How to release emotions?

Mr H

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

So a lot of talk on here about how emotions can make us sick if we hold onto them and don't release them.

So here I am asking for ideas on how best to do this?

Thx

Maybe just the fact that we can realise some emotions are bad to hold onto is enough for our subconscious to get busy in the background amending stuff? I dunno

Consciously directing which emotions to fade out might be helpful too , I really dunno it’s a difficult one 

5 hours ago, Mr H said:

I learnt couple techniques. But not always appropriate. Involved lot of screaming, stomping and banging....

Wondering what else is out there?

Sounds like Primal Scream or something?  Maybe the best technique depends on what type of emotion is the problem. I had counselling once, talking about myself to the counsellor which resulted in emotions coming up and getting released through the talking, crying etc. There must be lots of other types of counselling and therapy to work on emotions, but it's not my expertise and I can't really recommend any in particular. 

I had antidepressants once, they released the feelings of depression through the biochemical process. It worked quite well apart from a few side-effects. 

I also use a combination of mindfulness, breathing and meditation techniques which help with chronic emotions like anxiety, apart from spiritual reasons for doing it. For example letting-go meditation. Breathwork can be powerful, like shamanic breathing. 

The other thing that works for me sometimes is going for long walks in the remotest wildest places I can get to. Once when I was faced with a particular bundle of relationship problems and uncertainty what to do next in life, I went on a walking holiday by myself with a notebook where I journalled it all out and helped me resolve my problems and decide on a way forward. 

In fact journalling is a method I've used to safely express myself in private and get emotions down on paper.  Though nowadays I've seen people put their intimate journals into forums and get support from others.  

Maybe the exercise is part of it too as well as being in nature.  Having a good aerobic workout can help shift stuck energies sometimes.  

Edited by Campion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr H said:

I learnt couple techniques. But not always appropriate. Involved lot of screaming, stomping and banging....

Wondering what else is out there?

Reminds me of those rage rooms you can hire for an hour, they give you a sledgehammer and set you loose on old tvs, furniture etc. Releases pent up aggression.

This is a great business idea, scouring council tips for old stuff to stock the room with, charge £100 for an hour session. Excellent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

Thank you.

@Campion what is shamanic breathing?

🙏

I heard about it on Leo Gura's channel, he said: 

"Shamanic Breathing - An extremely powerful deep breathing technique that can be used to heal emotional trauma, purge neurosis, and create altered states of consciousness." 

I don't do it very often as it's powerful, use with caution! Mostly I do yogic and mindfulness type breathing for regular use. 

Edited by Campion

2 minutes ago, Campion said:

I heard about it on Leo Gura's channel, he said: 

"Shamanic Breathing - An extremely powerful deep breathing technique that can be used to heal emotional trauma, purge neurosis, and create altered states of consciousness." 

I don't do it very often as it's powerful, use with caution! Mostly I do yogic and mindfulness type breathing for regular use. 

Awesome. I'll give it a try.

This may sound really simple, but a good way that worked for me was to write stuff down. Years ago when I was dealing with various traumas I decided to start writing a kind of life story. 

Its a well known psychological trick to help you process and purge. Some go further and set fire to the pages to physically let go in a kind if ceremony. I kept mine because looking back is very useful to be able to witness your progression as you move past it.

Also, I find that learning to accept our faults and to understand where those emotions began is hugely helpful.

The single most useful thing I did was have an NLP life coach for 3 months because there are many tools in NLP to help you move forward and to view where you are in your life objectively. 

I also used music to release emotion.

We are what we choose to focus on.

Understanding the root of the emotion is key too. Anxiety, as with many other emotions, is born from fear. So what is the root fear?

Joe Dispenza has done great work on emotional issues. Worth finding his series on that. The name escapes me right now.

Edited by RobinJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RobinJ said:

This may sound really simple, but a good way that worked for me was to write stuff down. Years ago when I was dealing with various traumas I decided to start writing a kind of life story. 

Its a well known psychological trick to help you process and purge. Some go further and set fire to the pages to physically let go in a kind if ceremony. I kept mine because looking back is very useful to be able to witness your progression as you move past it.

Also, I find that learning to accept our faults and to understand where those emotions began is hugely helpful.

The single most useful thing I did was have an NLP life coach for 3 months because there are many tools in NLP to help you move forward and to view where you are in your life objectively. 

I also used music to release emotion.

