Earthquake in Japan, tsunami warnings

Grumpy Owl

I know I haven't been around on here much over the last week or so because I've been busy enjoying Christmas and doing other things, so I don't blame anyone for finding this hard to believe.

A few days ago, I was watching the daily Suspicious0bservers show on YouTube, where Ben told us about a big coronal hole on the Sun which was due to face Earth and send an intensified solar wind blast 'within the next few days'.

I actually said to myself at the time, "I bet that means we'll have a big earthquake or volcanic eruption on New Years Day".

Sadly, I never got the opportunity to publish this thought anywhere on the internet for posterity, so you're all just going to have to take my word for it!

Now it is true that generally my predictions don't come true, so you can imagine my surprise when I got up this morning and checked on the BBC News:

Moment quake hits Japan coastal town

Japan has issued a major tsunami warning after a 7.6 magnitude earthquake struck the central region.

A series of earthquakes also struck nearby areas, with residents in several coastal prefectures told to evacuate.

Footage from Japanese broadcaster NHK shows the moment an earthquake shook Suzu, on the coastline in Ishikawa prefecture.

There is of course more on this story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-67855990