Illegal immigrants working as delivery drivers?

Grumpy Owl

Came across this brief story in the Express & Star the other day and it asks more questions than are posed.

Food delivery rider arrested for immigration offences after cycling down the M6

A food delivery worker has been arrested for immigration offences after being stopped riding his push bike along the M6 southbound near Birmingham.

Central Motorway Police issued a warning saying: "The motorway is no place for delivery riders, it's an offence and highly dangerous."

The incident was reported at around 4am on Tuesday on the team's Twitter page.

It read: "Male arrested for immigration offences having been stopped riding his push bike along the M6 South between junctions 7-6 he was delivering takeaways."

Officers have been contacted for further comment.

from: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2023/10/10/food-delivery-rider-arrested-for-immigration-offences-after-cycling-down-the-m6/

I can't find it now, but I did see another article about this, where it was claimed that this idiot person was delivering for Just Eats or Deliveroo (can't remember which one, but it was one of 'those')

Aside from the fact that cyclists really shouldn't be riding on the motorway, it is interesting that this person was charged with 'immigration offences', and then that was it, story over.

No information about his immigration status, and no questions about how he was able to gain employment with this company.

"Immigration offences" suggests to me that this person was an illegal immigrant. From where they came I do not know, but it would seem that they had no right to be in this country.

(They certainly had no idea about the Highway Code!)

Which then raises the question of how they were able to gain employment as a delivery driver?

Do Just Eat, Deliveroo et al have any due process in place to vet their applicants? How on earth do illegal immigrants gain 'legal employment' and pay income tax, national insurance etc?

How many other illegal immigrants are there working for these companies as delivery drivers?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Came across this brief story in the Express & Star the other day and it asks more questions than are posed.

from: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2023/10/10/food-delivery-rider-arrested-for-immigration-offences-after-cycling-down-the-m6/

I can't find it now, but I did see another article about this, where it was claimed that this idiot person was delivering for Just Eats or Deliveroo (can't remember which one, but it was one of 'those')

Aside from the fact that cyclists really shouldn't be riding on the motorway, it is interesting that this person was charged with 'immigration offences', and then that was it, story over.

No information about his immigration status, and no questions about how he was able to gain employment with this company.

"Immigration offences" suggests to me that this person was an illegal immigrant. From where they came I do not know, but it would seem that they had no right to be in this country.

Which then raises the question of how they were able to gain employment as a delivery driver?

Do Just Eat, Deliveroo et al have any due process in place to vet their applicants? How on earth do illegal immigrants gain 'legal employment' and pay income tax, national insurance etc?

How many other illegal immigrants are there working for these companies as delivery drivers?

There's too many delivery riders for the demand in many areas, so you often get put on waiting list when you sign up to be a rider. You also need to use photo ID. Even though it's low paying work, the rider accounts can be fairly sought-after because of the waiting list to be a rider, to the point where people rent out their rider accounts for others to use.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

There's too many delivery riders to meet the demand in many areas, so you often get put on waiting list when you sign up to be a rider. You also need to use photo ID. Even though it's low paying work, the rider accounts can be fairly sought-after because of the waiting list to be a rider, to the point where people rent out their rider accounts for others to use.

Well thanks, that was certainly eye-opening!

It certainly explains why so many 'economic migrants' are desperate to come to the UK, and why there is so much people-trafficking going on.

And that Reddit thread is 4 years old now, so this has been going on for some time!

It must be relatively easy for someone 'legit' to set up loads of Deliveroo accounts and then 'sub-let' them out to illegals, taking a cut of the earnings in the process.

This is scandalous, but I'm not surprised that this has never been investigated or questioned by the mainstream media. And most normies wouldn't care otherwise, they just keep ordering their takeaways via these apps and just assume that their driver is above board and legit.

Deliveroo is facilitating illegal immigration and human trafficking.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

And that Reddit thread is 4 years old now, so this has been going on for some time!

Yeh, it still goes on. I was between jobs a while back, and signed up to a couple of these food delivery apps to try some gig work, but got put on a waiting list (still on it).

email.jpg

I told my sister about the waiting list, and she told me there are people that rent their accounts. I never bothered with that though as it sounded sketchy to me, and I started a new regular job in the end anyway.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1

Maybe a sign of these changing times, but a shop opened recently in my neck of the woods (on Leith Walk) that rents out some sort of bicycle contraption to delivery riders. Nothing else in the shop other than scores of these strange delivery bikes. 

I say "bicycle contraption" as these things look like they could be 'hybrid' with a battery pack. Almost all delivery riders I see in Edinburgh are using these bikes. 

It's perhaps not really noteworthy, but in an age - and place - where traditional retail seems to be struggling, this rental shop is always busy.... and by the looks of the clientele (I know, I'm being prejudicial), none of them were born on these shores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

At least wanted to work...

