Can vitamin & supplements make you sick?

Mr H

Curious to know if all these vitamins and supplements pills could actually make you sick?

They're often coated in something and sometimes it's difficult to know what's actually in them and the quality of ingredients. It might contain vit x or whatever but where did they get it from, how was it made?

Are there particular brands that are safer/better than others?

Anything particular to watch out for in labelling?

11 hours ago, Mr H said:

Curious to know if all these vitamins and supplements pills could actually make you sick?

They're often coated in something and sometimes it's difficult to know what's actually in them and the quality of ingredients. It might contain vit x or whatever but where did they get it from, how was it made?

This is a difficult area. I take supplements as i dont eat fish or much veg. You should get your vits and minerals from what you eat,but that isnt always possible. I use a local health shop in my town. Yes some are coated because they need to reach your stomach before being destroyed by gut acid. As if there are good or bad i think its hard to say its a big business. Most vits are compounds made in labs,some are syntheszied by chemical ways. I use one or two by viridian. 

If it works or not who knows, If it makes you ill,not in the short term anyway. But any drug natural or big pharma would take 10 years or more to see any kind of real results. So to answer your question i hope not but its too soon to know. Hope that helps a little

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr H said:

If you take silly amounts of some things - selenium, for example, you will be ill. You might also be allergic/sensitive to certain fillers in tablets and capsules. Life Extension are expensive, but generally good as a make. I've also had no trouble with most things from Now Foods, Biocare and Epigenetics. Been taking many things since the early 80s, so should have seen problems if I was going to.

14 minutes ago, k_j_evans said:

If you take silly amounts of some things - selenium, for example, you will be ill. You might also be allergic/sensitive to certain fillers in tablets and capsules. Life Extension are expensive, but generally good as a make. I've also had no trouble with most things from Now Foods, Biocare and Epigenetics. Been taking many things since the early 80s, so should have seen problems if I was going to.

Awesome. Thank you so much. 🙏

• 2 months later...

Although mainstream medicine often lies, they are not the same as these supplements.
These are all based on in vitro chemical analysis. Stones contain calcium. Something like this.

In fact, in the human body, not only do these not cause any good, but they tend to be worse if they are sick. Of course, if the dose is very small, they cannot cause harm, because the human body can detoxify these.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, Captainlove said:

This is a difficult area. I take supplements as i dont eat fish or much veg. You should get your vits and minerals from what you eat,but that isnt always possible. I use a local health shop in my town. Yes some are coated because they need to reach your stomach before being destroyed by gut acid. As if there are good or bad i think its hard to say its a big business. Most vits are compounds made in labs,some are syntheszied by chemical ways. I use one or two by viridian. 

If it works or not who knows, If it makes you ill,not in the short term anyway. But any drug natural or big pharma would take 10 years or more to see any kind of real results. So to answer your question i hope not but its too soon to know. Hope that helps a little

I’ve found Viridian NAC to be useless, Doctors Best (an American import) is far more potent and does the job at a cheaper price, although Doctors Best Nattokinase is also next to useless, I’ve found their bromelian to be excellent which sorted out IBS/ certain allergies (nightshade) and made everything feel healthy. 

I think the filler in a lot of supplements causes issues. One ingredient they have in common with big pharma is magnesium stearate. I’m not sure this stuff is too good for you long term 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:19 PM, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

I’ve found Viridian NAC to be useless, Doctors Best (an American import) is far more potent and does the job at a cheaper price, although Doctors Best Nattokinase is also next to useless, I’ve found their bromelian to be excellent which sorted out IBS/ certain allergies (nightshade) and made everything feel healthy. 

I think the filler in a lot of supplements causes issues. One ingredient they have in common with big pharma is magnesium stearate. I’m not sure this stuff is too good for you long term 

Im not sure about magnesium stearate i would have to look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Vitamins are poorly absorbed by the body, far better off eating natural foods, that is if you can call the gmo poisioned tampered crap they feed us as food

But vitamins are cheap, so perhaps taking a tablet a day may be of some benefit. Vitamin manufacturers do make a lot of claims concerning their laboratory experiment results, but in real life their products are strangely ineffectiveive

So ditch the tablets and eat more fruits and vegetables, they contain acids and enzymes especially if raw which will give you energy and life, they contain fructose : the muscles love this stuff found in grapes which gives you strength and revives your brain, eat a bunch of grapes and 5 minutes later you will feel alive and be able to think more clearly, pomegrantes are good for your heart, cranberries are good for bladder, black pepper heals your veins and arteries. The body can store vitamins and minerals so the more you eat the more your store house fills up. Aim for at least 5 fruits a day, far better off with 10 !

They did a study some time ago that concluded that vitamin supplements simply wash through the body and have no effect. I suspect big pharma owns that industry anyway as well known naturpaths were banned around covid time.

Ditto diet industry. We are healthier without all the extras generally, unless your diet is all processed crap.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RobinJ said:

They did a study some time ago that concluded that vitamin supplements simply wash through the body and have no effect. I suspect big pharma owns that industry anyway as well known naturpaths were banned around covid time.

Ditto diet industry. We are healthier without all the extras generally, unless your diet is all processed crap.

I heard about that with water-soluble vitamins like C. If you take too much you just end up with expensive pee. So if I've got a cold or something and want extra vit C I'll space it out through the day. 

On the other hand, oil soluble vitamins like A do accumulate in the body and we can overdose with toxic results so be careful folks! 

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense to me that it is the bioavailability of the vitamins and minerals absorbed that is key to health benefits of  supplements/ foods  ,so not the quantity but quality of the eg freeze dried plant powder etc 

Edited by Talorgan

Being an athlete i have tried just about everything to improve performance over the years, and   vitamins are at the bottom of my recommended list. Good natural foods, exercise, are at the top. Herb teas are not bad, spicy food can be of benefit. Having an active mind, reading, is all good. Good clean reverse osmosis filtered water is brilliant, simply because the public water is so crap. That's what improved my health the most staying away from the public tap water.

The problem with supplements and the such like is nowadays the manufacturers use sporty people to advertise them, and impressionable people will buy products if their favourite celeb is holding the bottle. Saw satanist joshua's latest fight and he kept shoving a bottle of lucozade into the camera, then sipping on it and smiling like it was the elixer of life - how many of these spokemen actually take the crap they sponsor ? Or are they too busy counting the cash.

Here's one guy i wish would take the products he endorses :

Untitledeee.jpg.13fe272e4bfecd1533f3bddc492606de.jpg

Edited by jack121

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Two books that you may enjoy:

Vitamania: Our Obsessive Quest for Nutritional Perfection, by Catherine Price (It’s a history book, [about vitamins]. The author touches on the topic of some supplements can be harmful if taken in excess.)

You Are What You Eat, by Dr. Gillian McKeith. (She describes what plant foods you need and why. In the beginning she explains how she came upon her journey as a medical professional in the field.)

Dr. Daniel Amen can be a resource on this topic as well, from my observations. He is a neuroscientist in love with brain scans- He believes in looking at what he is medically treating. On the you tube, one can find videos where he talks about supplements. Some are quite short. [He has books published on health topics, focus on meeting the nutritional needs of your brain.]

[added in edit]

🙏

Edited by Eagle Eye