what would happen to modern civilisation if the electricity went down for weeks or more due to carrington event

what would happen to our civilisation if electricity was cut off for months? could we cope?getting water and food supplies would be the biggest problem and keeping warm if winters are cold..would society break down? 100 years ago it wouldnt be a problem but now with 8 billion on the planet and alot dependent on infrastructure and technology to survive? the snowflake generation will no doubt find it the hardest to cope..

Edited by masonfreeparty2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps if folks weren't so dependent on the internet they would be able to see that their own capabilities are far greater than the computers they are all hooked on. The internet makes it much easier to control our lives.

Propaganda spreads in an instant, fights break out over nothing, people lose their humanity and argue over utter nonsense.

During the last war they tried it with leaflets. Now we have AI etc.

We didn't have internet when I was a kid and life was much more free in many ways.

The internet can be a prison if you allow it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2023 at 3:03 PM, masonfreeparty2 said:

what would happen to our civilisation if electricity was cut off for months? could we cope?getting water and food supplies would be the biggest problem and keeping warm if winters are cold..would society break down? 100 years ago it wouldnt be a problem but now with 8 billion on the planet and alot dependent on infrastructure and technology to survive? the snowflake generation will no doubt find it the hardest to cope..

A lot of people would die.

Think of all the people with conditions and disabilities reliant on electricity for life support. 
Generators would cover it for a time, but eventually fuel availability would end too.

Garages would be turned over for fuel, supermarkets would be looted for food, once that all runs out, large warehouses would also be looted. Think yourself lucky if you live near a supermarket distribution warehouse. 

Once that’s all over, the riots and killings would begin, and they’d send the military in to restore order. They probably won’t be English speaking British troops, so you can imagine what could happen. 
Cannibal zombie gangs would become common, roaming the streets for stragglers to eat (maybe not!?!). 

There’ll be a small contingent of hardy survivors, preppers who got their shit together years ago. 
They’ll be targeted also but if they can evade detection and capture they may survive indefinitely. 

All the while, the sanctuary of the soon-to-be constructed, great reset smart cities will be waiting in the wings, the sickly fatty smell of maccy Ds enticing citizens back into the ‘real world’ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alexa said:

~Just make sure you have Gun, candles & loads of reading glasses & most of all make sure you have Jesus on your side.

Non of those things will feed you or save you. If you dont have food, shelter and water you die. 

2 minutes ago, RobinJ said:

Non of those things will feed you or save you. If you dont have food, shelter and water you die. 

A gun will, you can kill the wild life to eat & the candles and reading glasses will save you by reading the Bible and getting saved via JC. So there 🤪:classic_biggrin:

48 minutes ago, alexa said:

A gun will, you can kill the wild life to eat & the candles and reading glasses will save you by reading the Bible and getting saved via JC. So there 🤪:classic_biggrin:

I'd prefer to spend my waking hours fighting for survival than sitting reading and hoping for divine intervention.

That's not to say I don't have beliefs of my own, it's just that I don't believe the 'Army of the Lord' can save me, or anyone, for that matter.

In the words of The Killers ...

'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.'

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

I'd prefer to spend my waking hours fighting for survival than sitting reading and hoping for divine intervention.

I don't hope for divine intervention as I know it would happen, as for survival - Well that's what the gun is for. 

8 hours ago, webtrekker said:

That's not to say I don't have beliefs of my own, it's just that I don't believe the 'Army of the Lord' can save me, or anyone, for that matter.

In the words of The Killers ...

'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.'

Indeed. Still a lot of programming folks need to shed. It really is amazing how brainwashed people are for the hollywood good/bad hero stuff. Its tedious now at this point when so much real truth is available.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bombadil said:

I will relax in my garden with my homegrown food, renewable energy and clean drinking water. If it’s cold I will sit by a nice cosy fire.

Lots to read and plenty of jobs to maintain my way of living.

not even gonna lie, the way you describe that sounds relaxing actually lol.

what do you use for renewable energy?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skotfreezy said:

not even gonna lie, the way you describe that sounds relaxing actually lol.

what do you use for renewable energy?

I have a small wind turbine. Plus water small water turbine. I use these because there both fairly easy to repair and maintain.

This covers my electricity and heating. Unless no wind. Then I go without.

Im currently looking into better energy storage. Not cheap, so im looking at ways to improvise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bombadil said:

I have a small wind turbine. Plus water small water turbine. I use these because there both fairly easy to repair and maintain.

This covers my electricity and heating. Unless no wind. Then I go without.

Im currently looking into better energy storage. Not cheap, so im looking at ways to improvise.