We are what we choose to focus on.

Understanding the root of the emotion is key too. Anxiety, as with many other emotions, is born from fear. So what is the root fear?

Joe Dispenza has done great work on emotional issues. Worth finding his series on that. The name escapes me right now.

Awesome Ty.

Sometimes simple is best.

I've never done this, but just after reading Robin's suggestion and thinking out loud. I guess that might be why folks write diaries? If you do it as regular practice, then you can deal with the little stuff before it becomes big stuff. 

6 hours ago, Mr H said:

I've never done this, but just after reading Robin's suggestion and thinking out loud. I guess that might be why folks write diaries? If you do it as regular practice, then you can deal with the little stuff before it becomes big stuff. 

Yeah  its a very powerful tool  more than most realise. When I started my 'soul journey' I naturally wrote it all down. Every dream, vision, videos or stuff that I knew meant something, all of it. Sometimes I'd draw images of what I was shown too so I could keep that visual image. I include any emotions, colours, feelings, numbers. Its all useful.

Ultimately it helped me connect a lot of dots. Super useful. 

Really, I view it all as a giant jigsaw ( by that I mean my personal journey and the bigger one we are all involved in)  we each hold a piece of the whole and each piece is equally important. By understanding ourself, we see the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:18 AM, Campion said:

Sounds like Primal Scream or something?  Maybe the best technique depends on what type of emotion is the problem. I had counselling once, talking about myself to the counsellor which resulted in emotions coming up and getting released through the talking, crying etc. There must be lots of other types of counselling and therapy to work on emotions, but it's not my expertise and I can't really recommend any in particular. 

I had antidepressants once, they released the feelings of depression through the biochemical process. It worked quite well apart from a few side-effects. 

I also use a combination of mindfulness, breathing and meditation techniques which help with chronic emotions like anxiety, apart from spiritual reasons for doing it. For example letting-go meditation. Breathwork can be powerful, like shamanic breathing. 

The other thing that works for me sometimes is going for long walks in the remotest wildest places I can get to. Once when I was faced with a particular bundle of relationship problems and uncertainty what to do next in life, I went on a walking holiday by myself with a notebook where I journalled it all out and helped me resolve my problems and decide on a way forward. 

In fact journalling is a method I've used to safely express myself in private and get emotions down on paper.  Though nowadays I've seen people put their intimate journals into forums and get support from others.  

Maybe the exercise is part of it too as well as being in nature.  Having a good aerobic workout can help shift stuck energies sometimes.  

I actually did Primal Therapy for a few years back in the early 2000's and found it really good for dealing with everyday emotions and current day 'triggers'. As a coping mechanism it was an incredible tool to use to both cope with daily life, but also to connect it with old wounds and trauma's. In fact this is where I witnessed what I talked about in another thread the other day; the core emotions behind the present day anger that most of us experience. 

As a therapy to heal the deepest wounds, I am not sure Primal Therapy is really is successful for that, at least not in my experience and in those I was friends with from that time in my life. 

• Like 2

Another way which I just remembered is CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy. Super quick at getting to the root of issues and releasing them.

Mostly I think its about being honest with ourselves and digging out the stuff that's deeply buried. Its very cathartic to get it all out. Its like when you feel nausea, the worst part is before you throw up. After you always feel better 😌 

2 hours ago, RobinJ said:

Yeah  its a very powerful tool  more than most realise. When I started my 'soul journey' I naturally wrote it all down. Every dream, vision, videos or stuff that I knew meant something, all of it. Sometimes I'd draw images of what I was shown too so I could keep that visual image. I include any emotions, colours, feelings, numbers. Its all useful.

Really, I view it all as a giant jigsaw ( by that I mean my personal journey and the bigger one we are all involved in)  we each hold a piece of the whole and each piece is equally important. By understanding ourself, we see the bigger picture. 

I agree Robin. Although I don't find 'journaling' too successful for emotional release, I have found it a very helpful tool in accessing other parts of me like the Higher Self, 'Observer' aspect, and parts of the subconscious. In a way it is a little like Freud's 'free association'. I have often been very surprised reading back some of the journaling, or the insights and wisdom that comes forth. It is also interesting if you come across it a few years later, how different' you notice the communication style is, or the level of consciousness. It as if another 'person' wrote it, which in many ways it is.  

5 hours ago, RobinJ said:

Thanks. You've given lots of ideas to work with....

