What's so great about alcohol?

Mr H

I done my fair share of substances in the past, and still enjoy from time to time plant medicines....

But even in my party days I never really drank.

I tried my best to drink to be like everyone else but it didn't vibe with me. I either acted like an idiot or went to sleep and usually felt like I'd been seriously poisoned the next day. Nothing like the enjoyment I experienced from other stuffs.....

There has been an odd occasion where someone has given me a drink and I thought it tasted nice. .....

So just out of curiosity really, what are the positives folks get from drinking alcohol?

• Thanks 2

Reason came to mind is FOMO

Like people here in UK are literally crazy for this stuff.

Where I am people grabbing the special offers on the booze in the supermarkets, pubs full, everyone desperate to drink after work......

There must be something in this thing??

I swear though if it's good times your after I don't see how it is comparable to doing a cheeky dose of LSD and a bifta....I'm fairly sure it will be much more fun and interesting and zero violence or injuries..... unless you think you've turned into a bat or something and think you can.fly....

Edited by Mr H

3 hours ago, Mr H said:

I swear though if it's good times your after I don't see how it is comparable to doing a cheeky dose of LSD and a bifta....I'm fairly sure it will be much more fun and interesting and zero violence or injuries..... unless you think you've turned into a bat or something and think you can.fly....

I don't know about this tbh. I used to smoke weed daily and have done a lot of drugs partying etc.

Not for me in the end.

All fucks you up in the end. 

I'd rather feel like I have a head on my shoulders rather than zonked out all the time. 

In my younger days I drank when I went out, if a local pub closed down, in my mind I would virtually wear a black armband like people used to wear at funerals! My uncle once said 'If a pub waited for me to go in, it would never open' ! I said 'If it waited for me to go  home, it would never close'! The odd thing was, I never drank at home, it was always whilst I was out with mates, and I was always as pissed as a fart by the time I got home. I always considered myself an alkie, but obviously I wasn't a full blown alkie because I could go for days without going out, and then, I never touched a drop! Being a Midlander I used to drink Banks's bitter, Ansells bitter, and Bathams bitter, got drunk and told worse, crap jokes, than I tell on here, and wanted to be everyone's friend! One day, an army friend introduced me to Newcastle Brown and whatever was in it turned me into a real nasty bastard, always looking for a fuck or a fight, didn't matter which, but preferably both! Wanting a fight didn't mean it taught you to fight, I lost a lot more then I won, also I lost my first wife and kids in the end! They'd never gone short of material things, but the aggressive lifestyle I'd slipped into pushed her over the edge, although, in my defence, I never, ever, not even once, raised a hand toward them! When I met my second wife, she told me straight that she wouldn't stand my ways like my first one did, and it might sound weird, but that was the push I needed, I knocked the Newkie on the head, went onto bitter shandy and slowly came off it altogether!

Forty odd years and five more kids later, we're still together and the only time I see a pint is maybe outside in a pub garden when we're on holiday somewhere! We just talked about this post and my wife said she thought I'd only drank to be sociable when I went out, but I was anything but sociable when the Newcastle Brown was in my life!

Someone told me that 'there's no such thing as an ex alcoholic' but, whatever the attraction to booze was back then, It's certainly no longer there for me now!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Crabtree said:

In my younger days I drank when I went out, if a local pub closed down, in my mind I would virtually wear a black armband like people used to wear at funerals! My uncle once said 'If a pub waited for me to go in, it would never open' ! I said 'If it waited for me to go  home, it would never close'! The odd thing was, I never drank at home, it was always whilst I was out with mates, and I was always as pissed as a fart by the time I got home. I always considered myself an alkie, but obviously I wasn't a full blown alkie because I could go for days without going out, and then, I never touched a drop! Being a Midlander I used to drink Banks's bitter, Ansells bitter, and Bathams bitter, got drunk and told worse, crap jokes, than I tell on here, and wanted to be everyone's friend! One day, an army friend introduced me to Newcastle Brown and whatever was in it turned me into a real nasty bastard, always looking for a fuck or a fight, didn't matter which, but preferably both! Wanting a fight didn't mean it taught you to fight, I lost a lot more then I won, also I lost my first wife and kids in the end! They'd never gone short of material things, but the aggressive lifestyle I'd slipped into pushed her over the edge, although, in my defence, I never, ever, not even once, raised a hand toward them! When I met my second wife, she told me straight that she wouldn't stand my ways like my first one did, and it might sound weird, but that was the push I needed, I knocked the Newkie on the head, went onto bitter shandy and slowly came off it altogether!

