Rishi Sunak defends his plan to phase out smoking

Mono Inc

'

Plans to phase out the sale of cigarettes in England will be the "biggest public health intervention in a generation", Rishi Sunak has said.

The PM told the BBC there was "no safe level of smoking" when asked about restricting people's right to choose.

His plan seeks to raise the legal age of smoking every year by a year so that eventually no-one can buy tobacco.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67010681

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mono Inc said:

'

Plans to phase out the sale of cigarettes in England will be the "biggest public health intervention in a generation", Rishi Sunak has said.

The PM told the BBC there was "no safe level of smoking" when asked about restricting people's right to choose.

His plan seeks to raise the legal age of smoking every year by a year so that eventually no-one can buy tobacco.'

Sunak had just invested 500 million in Moderna, and was one of the main financial instigators of mRNA tech in 2013. 

As we’ve heard, mRNA technology has been developed into an airborne vaccine that you inhale.

You inhale tobacco, which also contains nicotine which affects the circulatory system and may have a positive affect against pathogens/respiratory virus and bacteria. 

Vape juice is synthetic nicotine, veg glycerin and propylene glycol, which could have mRNA tech added during manufacturing. Tobacco is less likely to have this done. Vaping is predominantly a Chinese venture. 

Is smoking tobacco having or will have a deleterious effect on internal/inhalable mRNA uptake, from the injectable vaccine and the inhalable vaccine? 

Rishi wants mRNA in you for sure, it’s his bread and butter, just takin care of business see? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

Sunak had just invested 500 million in Moderna, and was one of the main financial instigators of mRNA tech in 2013. 

As we’ve heard, mRNA technology has been developed into an airborne vaccine that you inhale.

You inhale tobacco, which also contains nicotine which affects the circulatory system and may have a positive affect against pathogens/respiratory virus and bacteria. 

Vape juice is synthetic nicotine, veg glycerin and propylene glycol, which could have mRNA tech added during manufacturing. Tobacco is less likely to have this done. Vaping is predominantly a Chinese venture. 

Is smoking tobacco having or will have a deleterious effect on internal/inhalable mRNA uptake, from the injectable vaccine and the inhalable vaccine? 

Rishi wants mRNA in you for sure, it’s his bread and butter, just takin care of business see? 

You can say what you want nicotine is pesticide itself. It was used till 90's as pesticide. My mom used it to kill aphids. It also rise blood pressure and shrink veins. It prevents Alzheimer and dementia... But same coffee, tea and several other things....Taking one poison to avoid another poison? Hm... Let me think 🤔 When I will see Gates or Sunak smoking I will reconsider my choice 🤣 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mono Inc said:

'

Most people roll their weed with tobacco. Good luck stopping that Raschid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chriswalker said:

Demons do not like tobacco, hence the Amerindians using it in their ceremonies. Who is this unelected WEF parasite stooge to ban tobacco? I do not smoke. Nicotine attaches itself to the ACE2 receptor, the same receptor COVID-19 attaches itself to.

Smudging, like with sage, but internally with tobacco. 
Lung parasites hate it, same with bad bacteria. 

Like with most good, useful things, it’s been jumped on, exploited for profit and made into a toxic lethal shitshow by this f***ed up culture. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chriswalker said:

Demons do not like tobacco, hence the Amerindians using it in their ceremonies. Who is this unelected WEF parasite stooge to ban tobacco? I do not smoke. Nicotine attaches itself to the ACE2 receptor, the same receptor COVID-19 attaches itself to.

1000% in my experience tobacco is good for this purpose, protection but also not bad for health. Whenever I smoke tobacco (MAPACHO) I feel my lungs expand and generally feel great. You are also not meant to inhale as that can damage lungs, not what most folks do.

Cigarettes are a different fish as they added like 3000 chemical to it. These chemicals not good for you. And people taught to inhale 

But still many things not good for you either, and state shouldn't be interfering imo these matters

It will be impractical anyway, continent next door and no way they will give up smoking 

There's an opportunity for an enterprise! Done in a similar way to slimming classes where the nice fluffy sheep pay money to be demoralised and thoroughly humiliated in front of everyone and have it reinforced that they need expensive classes to achieve their miserable goals only to never succeed. " you've gained again my love" It just needs a ridiculous name like " nofags4us". Oh hang on....

• Like 1

On the surface, an interesting idea. It's hard to see any benefit from smoking - but I suspect Sunak may have other more devious plans up his sleeves.

