Is Blade Runner Our Future? (Technological Dystopia)

• 1 month later...

Replicants so human-like that a special machine and a skilled interrogator are required to recognize them. Merely walking among them or interacting socially or professionally with them you could hardly know. This element of the story could be our past, present and future. If this world was created by people that had advanced replicant technology we could have been walking among non sentient beings for long time. Bladerunner is a world where replicants are outlawed on earth but besides possessing a burning desire to prolong their lifespan I could not see why they were not tolerated. Seems to me that having the ability to create synthetic human that a first priority would be to design them safe enough to be useful and safe among sentient humans. That Bladerunner's replicants were not designed with foolproof safety protocols is a fiction component that rings odd to me. Bladerunner predicts, by way of the environment, that green iniatives failed at least in cities.

• Like 1

Bladerunner's Rachel was different. A replicant but one that has been imparted with a pseudo-sentience leading her to believe herself sentient. This characteristic of Rachel, this illusion of self, made her the only replicant in that story that humans felt comfortable and safe around. I derive here a reasoning that if she is capable of feeling empathy for other humans that she would not be dangerous. As the story draws to an end Rachel is told she is a replicant, that she failed the Voight Kampf test. Telling her of the implanted childhood memories. Then she appears as another to be terminated. She lost her humanity and fell to the status of the outlawed skin job. We can see by this why Gaff's status was not clearly defined and understanding how his being a replicant might screw up the narrative's premise that the last place one would find a skin job is in the police force. Gaff's perfect oragamis are not that exceptional. Many used that trait of Gaff as proof he was replicant.

We were truly blessed when Ridley Scott assumed command of that project. A visual arts genius and tenatious perfectionist.

Edited by Avoiceinthecrowd

Blade Runner is metaphorically about the Holy Spirit of Truth operating within a mind dreaming up a nightmare. The Dream is an internal projection of this consciousness based on an idea contrary to Truth and has momentarily lost contact with Reality. Or;  tuned out and contemplates the idea contrary to Truth. We and this world are the projections conforming to the idea. The ego-identity is a fictional idea of self separated from WHAT IS. It is a self-deceit.

The Holy Spirit of Truth judges and executes(refutes) that within the mind that is false and therefore unreal(and Truth takes it's place), thereby reestablishing awareness and contact with Reality.

But only if one wills it.

ps:

The original "TRON" from the 80's is similar to what I'm talking about. 

Edited by novymir

Bladerunner was made in 1982 and is set in the year 2019. Our 2019 had cell phones and no flying cars and the film had no cell phones but had flying cars.

Even if smart phones had existed when Bladerunner was made (1982) I wonder if they would have put them in the film. The book (1968) was written before cell phones. I think smart phones would have ruined the movie had they been a part of it. 

In Bladerunner they have flying cars but it is not so clear how affordable they are or who else besides law enforcement and a small pocket of affluent people operate them. One thing is clear considering the population densities implied in the movie that not everyone has them.

The movie is loosely based on the book by Philip K. Dick titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (1968)". When the film was shown for the first time, Mr. Dick was invited to this premiere and said the film is better than what he imagined when he wrote the book.

Bladerunner was released in the same year as The Thing, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan and many other cinematic heavy-hitters not necessarily in the sci-fi genre.

Bladerunner got clobbered by the critics and performed poorly at the box-office purely because of timing. Bladerunner shone like a diamond among those big money blockbusters and this must have been very irritating for the competition for those 1982 theatre dollars.

To me at the time (saw it in theatres when it came out) and since I could not understand the critical bashing of this work of art. But as time has moved on and diluted our interest in many of those big 80s films, Bladerunner has gained popularity and cult status. Easier to appreciate now that the static of unfounded criticism has been grounded.

Why is it raining so much in Los Angeles in the movie. What, if any, was the prediction here? It never rains in Los Angeles and at the end of the movie Decker and Rachel fly off into a clear blue sky. Was LA saturated with chemtrails? Can't really imagine what could make that city so dark and wet.

10 hours ago, Avoiceinthecrowd said:

Why is it raining so much in Los Angeles in the movie. What, if any, was the prediction here? It never rains in Los Angeles and at the end of the movie Decker and Rachel fly off into a clear blue sky. Was LA saturated with chemtrails? Can't really imagine what could make that city so dark and wet.

The Sun(Son Infinite) undeceived, is not a burning ball in the sky, It is the portal, the hole between this illusion; this Dream of Deceit... and Reality.

Vampires don't like the "sun" at all. What kind of world would they prefer?

Consciousness. Illusury "Wart-World" dreamed, isn't really there, all that's there is a part that has lost communication with The Greater Whole.

But we believe in lies, projecting them/it outward, and perceive them as "reality".

theworld.jpg

Edited by novymir