"War On Motorists" - but who's to blame for 'pedestrian deaths' really?

Grumpy Owl

A protest took place in Birmingham city centre today, where protestors lay in Great Charles Queensway to "represent the 25 road deaths that occur in Birmingham every year".

‘Die-in’ protest held in busy Birmingham street after deaths in city

A road safety campaign group in Birmingham took to a busy city street to stage a ‘die-in’ protest calling for changes after deaths on the city’s roads. Around 50 protestors gathered in Great Charles Street Queensway, opposite the entrance to University College, to voice their concerns after two more pedestrians were killed in the past month.

Former Crossroads actress Charmian Abrahams, 96, who played Mavis Hooper in the Midlands motel soap died after she was struck by a vehicle in Ladywood Road in Harborne on Monday, January 15. And a woman in her 40s was killed after being hit by a car in Witton Lane, near Aston Hall Road, close to Aston Villa’s Villa Park ground, just before 9am on Thursday, December 21.

And in Belgrave Middleway in the city centre a pedestrian was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries after being hit by a car at around 6.30pm on Saturday, January 13. The incidents, just days into 2024, prompted Better Streets for Birmingham to hold a protect calling for ‘no more road deaths’.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/die-in-protest-held-busy-28524391

Just as an aside into the poor quality of local journalism, the above quote is copied verbatim. It was actually "Lordswood Road" in Harborne, not 'Ladywood Road', and this group held a 'protest' not a 'protect'. 😪

Co-chair of the Better Streets for Birmingham group, Mat MacDonald, gave a speech to those gathered. He called for an end to the ‘senseless loss of life on our city’s roads in collisions’.

He said: “Over the past few weeks, tragedy has struck yet again on our city’s roads. Two women have been killed, whose only misdemeanour was to have the temerity to walk around the areas where they lived.

“Two women who were expected back home and who never returned. And now two sets of families dealing with the unimaginable trauma of such a sudden, unexpected and violent loss. And a whole city who know, any of our loved ones, any of us could be next.”

He said ‘our roads are not safe’ and the ‘systems for removing dangerous drivers from them are not working’. He said the deaths were ‘grimly predictable’.

He went on: “Every single fortnight in Birmingham someone is killed on our roads, while every single day someone is seriously injured.” He said leaders have ‘failed’ to properly tackle the problems streets face.

Mr MacDonald said there were ‘too many cars in Birmingham’ and ‘too many of them are driven dangerously’. He said road safety on many roads was ‘a mere afterthought’. He said: “Car excess, anti-social driving and unsafe roads blight our communities, bring fear, misery and death to every corner of Birmingham.

“But from Harborne to Hay Mills, from Edgbaston to Erdington, are standing together in anger, in anguish and furious solidarity today, enough is enough.”

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I don't drive and have never owned a car, so just wanted to make my position clear.

This particular group may appear to have noble intentions on the surface, but in reality they are very much 'anti-car' and 'anti-motorist'.

It is always tragic when someone loses their life, but in many of these cases there is important context being missed.

Yes, it is true that there are a number of idiots who choose to race around everywhere and ignore the Highway Code.

It is also true that the word 'idiot' is now considered offensive and will result in your comment being 'deactivated' on Reach Plc sites for breaching their 'community guidelines'.

image.png.e143c3c7bc26716bce948b2cd71bb322.png

However, in the grand scheme of things, is 25 that great a number? But my big question is how many of these 25 deaths were entirely preventable, if the victims had chosen to cross that particular road in a safer manner?

Too often, we'll see some story in local news about some pedestrian being run over and either seriously injured or killed.

But "what actually happened" will never get reported, so in most cases it remains a 'mystery'.

I would hazard a guess that in most of these cases, this pedestrian has been maimed or killed through their own stupid fault, by attempting to cross a busy main road where or when it was clearly not safe to do so.

I see it all the time, particularly in Sparkbrook near where I work, all along the Stratford Road, people are blindly walking out into moving traffic, despite a plethora of controlled pedestrian crossings, or central reservation refuges. And what alarms me most is people walking out into the road either carrying children, or dragging them by their hands.

And then of course there are the 'smartphone zombies' who just casually step into the road while staring at their iPhones.

So come on, lets have some truth please, how many of these pedestrian deaths were caused by their own carelessness rather than through any fault of the motorist?

It sounds  to me like this group are going about things the wrong way, maybe they should be doing more to educate and inform pedestrians on how to cross roads more safely, that would be a great way to reduce injuries and deaths.

Sadly, I think this is just a front or a cover for a more 'anti-car' agenda.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

A protest took place in Birmingham city centre today, where protestors lay in Great Charles Queensway to "represent the 25 road deaths that occur in Birmingham every year".

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/die-in-protest-held-busy-28524391

Just as an aside into the poor quality of local journalism, the above quote is copied verbatim. It was actually "Lordswood Road" in Harborne, not 'Ladywood Road', and this group held a 'protest' not a 'protect'. 😪

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I don't drive and have never owned a car, so just wanted to make my position clear.

This particular group may appear to have noble intentions on the surface, but in reality they are very much 'anti-car' and 'anti-motorist'.

It is always tragic when someone loses their life, but in many of these cases there is important context being missed.

Yes, it is true that there are a number of idiots who choose to race around everywhere and ignore the Highway Code.

It is also true that the word 'idiot' is now considered offensive and will result in your comment being 'deactivated' on Reach Plc sites for breaching their 'community guidelines'.

However, in the grand scheme of things, is 25 that great a number? But my big question is how many of these 25 deaths were entirely preventable, if the victims had chosen to cross that particular road in a safer manner?