Smoking is viewed as bad and should be eradicated - but we also have vapes that, so far, appear to do very little (if any damage) and are an effective way to switch to something safer (not quit, just eliminate most, if not all, of the risks)

By saying he's phasing out tobacco - this would also give him the power to go after vapes and undo everything that's been done so far. The UK is very much an outlier compared to the rest of the world when it comes to vapes. Most other countries have a strong tobacco lobby and want to keep sending people to their deaths by having them smoke as much as possible. India has banned vapes entirely purely because they need the blood money they get from tobacco taxes, for example. Australia is sending hundreds of thousands to their deaths by regulating vapes so much they're practically flavourless and out of reach from those who really need them, etc... 

According to the WHO, if current trends continue, smoking will kill over a billion people this century (just savour that number for a moment - that's a higher death toll than all the wars ever fought so far combined - and it's completely avoidable). So, the next time you see ANY article on the 'perils of vaping' - just ask yourself why that journalist or self-proclaimed 'expert' isn't expending the same amount of time/energy going after tobacco? It makes no sense whatsoever. We know one of them kills 50% of smokers over the age of 48 (or thereabouts) yet they dedicate all these pages to demonising vaping, etc. The Guardian is probably the leader in this regard if you check out their consistently poorly-researched articles on the perils of vaping (typically one article every month - and always negative) Compare that to their 'anti-tobacco' stories (or lack thereof) and you'll get a better idea of their subversive pro-tobacco agenda.

I suspect this is a ploy for Sunak to bring the UK back in line with the rest of the world - and the demonising of vapes will start soon (ish) in the UK - and the tobacco lobby will be happy again. I sadly suspect that this is his real intention here. 

I say this as someone who smoked for over 25 years and switched to vapes over 6 years ago. 

Edited by ArchonBeliever25421932

Today They Came For the Smokers; Tomorrow it Will be the Coffee Drinkers

The Prime Minister has shown us his limited originality by adopting Jacinda Arden’s policy of phasing out smoking. The arguments for this policy are poor. The argument is, in short, that smoking causes health problems, and that it costs the NHS and hence the government and hence the taxpayer a lot of money. There is some truth to the first part: but the second part is nonsense. The taxes on tobacco are colossal: and it is quite possible that the expectant lives of the Methuselahs untroubled by sudden death in their fifties, sixties and seventies, and who survive into their nineties and hundreds, will cost the NHS much more.

But the subject of tobacco cannot be understood unless we relate it to coffee, to alcohol, to technology, and to politics. And my particular point is about coffee, since I would like to predict that at some point in the future our rulers will announce that we should no longer drink coffee. It will be banned, or phased out. Everyone will pretend they did not drink it. Netflix will show nostalgic and accusatory programmes in which almost everyone in the past is depicted as chain-drinking coffee. In some countries coffee cups in old films will be blurred out by the censor. Sterling Hayden told Joan Crawford in Johnny Guitar that a man only needs “a cup of coffee and a smoke”. Modern film critics will wonder how such a line was passed by the censor.

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/10/08/today-they-came-for-the-smokers-tomorrow-it-will-be-the-coffee-drinkers/

The government also saves a lot of money from the smokers who die young and don't collect their state pensions. I'd wager they also save the government huge sums on top of the colossal taxes they earn. 

For any government that just wants to kill off the elderly who are a burden on state coffers - smoking is the perfect antidote.

19 hours ago, ArchonBeliever25421932 said:

I say this as someone who smoked for over 25 years and switched to vapes over 6 years ago. 

I tried vaping as an alternative to smoking and I think it felt and tasted even more unhealthy? The flavour seems to linger and you can taste it when you cough etc. I think vaping is horrible and so many young people now seem to be doing it as well :-( sadly thinking it's cool. 

I've read ( it may not be true) that vapes are full of heavy metals.... 😳 although it is hard to look all this up because there is limited research and the vapes brands are mostly from China. They must be full of chemicals and synthetic ingredients though, so over a long period can't be as healthy an alternative as people profess. Obviously tobacco snd cigarettes also have a load of added chemicals too. 

Trading standards are apparently dealing with a huge amount of illegal vapes being sold, where either the strength is beyond the limit or the number of puffs.  So if they are safe and healthy how can an increased volume of puffs or strength suddenly make them unhealthy? It's also up to the user how many puffs they do an hour or a day, whether through one or ten vapes. 