Forty odd years and five more kids later, we're still together and the only time I see a pint is maybe outside in a pub garden when we're on holiday somewhere! We just talked about this post and my wife said she thought I'd only drank to be sociable when I went out, but I was anything but sociable when the Newcastle Brown was in my life!

Someone told me that 'there's no such thing as an ex alcoholic' but, whatever the attraction to booze was back then, It's certainly no longer there for me now!

Screenshot_2023-12-30-14-57-39-08_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Alcohol as a Christmas present- after trying a bottle of every beer that Badger sell this Christmas, the taste test is complete, 

Their best offering is - 

D6249E0B-1546-4667-A533-D06ED654DB39.png.205d365357ee344b727b2a2f0733275c.png

Very nice beer.

It’s up there with ruddles and the best craft ale you can imagine. 
Im usually a blonde, pale ale IPA drinker but this amber stuff is delicious 

Alcohol is a known poison and it destroys the mind and body. there is far too much research to say otherwise. I dont drink personally and never will. I use to work in a alcohol rehab ward and its a nasty slow killer. So my advice would be stay away. If you cant keep it in moderation.

8 minutes ago, Captainlove said:

Alcohol is a known poison and it destroys the mind and body. there is far too much research to say otherwise. I dont drink personally and never will. I use to work in a alcohol rehab ward and its a nasty slow killer. So my advice would be stay away. If you cant keep it in moderation.

i hope i get to live long enough to worry about having an addled brain....the way things are going in the world though i'm not so sure

unlike most people i don't expect life to stay normal....i know how crazy things are going to get

'may we die without shame!' - old toast of cretan resistance fighters

Edited by Macnamara

1 minute ago, Macnamara said:

i hope i get to live long enough to worry about having an addled brain....the way things are going in the world though i'm not so sure

Got to remain positive mac. Nothing is set in stone,there are many options.

Yes, there was a time when I used to "drink to get pissed" and I'm sure many people did the same.

Out of some sort of societal obligation, that one must consume vast amounts of alcohol, in order to be 'having a good time'.

However I take a different viewpoint now, I do still drink alcoholic beverages at home by myself.

But I find now that the intention is not to get 'blind drunk', at most I might expect to get 'mildly sozzled', depending on the day of the week.

Sometimes, once I've had a couple, that's when I find myself in my best form for writing, coming up with new thoughts and ideas.

The saying as it goes is "alcohol loosens the tongue" which maybe true. But maybe, in small doses, it also 'lubricates the mind'.

My earliest encounters with 'conspiracy theories' came about through discussions in my old local pub with some older folks, and a fair few beers were consumed between us at the time.

I used to have a problem with this. Then around ten years ago I drank to excess one time too many and the next day experienced something similar to alcohol poisoning. It just so happens that it created something like an aversion, so now it is difficult for me to even be around people who are drinking, let alone intoxicated. The last time I was under the influence was a wedding in 2017. I can't stand the stuff nowadays and don't miss it. 

Although I used to enjoy fags and booze I can scarcely believe now that we are living in a world in which people pay money to poison their bodies. Doesn't that just speak volumes about where we are as a species and the grip that the PTB have over over mindset? Paying to poison yourself? That's self-hate, surely?

Edited by Ethel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethel said:

I used to have a problem with this. Then around ten years ago I drank to excess one time too many and the next day experienced something similar to alcohol poisoning. It just so happens that it created something like an aversion, so now it is difficult for me to even be around people who are drinking, let alone intoxicated. The last time I was under the influence was a wedding in 2017. I can't stand the stuff nowadays and don't miss it. 

Although I used to enjoy fags and booze I can scarcely believe now that we are living in a world in which people pay money to poison their bodies. Doesn't that just speak volumes about where we are as a species and the grip that the PTB have over over mindset? Paying to poison yourself? That's self-hate, surely?

It's funny you say this. I'm at a point now where I'm quite happy to be slightly inebriated by myself at home, but I really don't like being amongst other 'drunk people' out in public.

1 hour ago, Ethel said:

if people are using it to extrovert and have fun and meet people then i wouldn't say that is 'self hate' no. If people are drinking in moderation to relax i wouldn't say that is self hate either

i don't think things need to be that black or white

Of course alcohol is very good for preserving or absorbing herbal medicines as tinctures and tonics 

I hardly drink occasionally a beer which is great because then a small drink with some folk music has good effect also I did read hops were pretty good too sometimes.

Edited by Talorgan

Every class of drug has a lesson for you, even intoxicants. Intoxicants are a truth serum, they turn you into your true self and bring out your inner feelings. A lot of us are a little different when we are drunk and that’s cool, however if you are a very very different person when you are drunk you are not being your true self.

I enjoy a drink but it is not my favourite state of consciousness.

Edited by robhr