there, and I’d advise boycotting them. 

Nod to that, a local one to me is a super arrogant cock sure type (black guy)....

I am not racist but I don't tolerate that bluster of shit... I know good foreign (dark skin) security workers, and bad ones (talking another language too some of them like the arrogant one I just mentioned, who he thinks he is- is just laughable & grossly obnoxious, and doesn't know subtlety a damn, because of having no intuition or discerning attribute, like not knowing a branch from a twig for example. Or a nook from a nave, or whatever)

Edited by Certified Green of Heart

7 hours ago, pete675 said:

She had her finger on the scales, then later, in her adult life,  her much underestimated hubby Dennis had his fingers in many pies in the business world, and we all know where daddy Roberts liked to have his fingers, don't we?🤨Alfred_Roberts.jpeg.ab23773257ce3c03e4f9a362836b54f1.jpeg  Maggie's Papa

download(27).jpg.5994a143be1a93f0560e1804dfe368b2.jpg Theresa May's Papa

Both of these Father's had somewhat 'iffy' reputations, Theresa May's dad worked as the Hospital Chaplain alongside Eastbourne Hospital serial killer Doctor John Bodkin Adams, an early day equivalent to Doctor Harold Shipman!

John_Bodkin_Adams_1940s.jpg.b3f087f02fbe4901340a62c570e971d1.jpgDdownload(28).jpg.57ef24ef919b53780f4152cdbe29335f.jpgDoctor Harold Shipman!

Doctor John Bodkin Adams

All four of them were all, good, top class Englishmen, someone to look up to and hold the deepest respect for!

Edited by Mr Crabtree
  • Like 1

the self service checkouts still stop you to check your shopping with 5 items so what is the purpose why not employ staff and man the proper checkouts again, human eyes can never miss an item unless someone was a skilled shoplifter either way you never going to stop shop lifting.  I am not paid to do their scanning for them.

By the way I went to some supermarket to do the shopping but there was no shop as someone taken it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Meanwhile at Tesco...

Tesco shoppers' shoplifting warning over new self-checkout system

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-shoppers-shoplifting-warning-over-28729857?int_source=nba

I don't get why they're "trialling new tech" when they already had something like this. When I used to have a big Tesco Extra near me, I remember seeing the 'Scan And Shop' devices, which were basically a handheld barcode scanner that you could put into a holster on the trolley. The idea being that as you went around the store, you'd scan items as you put them into your trolley, then when you got to the special checkouts, you just had to pay for all the items you had already scanned.

The reality is that any kind of self-checkout facility is open to abuse by shoplifters.

Makes you wonder why Tesco and other stores don't really care about shoplifting or product loss. It's all about control and tracking what you eat and use.

Truth is the food costs nothing to produce (and vast quantities  are thrown away by supermarkets) as the corporations who own those companies are organised in a pyramid hierarchy. They "print money" aka numbers on a screen.  Governments own those supermarkets through the corporate structure that owns governments, look at how quickly they organised them at the start of lockdown. As money isn't real anyway and there is way more food than the world needs (false scarcity) people need to start asking why all these new ways to pay in shops are only happening now, and it's nothing to do with profits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

The SLG, where do I begin. 

Tesco are owned by Booker, a massive link in the supply chain. They’re cash n carry’s.

Eventually you see all supermarkets link upwards in ownership to a bigger corporate structure. 

Everything leads to the top of the pyramid.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RobinJ said:

Store loyalty cards have been around for years.

Why shouldn't people be angry,? Even if they can't change things they have a right to be angry. Your criticism of "everyone complaining" is you saying people should suffer in silence, but why should they? People have the right to complain. And doing it in public, such as on this forum, encourages others to QUESTION EVERYTHING.

Complaining IS "doing something". For a start it creates a different perception of reality. If no one complained then others think everyone is happy with it. And as we know from psychological research that pressures people to go along with the majority, which would then be easy for the elite and governments to control. Governments hate people complaining in public, look at China etc. What you're suggesting is censorship. You're literally criticising people for exercising free speech.

Given the way supermarkets have taken over where are millions of people meant to go instead? You're being too hard on people and you're unrealistic about the alternatives. There just aren't enough small shops that people could shop at anymore and what about the fact that most people don't live anywhere near small independent shops.

Where are you suggesting millions of people go to shop instead of supermarkets when supermarkets shut down all the local shops? And let's not forget the way supermarkets control the supply chain and prices of all foods and other products.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:38 PM, k_j_evans said:

if someone ahead of me with a full trolley notices that I have only a few items, they always say "Go in front of me, pet". It's just what people do - common sense and politeness.