3 hours ago, BornFreeNowAgain said:

I actually did Primal Therapy for a few years back in the early 2000's and found it really good for dealing with everyday emotions and current day 'triggers'. As a coping mechanism it was an incredible tool to use to both cope with daily life, but also to connect it with old wounds and trauma's. In fact this is where I witnessed what I talked about in another thread the other day; the core emotions behind the present day anger that most of us experience. 

As a therapy to heal the deepest wounds, I am not sure Primal Therapy is really is successful for that, at least not in my experience and in those I was friends with from that time in my life. 

Thanks.

I'm not sure I was doing primal therapy, maybe similar?

Screaming into pillow, stomping and banging on the floor, screaming with body movements that kind of thing.

I agree it doesn't get rid of root cause - the story. The only thing that helped me get rid of story was plant medicines. But did help still......

4 hours ago, Mr H said:

Thanks.

I'm not sure I was doing primal therapy, maybe similar?

Screaming into pillow, stomping and banging on the floor, screaming with body movements that kind of thing.

I agree it doesn't get rid of root cause - the story. The only thing that helped me get rid of story was plant medicines. But did help still......

Yeah, some of the 'techniques' to access feeling and emotions sounds similar. It is a bit of an inaccurate myth that Primal Therapy was all just hitting pillows, walls and wailing on the floor. Yes, those things did exist as 'tools' to help people to access the deeper stuff and to bring the feelings more to the surface, but it was a lot more complex than that, especially in later years. 

But as I say, nothing has come close to the 'relief' or 'catharsis' that Primal Therapy brought after an emotional release. It also brought through a much healthier way of relating to the World and others because the 'honesty' of the Therapy often translated out to the relationships we have. All in all, it was the thing that started me on my healing journey and I learned a lot of techniques and theory that have helped in my personal and professional life. But, it was not quite the life-changing therapy that I and many expected. It is always hard to quantify which parts of something worked the most or least, but I would say the Spiritual path has brought much more healing and growth. 

It is only my personal opinion, but Primal Therapy is the 'long way around'. But I do still think it is of great benefit to release trapped emotions if we can. I do this more energetically now than physically but just the other day I had a really deep emotional release which felt damn good. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BornFreeNowAgain said:

Yeah, some of the 'techniques' to access feeling and emotions sounds similar. It is a bit of an inaccurate myth that Primal Therapy was all just hitting pillows, walls and wailing on the floor. Yes, those things did exist as 'tools' to help people to access the deeper stuff and to bring the feelings more to the surface, but it was a lot more complex than that, especially in later years. 

But as I say, nothing has come close to the 'relief' or 'catharsis' that Primal Therapy brought after an emotional release. It also brought through a much healthier way of relating to the World and others because the 'honesty' of the Therapy often translated out to the relationships we have. All in all, it was the thing that started me on my healing journey and I learned a lot of techniques and theory that have helped in my personal and professional life. But, it was not quite the life-changing therapy that I and many expected. It is always hard to quantify which parts of something worked the most or least, but I would say the Spiritual path has brought much more healing and growth. 

It is only my personal opinion, but Primal Therapy is the 'long way around'. But I do still think it is of great benefit to release trapped emotions if we can. I do this more energetically now than physically but just the other day I had a really deep emotional release which felt damn good. 

Yes. Once you do open the spiritual closet door all kinds of things change. It takes time, effort, and a real will to change though, and most are just too lazy or just want an easy life, hence those types will be led by the nose into the control grid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr H said:

Agreed. Uncomfortable emotions aren't the root problem, they are your mind & body's response to the situation you're in, so they're a kind of communication from your subconscious to your conscious mind, a call to action, to change something.  Unless you've got a malfunction in the system like me with my anxiety firing off unnecessarily. 

But then situations change anyway, what caused a painful feeling may have finished, and we're left with the memory of it, the story of it. Problems from childhood, old relationships, etc can still make us feel bad just from the memory of it. It's not about getting rid of the past, but putting the past in the past. A Buddhist monk at a retreat I went to once likened Buddhist mindfulness, being present in the here and now,  with Christian forgiveness. 

Edited by Campion
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 8:53 AM, Mr H said:

emotions can make us sick if we hold onto them and don't release them.

I think that talking online is a form of release for me.