Plus all the litter containing batteries created by the disposable ones being chucked everywhere. 

Fortunately I'm finally off the cigarettes (through hypnotherapy) but both are so difficult to stop when you have started young as well and it is such an entrenched habit. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 10:55 AM, ArchonBeliever25421932 said:

On the surface, an interesting idea. It's hard to see any benefit from smoking - but I suspect Sunak may have other more devious plans up his sleeves.

Smoking is viewed as bad and should be eradicated - but we also have vapes that, so far, appear to do very little (if any damage) and are an effective way to switch to something safer (not quit, just eliminate most, if not all, of the risks)

By saying he's phasing out tobacco - this would also give him the power to go after vapes and undo everything that's been done so far. The UK is very much an outlier compared to the rest of the world when it comes to vapes. Most other countries have a strong tobacco lobby and want to keep sending people to their deaths by having them smoke as much as possible. India has banned vapes entirely purely because they need the blood money they get from tobacco taxes, for example. Australia is sending hundreds of thousands to their deaths by regulating vapes so much they're practically flavourless and out of reach from those who really need them, etc... 

According to the WHO, if current trends continue, smoking will kill over a billion people this century (just savour that number for a moment - that's a higher death toll than all the wars ever fought so far combined - and it's completely avoidable). So, the next time you see ANY article on the 'perils of vaping' - just ask yourself why that journalist or self-proclaimed 'expert' isn't expending the same amount of time/energy going after tobacco? It makes no sense whatsoever. We know one of them kills 50% of smokers over the age of 48 (or thereabouts) yet they dedicate all these pages to demonising vaping, etc. The Guardian is probably the leader in this regard if you check out their consistently poorly-researched articles on the perils of vaping (typically one article every month - and always negative) Compare that to their 'anti-tobacco' stories (or lack thereof) and you'll get a better idea of their subversive pro-tobacco agenda.

I suspect this is a ploy for Sunak to bring the UK back in line with the rest of the world - and the demonising of vapes will start soon (ish) in the UK - and the tobacco lobby will be happy again. I sadly suspect that this is his real intention here. 

Good thing too, vapes are a dreadful idea and who says they are safer ...? The manufacturers, their shareholders etc...? They haven't been around long enough for anyone to tell. But I think people should be free to kill themselves in their own way - smoke, even have covid jabs, if they really want to. More likely a way to get digital ID - necessary to find out if you are old enough to buy tobacco.

Looks like the tobacco lobby have done an amazing job with both the posters above this.

Given the advances in science over the last 100 years - do you really believe they don't know the "long-term" effects of vaping?

It's food flavouring, vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol - nothing else.

A simple Google search

"

Is propylene glycol harmful to humans?

Propylene glycol is “generally recognized as safe” by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (FDA 2017). FDA considers an average daily dietary intake of 23 mg/kg of body weight to be safe for persons 2–65 years of age (ATSDR 2008). Various foods, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical products contain propylene glycol."

Is vegetable glycerin in vape safe?

Is vegetable glycerine safe? VG is generally recognised as safe (GRAS) by the US Food and Drug Administration. As VG is vegetable-based, it has a much lower toxicity than PG or nicotine, so it's safe to use in E-Liquids for vaping.

All these substances have been studied to high heaven by scientists. If there was some "mysterious compound" that could cause harm, I strongly suspect that we would have not only found out it by now - but we would have found it years ago. 

Vaping has been around since around the mid 2000s - we have hundreds of thousands of examples of people who have been vaping and are not dead or dying as a result of vaping. We cannot say the same about tobacco - yet it's freely sold in supermarkets, etc and is still very much readily available.

According to the British Medical Association, vaping is 97% safer than tobacco. In later years they said it was probably even safer. 

So, we have what we can scientifically describe as a "safe cigarette" at this point. There are no "heavy metals" or "popcorn lung" or "ivali" etc - if you do even the minimum of research, you'll see all of these vaping myths debunked. It doesn't take a genius to know that this is the tobacco lobby hammering into the general population a "fear" of vaping. A fear that does not exist at all - but the mainstream media in concert with the tobacco companies have done a fantastic job of demonising vapes - and it's working everywhere. Lives that could saved? Millions in the long-term. People the tobacco company are sending to their deaths by demonising vapes? Millions. This is totally avoidable mass-murder on a global scale.