7 hours ago, Human10 said:

At least wanted to work...

That's fair enough, but these illegal immigrants are being exploited as cheap slave labour, being paid less than minimum wage, and often forced to live in atrocious overcrowded living conditions.

Human traffickers and people smugglers sell a 'dream' to these people, but it is just a big lie.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Where i live they seem to be ferried off the rubber dinghys. With a e-bike, just eat backpack and smart phone -starter packs waiting for them. 

I find it very eerie and dystopian that these guys will be flying about on these e-bikes in years to come whilst the streets lay empty when no one can afford to drive anymore. 

Dare i say they’ll be ferrying our rations door to door in the 15 minute biometric hellholes. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 2020member said:

Where i live they seem to be ferried off the rubber dinghys. With a e-bike, just eat backpack and smart phone -starter packs waiting for them. 

I find it very eerie and dystopian that these guys will be flying about on these e-bikes in years to come whilst the streets lay empty when no one can afford to drive anymore. 

Dare i say they’ll be ferrying our rations door to door in the 15 minute biometric hellholes. 

They're the new slave labour class.

It's ironic how the wokesters continue to complain about 'historical slavery' and go about toppling statues, insisting street names be changed, or demanding that 'reparations be paid', while there is a whole new level of slavery happening right now, which they are facilitating with their 'refugees welcome' placards.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

It's ironic how the wokesters continue to complain about 'historical slavery' and go about toppling statues, insisting street names be changed, or demanding that 'reparations be paid', while there is a whole new level of slavery happening right now, which they are facilitating with their 'refugees welcome' placards.

It is incredible how the overton window shifts isn’t it?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Translations:

"In Wolt, the leading digital application for delivery, instead of a Christmas bonus, they decided to 'treat' the workers with additional labor from India."

"While companies are paying Christmas bonuses, they have created the worst situation for us since Wolt existed. Overnight they brought another 100 to 120 Indians, because of which our earnings dropped by 60 percent, and the kilometers went up. Half of the people will not have the minimum wage, and they work 11-12 hours of work - says a long-term employee of this company who claims that it has never been worse."

"Croatia's minimum wage is four Indian wages, so they don't complain and apparently don't see a problem in this way of doing business."

https://slobodnadalmacija.hr/split/splitski-dostavljaci-bjesne-doslo-je-100-indijaca-bez-vozacke-ruse-cijenu-rada-jedva-zivim-wolt-nije-istina-1351581

Not sure how legit that site is.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

On 12/31/2023 at 2:37 PM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Translations:

"In Wolt, the leading digital application for delivery, instead of a Christmas bonus, they decided to 'treat' the workers with additional labor from India."

"While companies are paying Christmas bonuses, they have created the worst situation for us since Wolt existed. Overnight they brought another 100 to 120 Indians, because of which our earnings dropped by 60 percent, and the kilometers went up. Half of the people will not have the minimum wage, and they work 11-12 hours of work - says a long-term employee of this company who claims that it has never been worse."

"Croatia's minimum wage is four Indian wages, so they don't complain and apparently don't see a problem in this way of doing business."

https://slobodnadalmacija.hr/split/splitski-dostavljaci-bjesne-doslo-je-100-indijaca-bez-vozacke-ruse-cijenu-rada-jedva-zivim-wolt-nije-istina-1351581

Not sure how legit that site is.

I remember seeing a story over Christmas about how a plane-load of Indians flying from Dubai (UAE) to Nicaragua was forced to land in Paris, where the passengers were held on suspicion of being 'trafficked'. There was a later brief 'follow-up' story that stated the 310 (I think it was) Indians were eventually flown back to Mumbai in India.

I was only reading the BBC News via the red button service on my parents TV, and that doesn't show news articles in full.

My mum did tell me that she saw something "on MSN" (🤨) which said these Indians were travelling to Nicaragua so they could then try and get into the USA.

If that is true, then what the hell is going on, and why is nobody questioning this?

310 Indians would have already paid to travel to Dubai, and then all flew together on the same flight to Nicaragua, so they could then join the convoy of illegal immigrants heading north to the USA so they could try and claim asylum?

If that is not organised people-smuggling, then I don't know what is.

Unless it was just a "massive coincidence" that 310 Indian nationals were all simultaneously travelling from the Middle East to Central America, somebody must have paid for and organised this flight.

What really disappoints me now is how so many people will just take these news stories at 'face value' and just accept what they're told without asking any further questions.

As I said earlier in this thread, too many people are more concerned with 'historical slavery' while completely oblivious to the 'modern slavery' which is ongoing and seemingly getting worse.

• Like 1

There are many people working for Uber eats who aren’t actually the person on the ID card or app. 
sometimes, it says that the food is begging delivered by a lady, and when the order comes it is clearly a man. I assumed that legal residents apply for the job then get one of their friends or relatives to do it, but maybe it’s an organised scam. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dustpanandbrush said:

I assumed that legal residents apply for the job then get one of their friends or relatives to do it, but maybe it’s an organised scam. 

