Jump to content

Were we lied to about goal setting?


Recommended Posts

Caveat this is an exploration I don't have the answer!!

 

Traditionally we're told to set very specific goals, the more you know what you want the more likely to achieve it. The analogy given is often setting the navigation dial on a ship...

 

Potential problems I have encountered with this...

 

You're limiting yourself.

 

And limiting yourself based upon limited knowledge i.e. what you know today and have experienced yesterday.

 

Sometimes can experience fear or procrastination as a goal nears completion. Subconsciously, brain can sabotage because it doesn't know what comes after.

 

What I am thinking...

 

Set broad brushed goals which have no limitations and are not specific..allows room for more creativity, more expansion and a never ending drive with no ending point..

 

An example

 

Old system

 

I want to run 10km

 

New system 

 

I want to run as far as I am humanly capable...

 

feedback welcome...from everyone 

 

tagging in @RobinJ as very expert in these matters..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well gee I don't think I'm any kind of expert in goal setting. In fact I would probably see that as my old self who was forced to be in a competitive system.Even though found a way to thrive, I wasn't happy.

If you are really into goal setting to move forward or achieve something then what I learned was to stand back, look at the end you want, then chop it into manageable pieces to make it easier. Deal with easiest part first then everything else flows from it.

In the running example, i remember being taught to only focus in getting to the next lamppost, then the next and so on.

Nowadays, I tend to do stuff with more intent and from the heart rather than head based stuff such as goal setting.

Manifesting from the heart is way more fun anyway 😜 and its a real kick when it works!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2024 at 10:48 AM, Mr H said:

What I am thinking...

 

Set broad brushed goals which have no limitations and are not specific..allows room for more creativity, more expansion and a never ending drive with no ending point..

 

An example

 

Old system

 

I want to run 10km

 

New system 

 

I want to run as far as I am humanly capable...

 

feedback welcome...from everyone 

 

My method is to have both. End goals are great in their way, like I want to run to my full potential, get super healthy or meditate like a sage. But then I need to break up the big goal into bitesized pieces and have a plan so I can tick off my milestones along the way to see my progress and hopefully avoid procrastinating. Say with running or going to the gym, I need to build up gradually, too much too soon can do more harm than good - especially at my age !! 😀 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Campion said:

 

My method is to have both. End goals are great in their way, like I want to run to my full potential, get super healthy or meditate like a sage. But then I need to break up the big goal into bitesized pieces and have a plan so I can tick off my milestones along the way to see my progress and hopefully avoid procrastinating. Say with running or going to the gym, I need to build up gradually, too much too soon can do more harm than good - especially at my age !! 😀 

Thanks "old timer" 😜

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mr H said:

Thanks @RobinJthat's helpful..

 

Would you be willing to teach how you manifest from the heart center? 🙏

Well firstly everything is about belief. You have to believe it will happen.

1. Get clear about what you want. What is the specific outcome you desire?

2. How can the thing you want also benefit others? It is always about the collective, not just you.

3. Get into a meditative or heart state where you can feel the emotion of having that thing.

4. Ask 'the field' as if it has already happened and you are living it. Feel it, smell it, touch it, hear it etc. (Same teaching via NLP by the way)

Point 4 is the key along with the emotional input. This has been backed up by science now too.

 

The field is basically a web of energy that exists all around us. The language of that Web is heart based emotion. Compassion being the most powerful of all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RobinJ said:

Well firstly everything is about belief. You have to believe it will happen.

1. Get clear about what you want. What is the specific outcome you desire?

2. How can the thing you want also benefit others? It is always about the collective, not just you.

3. Get into a meditative or heart state where you can feel the emotion of having that thing.

4. Ask 'the field' as if it has already happened and you are living it. Feel it, smell it, touch it, hear it etc. (Same teaching via NLP by the way)

Point 4 is the key along with the emotional input. This has been backed up by science now too.

 

The field is basically a web of energy that exists all around us. The language of that Web is heart based emotion. Compassion being the most powerful of all.

 

Thanks Robin I will give it a try.

 

You say point no 4 is most important. So just want to make sure I understood it properly...

 

You say "ask" but then go onto mention "as if has already happened" 

 

Ask implies a question. How do you phrase in words a question in the past or present tense? Can you give an example?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr H said:

Thanks Robin I will give it a try.

 

You say point no 4 is most important. So just want to make sure I understood it properly...

 

You say "ask" but then go onto mention "as if has already happened" 

 

Ask implies a question. How do you phrase in words a question in the past or present tense? Can you give an example?

Ah yes, sorry. What mean is to visualise what you want in the present tense like its already here. Add the emotion and everything you can you make it vivid.

Let's say you needed rain for your garden. If you just prey for rain  you may get it in such abundance it drowns everything.  So you imagine why you need the rain, what and who it might benefit. What does it look and feel like etc. How beautiful will it all be when it arrives and revives everything.

The field, according to quantum science etc is like a mirror. It reflects what you put out, so be clear about what you put out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RobinJ said:

Ah yes, sorry. What mean is to visualise what you want in the present tense like its already here. Add the emotion and everything you can you make it vivid.

Let's say you needed rain for your garden. If you just prey for rain  you may get it in such abundance it drowns everything.  So you imagine why you need the rain, what and who it might benefit. What does it look and feel like etc. How beautiful will it all be when it arrives and revives everything.

The field, according to quantum science etc is like a mirror. It reflects what you put out, so be clear about what you put out.

Thanks Robin. I will practice. Seems like intention and on whose behalf does it serve, is important here. 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...