I feel like i have been living in a parallel world to most people for a very long time now and have been waiting in vain for people around me to join me in seeing the world the way that i see it. I really thought that the whole covid thing was going to be a wake-up call for many but if anything people are more withdrawn

Its not even an ego issue of wanting some sort of vindication as there are real world consequences for wrong choices. For example the pressure to vaccinate your children. people around you or in the system who in a sane world would be your support instead just become part of the problem, like a kind of kafkaesque nightmare

The crazy thing is that all of the negative emotions could be transformed into something amazing if everyone would just be honest about what's going on because then we really could 'all be in it together' and could brainstorm solutions and work together to fix all the problems. Imagine if everyone was pulling in the same direction with the same understanding of all the problems facing us and how they were harming us

But instead we are left with disbelief at their ignorance and even a sense of being let down. David speaks about how we can only see visible light and therefore can't see most of what is out there but the reality is that most people can't even see what is IN visible light. That big blue dome above our heads is regularly streaked with chemtrails and yet people can't even see what is writ large above their own heads across the biggest canvas of their visible reality....

I mean how much CO2 are all those geoengineering flights churning out?

It's a madhouse and functioning within the madhouse requires you to play a part in a way which is not healthy because it is not authentic. But the more authentic you are the more you fall out of alignment with the madhouse. As i say it could all turn into the most incredible adventure for everyone if we all just looked with honest eyes and spoke the truth as then we could turn our minds to building something instead of just surviving the matrix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Campion said:

Agreed. Uncomfortable emotions aren't the root problem, they are your mind & body's response to the situation you're in, so they're a kind of communication from your subconscious to your conscious mind, a call to action, to change something.  Unless you've got a malfunction in the system like me with my anxiety firing off unnecessarily. 

But then situations change anyway, what caused a painful feeling may have finished, and we're left with the memory of it, the story of it. Problems from childhood, old relationships, etc can still make us feel bad just from the memory of it. It's not about getting rid of the past, but putting the past in the past. A Buddhist monk at a retreat I went to once likened Buddhist mindfulness, being present in the here and now,  with Christian forgiveness. 

Arthur Janov (the founder of Primal Therapy) used to say "Feelings are the Royal Road to the Unconscious", which was a counter to Freud's ideas about dreams being the Royal Road. So, emotions I think do hold a place, or perhaps more accurately, they CAN be valuable information or an 'access point' to heal old trauma's, old feelings and thus eventually to heal the beliefs and conclusions about 'self' that are often the result of trauma, which is the true plague. Gabor Mate often talks about this; "Trauma is a Greek word for wound. Literally that's what it means. So when you understand that, then you realize...trauma is not what happens to you. Trauma is what happens inside you as a result of what happened to you. 

"Trauma is not the event that inflicted the wound. So, the trauma is not the sexual abuse, the trauma is not the war. Trauma is not the abandonment. The trauma is not the inability of your parents to see you for who you were. Trauma is the wound that you sustained as a result. So my wound wasn't that my mother gave me [away temporarily] to a stranger [when I was a child]. My wound was that I made that mean that I wasn't lovable and I wasn't wanted and I was being abandoned, which is a good thing. Because if the trauma was what happened to you, guess what? It' ll never unhappen."

What Gabor Mate is saying here, is what is often termed the 'meaning making', or as I said earlier, the conclusions made about our experiences. It is often what is 'left over' from the trauma; "I am unlovable', 'the World is a scary place', 'everyone is out to get me', 'I cannot be myself and be loved'. However, emotions are only ONE of the ways that we can heal these trauma's.

For many I met in Primal Therapy no amount of smashing the punchbag, the walls or the deep sobbing that could last an hour, were enough to heal the old wounds or the conclusions about oneself. I think Primal Therapy offered so much, but it also lacked something. What Primal Therapy was 'looking for' was often the insights that came from such Primal experiences (Primal's) and no doubt the insights that came from a true Primal (which is a connected feeling on all levels) were very powerful, but you can get those insights in other ways that don't require the deep emotional release. 

One of the biggest insights I ever had was outside of Primal Therapy and it really shifted so much for me. From that experience, a lot changed for me, and this was just through talking things through. So for me at least, anything that will shift the core beliefs about self and the deeply held conclusions about self are the keys to healing and those might be different for each person. I think Primal Therapy and the like, appeal to those who are quite badly 'damaged' as a result of their early life. Someone less 'damaged' may be better suited to other modalities. 

Edited by BornFreeNowAgain
  • Like 2