As pointed out earlier in this thread, Deliveroo make it clear that it is permissible to 'rent out' your rider account for others to use, but it is up to that account holder to ensure that anyone using that account is 'legal' and 'above board', ie passed any necessary criminal checks etc.

I suspected that other delivery operators might have the same or similar policies in place, and your post pretty much confirms that.

Deliveroo et al are essentially passing on the 'burden of responsibility' onto the rider account holder.

Despite any protestations to the contrary, the basic message is "we don't care as long as someone delivers the damn food order on time".

Yes, I definitely feel like there is an 'organised scam' aspect to this, and it is disappearing under many peoples' radar it seems.

Because the vast majority of people who order takeaways from these apps don't care who delivers their order, they just want to stuff their faces with crap because they can't be bothered to prepare a basic meal for themselves, or even get up off their sofa to walk to a local takeaway.

Not dismissing people's opinions and worries and I really think it depends where we live to understand what's going on. However where I live the delivery drivers are all polite and go the extra mile so it is hard to feel any of them are a threat. Our postman is a local but has a face like a yard of tripe and can't be bothered looking at me. He even asked me if I'd complained about him once and I was flabbergasted because I wouldn't have dreamt of doing such a thing but I could tell he thought I had! Now if any of those delivery drivers dares to poo in my shrubs I will rapidly change my mind.

55 minutes ago, Useyournous said:

Not dismissing people's opinions and worries and I really think it depends where we live to understand what's going on. However where I live the delivery drivers are all polite and go the extra mile so it is hard to feel any of them are a threat. Our postman is a local but has a face like a yard of tripe and can't be bothered looking at me. He even asked me if I'd complained about him once and I was flabbergasted because I wouldn't have dreamt of doing such a thing but I could tell he thought I had! Now if any of those delivery drivers dares to poo in my shrubs I will rapidly change my mind.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am pretty sure there are plenty of good honest people who choose to work for these food delivery companies. And yes, I think it pretty much does depend on where you live - I guess here in Birmingham you are probably more likely to get some driver who can barely speak English and just wants to give you your food so they can race off and collect the next order.

I never said I saw them as 'a threat' though, quite the opposite in fact, it appals me that these people are being exploited and abused, being used as 'subcontractors' to do a job that probably doesn't pay that well to start with. What concerns me is that there is a new 'under-class' of modern slavery that is going on under peoples' noses, and they don't even realise it is happening.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:00 PM, Dustpanandbrush said:

There are many people working for Uber eats who aren’t actually the person on the ID card or app. 
sometimes, it says that the food is begging delivered by a lady, and when the order comes it is clearly a man. I assumed that legal residents apply for the job then get one of their friends or relatives to do it, but maybe it’s an organised scam. 

I think that they have to allow their "workers" to sub out the deliveries because if they didn't, the "workers" would be employees,  not self-employed, and would have to be paid pensions,  holiday pay and sick pay - and they'd have to pay employers NI.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:01 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

As I said earlier in this thread, I am pretty sure there are plenty of good honest people who choose to work for these food delivery companies. And yes, I think it pretty much does depend on where you live - I guess here in Birmingham you are probably more likely to get some driver who can barely speak English and just wants to give you your food so they can race off and collect the next order.

I never said I saw them as 'a threat' though, quite the opposite in fact, it appals me that these people are being exploited and abused, being used as 'subcontractors' to do a job that probably doesn't pay that well to start with. What concerns me is that there is a new 'under-class' of modern slavery that is going on under peoples' noses, and they don't even realise it is happening.

No Grumpy Owl, I didn't think you did. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

On 1/1/2024 at 7:25 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Yes, I definitely feel like there is an 'organised scam' aspect to this, and it is disappearing under many peoples' radar it seems.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:01 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Ah, so it's all becoming obvious now...

Channel migrants given right to work in UK

Channel migrants have been quietly given the right to work in sectors including care, construction and agriculture and can still retain access to state-subsidised bed and board under a Home Office scheme...

from: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/19/channel-migrants-given-right-to-work/

The article is paywalled, so I can't see the rest of it, but it comes as no surprise really.

You can be sure that as well as 'care, construction and agriculture', the list of sectors will include "all the other shitty jobs" that the native British people don't want to do, not for a fairly decent salary anyway.

Now we understand why all the Tory rhetoric of "stopping the boats" was just that, empty rhetoric, and why our Government was simply not interested in doing so, and why the 'Rwanda scheme' was doomed to failure.

Here you are, your new slave-labour class, being imported into our country to fill all the low-skilled, low wage jobs that were previously filled by desperate EU immigrants.

• Thanks 1