Having lived in or near big cities or towns my whole life I now live off grid. Best thing i ever did. No traffic, no loud neighbor's and not much mobile signal. Very dark nights without light pollution. Awesome.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RobinJ said:

Having lived in or near big cities or towns my whole life I now live off grid. Best thing i ever did. No traffic, no loud neighbor's and not much mobile signal. Very dark nights without light pollution. Awesome.

Hope you don’t mind me asking, but you obviously bought the land that you live on now? 
Can you even do that, rock up to some remote forest and build a log cabin? 

Do you use solar panels, have water purification facilities etc?

Been studying this area for a few yrs now, it’d be hard but I reckon I could do it. 
Perfected cob bricks (for my areas soil at least) and know how to build a rocket stove water heater, with underfloor piping for heating etc. 

Basic animal trapping, horticulture, wild water collecting, settlement camouflage and evasion techniques. 

It’s a lot of hard work, I know that

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LastOneLeftInTheCounty said:

Hope you don’t mind me asking, but you obviously bought the land that you live on now? 
Can you even do that, rock up to some remote forest and build a log cabin? 

Do you use solar panels, have water purification facilities etc?

Been studying this area for a few yrs now, it’d be hard but I reckon I could do it. 
Perfected cob bricks (for my areas soil at least) and know how to build a rocket stove water heater, with underfloor piping for heating etc. 

Basic animal trapping, horticulture, wild water collecting, settlement camouflage and evasion techniques. 

It’s a lot of hard work, I know that

I use charcoal and sand for filtration. Plus boiling. I also have a silver flask. In theory will kill the germs straight from the river. The copious amounts of chemicals and sewage are another mater.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 7:05 AM, webtrekker said:

I'd rather have Bear Grylls by my side!

Too much hobnobbin' with the 'leets' if you ask me

Running Wild with Bear Grylls

Main article: Running Wild with Bear Grylls

In this adventure TV series from NBC, which premiered on 28 July 2014, Grylls takes celebrities on a two-day trip in the wilderness. The celebrities who took part in Season 1 are Zac Efron, Ben Stiller, Tamron Hall, Deion Sanders, Channing Tatum, and Tom Arnold. Celebrities who took part in Season 2 were Kate Winslet, Kate Hudson, Drew Brees, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ed Helms, Michelle Rodriguez, Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar, Rajanikanth, India's prime minister Narendra Modi, James Marsden, Michael B. Jordan, and President Barack Obama.

Now, for me at least there's Ray Mears, 👍

While filming a documentary in Wyoming, US in 2005, Mears was involved in a serious accident. The helicopter in which he and his camera crew were travelling hit the ground during a steep low level turn, and broke apart, rolling to a stop. The fuel tank was ruptured in the accident and escaping fuel covered Mears and the crew. No fire occurred, and Mears was able to escape the wreckage uninjured and assist in the rescue and administer first aid to one of the crew who was badly hurt.

In a Radio Times interview to promote the series, Mears complained of being typecast by the BBC with the result that he was not offered the opportunity to present wildlife programmes. Mears was a guest on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs in January 2014. His choices were "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones, "English Rose" by the Jam, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles, "Annie's Song" by John Denver, "Maria" by Blondie, "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall, "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" by Elton John and "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone.

Anyone that includes the Jam in their record collection gets my vote, 👍

Jumping out of crashed helicopters, rescuing the rest of the crew, now that is the kind of skill that indeed comes in handy, :classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bombadil said:

I use charcoal and sand for filtration. Plus boiling. I also have a silver flask. In theory will kill the germs straight from the river. The copious amounts of chemicals and sewage are another mater.

That’s great you mentioned silver, I invested in a colloidal silver maker over a decade ago, make it with distilled water then put into dripper bottles. I put a few drops in my milk bottle, usually bog standard supermarket milk goes off in 3 or 4 days during the summer, the silver treated milk is two weeks old and still fresh! It’s a great antiseptic too, any cuts I just drop some on, it disinfects and heals the wound twice as fast as normal. Don’t even use plasters it’s so quick, it’s best to apply, then watch it clot up and air dry, then another few drops, then air dry wound again. Next day it’s basically good as new! 

Try using zeolite rocks in the middle part of you filter, they are cheap from any aquatics shop. Removes ammonia and heavy metals, plus keeps ph stable and adds volcanic minerals. 

3 hours ago, Bombadil said:

You can keep him. Ill take Ray Mears.

Ray Mears is the original gangster imo.

Bear is good too but no one beats good ol Ray

• Thanks 1