Too often, we'll see some story in local news about some pedestrian being run over and either seriously injured or killed.

But "what actually happened" will never get reported, so in most cases it remains a 'mystery'.

I would hazard a guess that in most of these cases, this pedestrian has been maimed or killed through their own stupid fault, by attempting to cross a busy main road where or when it was clearly not safe to do so.

I see it all the time, particularly in Sparkbrook near where I work, all along the Stratford Road, people are blindly walking out into moving traffic, despite a plethora of controlled pedestrian crossings, or central reservation refuges. And what alarms me most is people walking out into the road either carrying children, or dragging them by their hands.

And then of course there are the 'smartphone zombies' who just casually step into the road while staring at their iPhones.

So come on, lets have some truth please, how many of these pedestrian deaths were caused by their own carelessness rather than through any fault of the motorist?

It sounds  to me like this group are going about things the wrong way, maybe they should be doing more to educate and inform pedestrians on how to cross roads more safely, that would be a great way to reduce injuries and deaths.

Using phones while walking around, crossing roads in the dark while dressed in dark colours, not using a crossing because it means walking an extra 30 yards. Crossing when the motorists' light is on green (the number people who do that amazes me) because they just missed the red and can't be bothered to wait. Under the affluence of incahol. Who knows. Some years ago, it was a great tragedy that some dickhead ran across a dual carriageway from the pub at night and was hit by a car. That dual carriageway is crossed by a bridge with a pavement about 20 yards away, a safe subway about 50 yards away, a slightly less safe subway a bit further away in the other direction and a raised walkway. Dickhead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally think maybe these 20mph zones aren't enough. 10 or even 5mph and maybe lower the motorways to 30mph? This will save many more lives.

On a serious note it amazes me that people don't think a car will hurt will them. I've done many stupid things in my time especially when I was a kid which I cringe at now, whether it was cycling onto (which I didn't know at the time was one way traffic I was cycling towards it! When I was 14) my mate rightly gave me a right telling off and even said he'd laugh if I got knocked over. He was looking out for me really.

Ironically he got knocked off by a car 10 minutes later. I of course didn't laugh and luckily he was ok.

Or crossing busy junctions and dual carriageways pissed and drugged out of my skull in my late teens early twenties.

But the amount of people who don't look before they cross the street is mind boggling. I always look both ways even if it's a one way road lol.

There is also the cognitive delay/ impact on motorists and pedestrians definitely causing more collisions. Less drivers thinking and planning ahead properly, wanting to move lane last minute.  People sitting there when lights go green for what feels like a lifetime, an abundance of middle lane drivers, often sat using their phones, people seem seem have lost their ability to concentrate on the road as well. 

9 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

It sounds  to me like this group are going about things the wrong way, maybe they should be doing more to educate and inform pedestrians on how to cross roads more safely, that would be a great way to reduce injuries and deaths

We've had greta, then extinction rebellion, then scientist rebellion, then nazi royal backed earthshot, seems there are so many billionaire sponsored groups out there trying to reshape the world, prentending to be our best friends, prentending to be working for the greater good...but is that the case

• Like 2

The standard of driving and general awareness from “other road users” such as cyclists, pedestrians and scooters etc has become absolutely shambolic since the vaccines. 

Wherever possible I try and do all my driving after 8pm these days. 

Even so you can still come across someone driving at an absolute snails pace at midnight on a totally empty road who is absolutely oblivious and will not show any road etiquette by pulling over for 5 seconds to let you pass. 

Driving boils my piss these days. But it’s all by design. Driving / travelling is freedom. We all know they need to curtail this by 2030. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

'Confusing' signage at junction where sergeant died

A busy junction with “confusing” signage was partly responsible for the death of a police officer, according to a coroner.

Sgt Paul Frear of West Midlands Police was critically injured when he was struck by a car while walking to work.

The incident happened on Tollhouse Way, Smethwick, in September last year.

Joanne Lees, the Black Country coroner, said there was a risk of future deaths unless action was taken by Sandwell Council.

As I always say, it's always tragic when someone loses their life, but in this case, no matter how they try to spin this and direct blame elsewhere, this chap died as a result of their own stupidity/carelessness.

In a prevention of future death report, external, Ms Lees said the Wolverhampton-based officer was hit at the junction with B4135 Rolfe Street, a section of carriageway which separates into three lanes.

She explained Sgt Frear was hit by a vehicle which was correctly travelling in lane two in accordance with a green light.

The coroner said the pedestrian control panel next to the police officer was showing red, indicating do not cross.

He may also have been distracted by his phone or other pedestrians, she added.

My emphasis in bold, that tells you all you need to know. These pedestrian crossing point signals are hardly 'confusing'.

Red man = do not cross

Green man = you can cross

However, Ms Lees said she remained concerned about the design of the junction, as it wasn't obvious to pedestrians exactly where they should be looking.

"Lanes one and two are for traffic intending to continue straight on and lane three is for traffic intending to turn right in to Rolfe Street," Ms Lees wrote.

"Traffic in lane three immediately next to Mr Frear was stationary and held by a red filter traffic light.

"However, traffic travelling in lanes one and two was able to continue straight ahead and was directed by a green traffic light."

The obvious thing that pedestrians should be looking at is the crossing signal lights. 😉

Then when the signal turns green, indicating it is safe to cross, look and make sure the traffic has come to a stop before entering the carriageway, yes there's always that one idiot who decides to ignore the stop light.

A police collision investigator also revealed he had found the scene confusing, her report said.

You'd think the police would know better...