Questions about Buddhism

I wanted to know, what do Buddhists believe about the nature of this place in terms of it being inherently good or evil?

I ask because you hear often Buddhists talk about this being a place of suffering...

You also hear them talk about reincarnation...

If the answer to the first question is it's evil/place to suffer and we reincarnate, the obvious solution would be to not have sex

What are their views on lust and sex?

16 hours ago, Mr H said:

I wanted to know, what do Buddhists believe about the nature of this place in terms of it being inherently good or evil?

I can't answer as a Buddhist but I did used to practice it and visit monasteries etc. I didn't come across an idea of inherent good & evil hard baked into the nature of reality like you see in some other religions. They are seen more in terms of human spiritual development so evil is associated with unwholesome mental states like anger, greed and selfishness, which ultimately stem from ignorance. Ignorance of the nature of reality which is nonself, nondual. Buddhism is therefore akin to a training course from ignorance to awakening along the eightfold path, and the five precepts of lay Buddhists start with the phrase 'I undertake the rule of training to ...'

16 hours ago, Mr H said:

If the answer to the first question is it's evil/place to suffer and we reincarnate, the obvious solution would be to not have sex

What are their views on lust and sex?

Suffering isn't evil, but it's inevitable if you see the world dualistically, ie if you believe your separate ego is real. 

According to traditional Asian Buddhism, not procreating isn't an answer because you can still get reborn in other realms and full liberation is only possible in human form. However in my experience Buddhists aren't so hung up on believing the creeds like with the Abrahamists, especially in the west, it's much more practical. If you feel attracted to Buddhism then try it out and if it works for you brilliant, if not then maybe something else will. Personal experience trumps philosophical speculation, the Buddha gave a parable about that. If you're hit with an arrow (ie suffering) do you stop to question where it came from and who made it, or just get it out. 

Re lust and sex. I guess there is a bias towards believing monks and nuns get enlightened faster than householders, but if you are a householder there's a precept to "abstain from sexual misconduct" which is wonderfully vague and therefore gets interpreted according to the local culture. In the East it's still pretty traditional, here in the west it's more liberal shall we say. However, if you get into the territory of lust, greed, craving etc then that would probably be seen as unwholesome and leading to suffering.

Edited by Campion
  • Thanks 1

I like Buddha.

I would suggest that illusions believed is a form of deceit,  derived from deceit(idea contrary to Truth), and from/by deceit we see and experience what we could call "good" or "evil". They are subjective terms within the illusion and don't exist outside of it,  the nature of (the) illusion being deceit(governing Principle--Prince of this world)--self-deceit, and it's opposite then being Truth and thus the "nature" of Reality is the opposite of this "world".

So, I say the "world" or illusion is "evil", because it is effectively a denial of The Real. It can be viewed(practically) as an expression of "self-hate". Also an expression of a belief that Reality isn't "good"(sufficient) enough as IT IS. 

What it is is a deception...how can that not be "evil" and lead to more and more extreme "evil" as long as Deceit is given value over Truth?

What is "bait and switch"?

Edited by novymir
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Has David Icke shared his feelings about Buddhism and Vedic systems? I ask because I just listened to a video he released on Ickonic and he states that all the god's that are part of all the pantheon's around the world, Greek, Hindu and others are part of the same pantheon of god's and they all ultimately are serving satan. I couldn't believe he said that. That would imply that there are no pure god's? Buddhism uses Deity yoga as a way of connecting with one's own inherent connection to Universal Consciousness. The talk I listened to is: Demon's run the world. At the 29:00 minute mark. It was released today March 14th.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No-one (except if religious of Jesus Christ himself if he is your saviour) gave the nod to a specific kind of God that all could agree to (whether man-made or naturalistic), and therefore everybody made and makes their own version or understanding or deity or worshipping object worth their while on whatever grounds...

So IMO given the freedom to have the option, it's better to turn down religion and to have a more freer approach to what is Godliness is, which to my mind is always still better than any organized religions, MUCH MORE FREE THAN!!....

So whether this has anything to do with the topic or not, for me personally, it's fine with me that I do not regard Buddhism as a religion (burdening regimentality= cumbersome & oppressed servile slave mentality) by any contrasting or traditional or artificial construct of a God thus believed for whatever reason (by religions)

Buddhism is to me purely of the spirit in my view but with hope to some practical aims of course too with the help of a purified heart & spirit having been attained or on the way to being attained... (but you see, that is in my own rendered view, others may differ about Buddhism and may know a whole lot more than I do, and that's ok, if they have additional understandings of Buddhism that I don't or that I have not quite considered all in, as a straight example, but I am still free by my thinking and by my spirit and that is what matters most at the end of the day to deter evil and avoid evil..)

• Like 1