The science is on the side of vaping. There are no dangers - if there were, the tobacco companies would have them plastered over every single billboard you walk past. The compounds have been studied to death by scientists well before anyone started vaping.

If you want to drag out that old chestnut about "we don't know the long-term effects of vaping" then you are parroting exactly what the tobacco companies want you to think and say. 

I will say this - you are lucky if you are in the UK because the tobacco lobby in just about every other country have hammered vapes into the ground and are maintaining a full scale assault on vaping wherever possible - with the loving assistance of most mainstream media outlets.  Combine this with big tobacco infiltrating the vape market solely to destroy it (quite intentionally) from within (Juul - go read some of what the CEO said when they first started and were 'warned' about advertising vapes to kids - it's all laid out bare. They used Juul (disposable vapes) like a Trojan horse to grab the market and then kill it - and again, they've done a fantastic job, sadly) I'm  very much in favour of banning disposable vapes - they should never have been allowed on the market in the first place.

We are sending people to their deaths on a daily basis - we are quite literally killing ourselves by not banning tobacco and shifting over to vapes completely. And there is no scientific reason why we shouldn't be doing this to save lives. None. Zero. Zilch.

For an accurate view of the state of vaping (and the nefarious tactics used by those hell-bent on demonising it) then check out this video here (and the channel) 

Edited by ArchonBeliever25421932
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:33 AM, Malbec said:

I tried vaping as an alternative to smoking and I think it felt and tasted even more unhealthy? The flavour seems to linger and you can taste it when you cough etc. I think vaping is horrible and so many young people now seem to be doing it as well :-( sadly thinking it's cool. 

I've read ( it may not be true) that vapes are full of heavy metals.... 😳 although it is hard to look all this up because there is limited research and the vapes brands are mostly from China. They must be full of chemicals and synthetic ingredients though, so over a long period can't be as healthy an alternative as people profess. Obviously tobacco snd cigarettes also have a load of added chemicals too. 

Trading standards are apparently dealing with a huge amount of illegal vapes being sold, where either the strength is beyond the limit or the number of puffs.  So if they are safe and healthy how can an increased volume of puffs or strength suddenly make them unhealthy? It's also up to the user how many puffs they do an hour or a day, whether through one or ten vapes. 

Plus all the litter containing batteries created by the disposable ones being chucked everywhere. 

Fortunately I'm finally off the cigarettes (through hypnotherapy) but both are so difficult to stop when you have started young as well and it is such an entrenched habit. 

The thing is with vaping, the heavy metals, toxic residues etc are found in the materials used in the heating coil and it’s housing. 
As it heats up the metals expand and release dangerous particles into the juice, also from the plastic surrounding the coil.

Another point is that the flavour concentrates used to make the vape juice taste nice are food grade flavourings, they come directly from the food/catering industry and are meant to be eaten- not inhaled into the lungs. 

Propylene glycol seriously dehydrates the body.

Ive been running into problems with vaping since using it to quit smoking, and am now finding smoking a small amount of tobacco again is far less harmful than full on vaping. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ArchonBeliever25421932 said:

Looks like the tobacco lobby have done an amazing job with both the posters above this.

Given the advances in science over the last 100 years - do you really believe they don't know the "long-term" effects of vaping?

It's food flavouring, vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol - nothing else.

A simple Google search

"

Is propylene glycol harmful to humans?

Propylene glycol is “generally recognized as safe” by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (FDA 2017). FDA considers an average daily dietary intake of 23 mg/kg of body weight to be safe for persons 2–65 years of age (ATSDR 2008). Various foods, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical products contain propylene glycol."

Is vegetable glycerin in vape safe?

Is vegetable glycerine safe? VG is generally recognised as safe (GRAS) by the US Food and Drug Administration. As VG is vegetable-based, it has a much lower toxicity than PG or nicotine, so it's safe to use in E-Liquids for vaping.

All these substances have been studied to high heaven by scientists. If there was some "mysterious compound" that could cause harm, I strongly suspect that we would have not only found out it by now - but we would have found it years ago. 

Vaping has been around since around the mid 2000s - we have hundreds of thousands of examples of people who have been vaping and are not dead or dying as a result of vaping. We cannot say the same about tobacco - yet it's freely sold in supermarkets, etc and is still very much readily available.

According to the British Medical Association, vaping is 97% safer than tobacco. In later years they said it was probably even safer. 