Less so around here. Tbf though, normally the "few items guy" wants some super-obscure lotto ticket. Wants to discuss the cigs that *should* be on display. Wants to discuss the "game", attempt to negotiate a discount on cans of cider, and discuss his cats feeding habits.

Fair play. But being a spotter of patterns, I try hard to push in front of that guy. My full basket is much more simple and faster.. if scanned by hand and not by a bloody machine 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chris P said:

Less so around here. Tbf though, normally the "few items guy" wants some super-obscure lotto ticket. Wants to discuss the cigs that *should* be on display. Wants to discuss the "game", attempt to negotiate a discount on cans of cider, and discuss his cats feeding habits.

Fair play. But being a spotter of patterns, I try hard to push in front of that guy. My full basket is much more simple and faster.. if scanned by hand and not by a bloody machine 🤦‍♂️

I don't think they sell lottery tickets or tabs on the tills at Sainsburys (although they do lottery tickets at Aldi) and it's always the ones with the full trolleys who suddenly realise that they've got a leaky container of milk, the wrong size jumper or an obscure item with no barcode on it. Us lot with the two or three items are through the till , cash paid, before the trolley lot have finished unloading.

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2024 at 5:32 PM, k_j_evans said:

I don't think they sell lottery tickets or tabs on the tills at Sainsburys (although they do lottery tickets at Aldi) and it's always the ones with the full trolleys who suddenly realise that they've got a leaky container of milk, the wrong size jumper or an obscure item with no barcode on it. Us lot with the two or three items are through the till , cash paid, before the trolley lot have finished unloading.

There are lots of NPCs in the simulation.

Conspiracy theories normally become fact because we are giving the PTB the ideas, it all comes from the brain and manifests.  Some physicist could do a search online and we might be giving solutions to their projects.  Just my opinion.

The old guard are dying off and arise the technocrats of silicon valley controlled by BlackRock etc.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:02 AM, Mr Crabtree said:

There was a bloke on the tills at Lidl here in Brighton who'd been there around ten years, then he told me he'd opted for a  career change and had applied for a security job at the Asda store down in the marina,  he was a happy go lucky type of person, and always very pleasant to the customers!👍 I wished him good luck and said 'well, they say a change is as good as a rest, go for it mate'! Six months down the line has changed him a lot, he struts about a lot, tries not to catch anyone's eye and follows people about like someone in a bad B movie spy film🕵️‍♂️ peering around the corners of the shelves etc. He has totally changed his demeanor, and when he does the security desk in the foyer he totally blanks any customers entering the store, the only exceptions being if someone approaches him directly for some reason, and then he deals with them quite curtly!

He is around thirty five years old, but in those six months or so seems to have aged about ten years, to me no job is worth the changes in his attitude to people he's known for years, it's like he's had some sort of Lobotomy operation and become a bit of an arsehole to be quite blunt about it!🤔 He's not married and still lives at home with mum, so at least there's no wife to go home to and tell her all about his shit day👍 He looks so miserable, he makes BUSTER KEATON download(2).jpg.b7f38b672099ae224b7cf2940cf0a3cf.jpg 

'download(21).jpg.1761f5fbe94158cc2d31ee25c6832871.jpg   

seem like the 'LAUGHING POLICEMAN' in comparison!

A few weeks ago there were three women with trolleys blocking the end of an aisle, talking and exchanging phone details etc and somebody { not me } put a couple of those cones they use to block off any spillages in front of them as a joke🫢 Him and two other 'colleagues' removed the person from the store according to someone I talk to on the trolley collections on the carpark! He said the manager had ordered his 'removal' because he'd 'upset' the three customers! But when they stood yapping on that corner they just didn't give a fuck about blocking anyone else from getting by, but, when they were 'upset' it was a different matter!🤔 

Could be that the last booster has thrown that security guard over the edge. I've noticed personality changes in some of those I've known who have had every available jab. Even more so, physical changes for the worse. 

My workplace is brimming with the walking wounded. One dead from a turbo cancer, one with multiple heart attacks, one with a clot, two with arthritis seemingly out of nowhere, everybody having flu's and colds ALL through the winter, two with unshiftable coughs since the autumn. 

Continued sickness will often affect people's moods, which in turn give the impression of a personality change. I do think that many now know what they didn't before getting jabbed and are probably beating themselves up. 

• Thanks 2