So, we have what we can scientifically describe as a "safe cigarette" at this point. There are no "heavy metals" or "popcorn lung" or "ivali" etc - if you do even the minimum of research, you'll see all of these vaping myths debunked. It doesn't take a genius to know that this is the tobacco lobby hammering into the general population a "fear" of vaping. A fear that does not exist at all - but the mainstream media in concert with the tobacco companies have done a fantastic job of demonising vapes - and it's working everywhere. Lives that could saved? Millions in the long-term. People the tobacco company are sending to their deaths by demonising vapes? Millions. This is totally avoidable mass-murder on a global scale.

The science is on the side of vaping. There are no dangers - if there were, the tobacco companies would have them plastered over every single billboard you walk past. The compounds have been studied to death by scientists well before anyone started vaping.

If you want to drag out that old chestnut about "we don't know the long-term effects of vaping" then you are parroting exactly what the tobacco companies want you to think and say. 

I will say this - you are lucky if you are in the UK because the tobacco lobby in just about every other country have hammered vapes into the ground and are maintaining a full scale assault on vaping wherever possible - with the loving assistance of most mainstream media outlets.  Combine this with big tobacco infiltrating the vape market solely to destroy it (quite intentionally) from within (Juul - go read some of what the CEO said when they first started and were 'warned' about advertising vapes to kids - it's all laid out bare. They used Juul (disposable vapes) like a Trojan horse to grab the market and then kill it - and again, they've done a fantastic job, sadly) I'm  very much in favour of banning disposable vapes - they should never have been allowed on the market in the first place.

We are sending people to their deaths on a daily basis - we are quite literally killing ourselves by not banning tobacco and shifting over to vapes completely. And there is no scientific reason why we shouldn't be doing this to save lives. None. Zero. Zilch.

For an accurate view of the state of vaping (and the nefarious tactics used by those hell-bent on demonising it) then check out this video here (and the channel) 

Well, I'm allergic to PEG and so are many other people.

It really depends on your setup. 

Yes, if you buy some cheap n' cheerful Chinese disposable vape from your mate down the pub - then there's a chance you may get the burning plastic, metals, etc. (and god knows what else)

I wouldn't go near disposable vapes if you paid me - and banning them would be a great step in the right direction. They're clearly marketed to attract attention and are a bitch to dispose of, creating tonnes of lithium waste that cannot be recycled. This is what big tobacco (Juul) has brought to the table - and they've done it with a very specific intention. 

Stick to trusted brands and quality products and there are none of the dangers you describe. 

It took me about a year of vaping/tobacco together before I finally made the switch. I'd urge you to try again. Ultimately, you need to come to the realisation that you only smoke because your body craves nicotine. It isn't the 'wonderful aroma of tobacco' that draws you in - it's nicotine. Once your brain accepts this, then when you do switch over, you'll never go back to ciggies or rolling tobacco. I honestly couldn't smoke a cigarette now - but, as a smoker, in 25 years of smoking I never lasted more than 24 hours with a smoke. It feels like I'm smoking wood chippings or sawdust - from the two or three puffs I've had of tobacco in these last 6 or so years. You need to make that mental leap - that the only reason you're lighting up is nicotine, nothing else.

The way I look at this, I remember when e-cigarettes (electronic cigarettes) were introduced, they were sold and marketed as an alternative aid to quit smoking, as they looked like cigarettes and satisfied the nicotine craving, without the harmful 'cancer-causing' effects of inhaling tobacco smoke.

I had one from ROK at the time, and while I never had any success at actually quitting smoking, I do think it helped for a time, and maybe if I had a bit more willpower I might have succeeded.

The thing with 'vapes' is that they followed on after the e-cigarettes, but seemed to me to be a lot more cumbersome to use, with multi-piece devices.

These were initially also marketed as smoking cessation aids. However it seems that some kind of 'culture' developed around vaping, and it has somehow become 'trendy' and 'cool' to be seen to be vaping.

While I'm glad that fewer young people are taking up smoking cigarettes - presumably because they are so unaffordable now - it is disheartening to see so many youngsters, even many under the age of 16, puffing away on cheap disposable vape devices instead.

These should never have been something that anyone would ever consider using if they'd never gone near a cigarette before.

It's just replacing one addiction with another.

I still smoke cigarettes, and I will at some point give them up of my own accord, but in the meantime I won't be turning to e-cigarettes or vapes again.

• Like 1